Expat life in the Reykjavik area

Good evening everyone :)

I'm very new to this forum and would like to get a first impression of what life as an expat in Iceland could be.
I'm French, living in the UK for now 6 years, and will (fingers crossed!) be moving to Iceland for two years around this very time next summer :)
I am hoping to get a place as a student, and would be based in the Reykjavik area. I would like to gather information about "social life opportunities", meaning, how to really maximize my time in this beautiful country.
I have gotten used to the anglo-american-ish organisation of universities, with their endless lists of student societies and clubs, and it has become a part of me to truly engage in activities and share my passions with a lot of people. I would like to know how the "scene" is for this in Iceland (anything ranging from hiking clubs, contribution to local journals, photography exhibitions, alternative cinema, general sports, language teaching and tuition... ect...)
I am also hoping to arrive in Iceland with an "operational" level of Icelandic and do my best to master it rapidly.

Many thanks for reading me :)

SAME HERE 2

Me, too - thinking of going for 3 months next year. Then defrost in South America  :D