RNE,Certificate of Life & Permanent Visa

Dear William James,

Wish You & Members Green Day!

Your Suggestions really helped me regarding my birth certificate query.

By 4th November, we will get Marriage Certificate(Casamento Registration) from Embassy of Brazil, New Delhi(India). 

My Queries -
1. I am planning to go to Brazil. Instead of Tourist Visa, can i apply for Permanent Visa? As i am married to Brazilian Woman and have Marriage Certificate too.

2.Can i apply for RNE (National Registration for Foreigners)?

3.What is 'Certificate of Life - Non Brazilians'. Can i apply for it before, i travel to Brazil?

With Regards,

Anil

Hello AKS6226,

Yes, if you are legally married (civil or religous ceremony that has force of law) then you can register the foreign marriage at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil. The trick is that ONLY the Brazilian spouse can do this and it must be done in person. So if your Brazilian wife is not there in India then you're out of luck.

Once you've registered the marriage at the Consulado then you can apply for your VIPER Permanent Visa there, the documents are ALL exactly the same as required for any VIPER application see the last part of the document list in topic:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280525

I've never heard of a Certificate of Life - non Brazilians before, perhaps you can tell me where you saw this and I can check it out, there wasn't anything on the internet either.

The RNE is the last part of the VIPER process, it is registration and obtaining the ID card. It can ONLY be done once you're here in Brazil.

Thank You Very Much WJWoodward for your prompt reply.

Yes, my wife is in India and we are personally going to Brazil Embassy for Registering our Marriage there.

To save time, money and paper work - after registering marriage, and after receiving the Marriage Certificate from Brazil Embassy, i am thinking of applying for Permanent Visa.
The important documents i need to submit is - Police Clearance Certificate(India).

Below is the link for 'Certificate of Life - Non Brazilians'

http://novadelhi.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us … ilians.xml

Well, that's really a new one on me, and just another sign of how differently the Brazilian government treats citizens of India and Pakistan. One more hoop to jump through, as if they haven't already got enough.

Absolutely ridiculous that you've got to go to a notary in person fill out this document and have it notarized, just to PROVE that you're a real live person. I mean really now, as if somebody who doesn't even exist would be applying to register a marriage with a Brazilian. If this wasn't so sad, and so screwed up it would make me laugh, but it just makes me want to cry.

So yes, you're going to have to go to the trouble and added expense of filling it out and having it notarized. Something that NOBODY from other countries has to do, just Pakistanis and Indians. I've never seen anything so stupid or unjust in my life.But that's Brazil for you!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, it is something that I've never heard of before, so you've taught me something very important that will allow me to help your fellow countrymen in a similar situation.

Thank You Very Much  WJWoodward again for your explanation and meaning for 'Certificate of Life'. It is really surprising. Maybe Brazil faced few fake Indians & Pakistanis.

About Permanent Visa - Can i apply for Permanent Visa immediately after Registering Marriage at Brazil Embassy(I mean getting Brazil Marriage Certificate)?

Yes, you can probably do it all at the same time even. Ask them.

Just remember that when you do get to Brazil, you will also have to register the marriage at the 1º Oficio do Registro Civil either in Brasília or the Brazilian city where you live (the choice is yours), in order for the marriage to have legal effect in Brazil.