Canadians looking to move to Malta

Hello everyone, We two Canadians are looking to move to Malta. We are retired but still relatively youngish (late40's) Any Canadians who have made the same move that are not working? We would love to know what you needed to do to get residency. Thanks so much, Emile

Amigo donde queda malta??? es Mexico si no es Mexico.. metete al foro DE ESA CIUDAD, PAIS O CIUDAD PERDON MI IGNORACIA.

MARIA MARTINEZ PADILLA wrote:

Amigo donde queda malta??? es Mexico si no es Mexico.. metete al foro DE ESA CIUDAD, PAIS O CIUDAD PERDON MI IGNORACIA.

Where is Malta? Look on a map.
Malta is here.

Hi,

it will boil down to the question of money !

You can either apply for the Global Residence Programme with minimum tac payment of 15.000 € /year and a 15 % tax rate on income ( check out the details) or you can go outright and buy your Maltese passport ( see details) and preliminary residence requirements.

All other forms of residency for non-EU citizens are based on a work permit or just temporary ( if econimic self- sufficient) for one year at a time or to study . The risk is being kicked out after 3 to 4 years residency as Malta will not let you be resident for 5 years as this entitles to Permanent Residency.

So to answer your question, you need money. Around 1 million Euro's will buy you the passport which is the best option.

Cheers
Ricky

Welcome to Malta.  My wife and I are from Canada and moved here 4 months ago.  We live in St Julians and we love it.  We do both work and are in the process of getting our residence permits.  If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me.