Ofie marrage

Hi could anyone tell me of a cheap lawyer that deals in hassament papers
i was marryed to my egyptian husband for only 8mths then he changed and started beating me ect i mangedf to leave and return to england leqaving all my items behind  anyroad  after 3yrs away i returned to luxor to see a friend thinking every thing would be ok but my husband saw me and beat me up badly,the police did nothing im returning again and been told i can get a harssment paper lawyer said first he needs to find if marriage was registered ect in all he says its going to cost £800 i think way to much    can any one help  if he does attake me again i can then have him put in jail

Why in the world would you even think of going back to Egypt under these circumstances? Do you have any idea at all of the risk you would be placing yourself in? You are just asking for trouble if you return. (You'll probably find it too)

You don't stand any chance of protecting yourself from this man in HIS OWN COUNTRY. The cards are all stacked against you right from the very beginning. The authorities are NOT going to take any steps to protect you for the simple fact that you are not an Egyptian and because you're a woman.

If you think that you are going to manage somehow to have him arrested and jailed, better think again. That won't happen even in your wildest dreams and whoever told you that is would (or even could) has been lying to you.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

hi the embassy in cairo told me i would be proteced  i have to go back its where i live my house is there and i cant sell yet. The embassy give me a list of lawyers so i wrote to a few they say its going to cost me £800 and i can get a divorce paper and a harassment order to keep him away  my question is £8oo seems a lot.and does anyone know a lawyer that will do it cheaper i found out this morning the orfi paper wasnt regestered so we arnt married

I  think my sister is being riped off her so called husband has asked her for £1500 for a operation  he suffers from high blood pressure,and ended up in hos the other day he was told he had a anurisum  and needs a op   would it really cost that much,i know u dont do national health but want happens when a egyptian man needs a opp and cant pay do they do it for free or have to find the money  they have to go asult   it would be intresting to find out from others if they think its true or is he just after more money

Well, I wish I could share the optimism of the Consulate and the lawyer you spoke to. First of all the
harassment order isn't worth more than that roll of paper in your WC, trust me. If this man has already assaulted you, what makes you think for one second that he's going to obey an order that NOBODY enforces in the first place. Is the British Consulate-General going to provide you with body armor or an armed guard? Clearly they won't. Why would you waste £800 on a so-called divorce anyway when there is noting to be dissolved judicially in the first place. Orfi marriages have absolutely NO legal effect. See:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=410834

If you're already in the UK where you're safe, you're obviously living SOMEWHERE. You can arrange Power of Attorney for somebody to conduct sale of the house in Egypt for you and you don't even need to be there at all.

Regarding your sister's situation, is her husband an Egyptian too? Is her marriage also an orfi marriage? And just what do other Egyptians do if they need to be hospitalized and can't afford it? She should find out and that's exactly what she should tell her husband to do! Sorry, but it's beginning to look like the pair of you are being taken advantage of and simply because you're allowing it, IMHO. Why is it always so much harder for women to think with their heads rather than their hearts when it comes to personal relationships? It's a blank check for disaster in most cases, especially in male dominated cultures.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi.
My first word to you is not to use the lawyers that your Embassy recommend. My friend did and the lawyer stole all her money. She complained to the British Embassy and they would not accept any responsibility. You mention £800... I am assuming you mean English pounds... That in my view is way too much.

To be honest everyone here in Egypt can be 'bought' so even if you got a harassment protection order you would not be guaranteed protection. Maybe you could rent your house out in Luxor until you could sell it. You could then rent an flat in another area. I know it sounds melodramatic but maybe you need to 'disguise' yourself when you are out and about.

I know a very trustworthy lawyer here in Hurghada but not one in Luxor. I will give you a link here for an Egypt expats facebook page and maybe someone on there will be able to recommend someone for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Expats.Egypt/

With regard to your sister.... needing operations is a common way of getting money from foreigners. If he did need surgery it would more likely be 1500 EGP not English pounds.

I wish I could do more to help.

Hi
I just read your posts
I am a female married to an egyptian man for 6 yrs. do not go back you have no protection an irfi marriage is bogus  your property may be a big issue unless it's solely in your name 

Your sister well my advise is do not pay anything

Egyptians lie about money constantly this is not just experience it's other people's too along with violence cheating etc  I have lost my house, my job ended up on the streets and that's in UK with him I also am now under a neurologist due to injuries from him. 
I was too frightened to report him to police even here I now live in fear he will find me again as he has indefinite leave so can come and go   So trust me don't spend one more penny in fact get your sister home in UK

Have tried dealing with the situation through your embassy?

i am sorry and feel a shame that you had this bad experience ,,,,my cousin is  lawyer but he is in cairo,,if you are interesting let me know and i wish i can help you.
sorry again for this bad experience and believe me not all egyptian same as your husband
good luck and you are welcome in cairo anytime
best regards
Dr.Hazem

bravezeco1  Hi thanks for ur message   thanks for ur help i do need some good advise so please let me know again if u can help