Moving to and working in Rincon and surrounding areas?

Hi all,

We are a family of four +2 four legged creatures. Mom, dad, 8 yr old boy and 2 yr old little girl, golden retriever and "the cat".

Well traveled, well educated, easy going, very familiar with beach/island life and doing okay economically.

Dad has owned resort development, consulting, sales and marketing business for almost 20 years. Prior to that built over 100 homes in San Diego, partner in resort in Belize for 3 years including all property management operations and way back lots of restaurant bar tending and server experience. Lived in Belize, St. Maarten and St. Thomas for a total of 6 years.

Mom is very artistic and has beach wedding planning and day of experience, as well as, extensive resort marketing background.

We are wanting to slow it down a lot and hopefully work with a resort who seeks some new energetic and creative eyes and ears and helpful hands. Hotels looking for new revenue streams and increased year round occupancy, struggling condo projects, hec even on site managers and of course always open to lease and or manage existing cafe/bar.

Dad surfed his whole life at Law St and Tourmaline in SD and Malibu Point and Pier in LA. Looking to get wet daily again and teach the boy and girl. Missing sunsets and down to earth people.

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas, advise or needs for a family like ours...please drop us a note.

Take care.

S,E,S & S...oh and Maggie the golden retriever and Mr. Green the cat also...

Hi S,E,S & S...Maggie and Mr. Green,

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand
Expat.com Team

Welcome!  I love your name, foursandybutts :)  Sounds like you are a well traveled family!

Hi All,

I thought there was a specific post for moving to Rincon...but I can't find it.  I am moving to Rincon in June!!!  I'm so excited!  I was there last week, found a house in Estella community (complete with roaming chickens), and am moving :)  So, we arrive first week of June.  So, I learned a little, but still have questions...1) I will have to set up Claro for my cell/data service, correct?  That is best option....right?!?!?  And, 2) Any advice anyone can give.  3) healthcare?  dentists?  schools?  I found a lot about schools in other places, but not Rincon.

I have 2 children, aged 10 and 12.  I have some friends who live in Arecibo, Aguada, and Mayaguez, but they don't know a lot about Rincon specifically.  So, I'm looking for advice from anyone if they have it.

Anyone on the PR list in Rincon, I would love to meet up when I am there!!  Four Sandy Butts...are you guys in Rincon?!!?  Anyone else?  I can't remember everyone's names.  Mac?  Golfer moving to East Side :)??

How exciting  for you, etilley23!  We are not there yet, in Rincon,  but hoping for the near future.

Thanks!  you can contact me when you do!

take care,

Liz

We will be back next winter for a visit ;)

You take care, also!

Barbara

I had Claro for about 10 minutes... literally! The service stopped working, and the guy who installed it (His name is Wilson), never came back, and soon stopped answering his phone (apparently blocking my number). I was told that I'd get free installation, if I sign up for a 1yr contract of service... but was charged $22 for intallation!  After that, I have not paid, since my service has not worked. Everytime I called, and selected English in the menu, I was re-directed to someone in the Dominican Republic, who did not speak English. My bills also did not come to my address, but to a neighbors.  If Choice Cable is available in your neighborhood, go for that! If you don't want Cable TV, then just get internet. I had Choice internet, when I lived in Guayama, and it was reliable. Not as fast as in the mainland, the back bone is via satelite, it services all of the Caribbean, no matter who the provider is. For TV; I have Dish. They've been good for me. I looked into Direct TV, but I've read about too many billing hassles. On paper, they do look as good, or better than Dish. As for me, my house is not serviced by Choice.

I cannot say this experience is "normal" or "typical" for Claro, but this has been my experience with them. Particularly important, is the ability to convey my concerns over service. If you cannot contact someone in English, and their service is shoddy, then you've got a problem.

Mac-

Thank you Mac!  What is nice to know is that there are options.  Everyone I talked to said "Claro", so I thought I would be stuck.  My job depends on online service, but I don't have to have superfast, just a reliable form of communication.  I will check out both Dish and Choice.  I may look at DirectTV as well.  I had them once before.  We do not have a TV in our house, but we may have to get one.  I hear it is a great way to help with Spanish!

I agree with Mac. If you can stay away from Claro, do it. It was the only option for us for a long time and I've been fighting with them because of the horrible service for years.

Thanks...just learned that Spring might be a great option!

Spring? Do you mean Sprint? That's what we have now. I wrote about that in this forum some time ago. Let me find that post for you.

What...you mean you haven't heard of Spring?!?!? OK, whoops, yes, I meant Sprint.  Thanks. :)

Check my post in this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=431263

Thanks!!

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the info!  I briefly looked at everything you said.  I have to get back to work, and will come back on a little later, but it looks like the gist is you need your own business to get the unlimited data package.  We are in the 20 to 30 gig range in our household, including work.  It sounds like I may have to look at something like Choice Cable for internet, then settle for a cell, but not use it for my data.  That's what I do now.  So, everything is connected through the cell.  I'll be doing more research and really appreciate this information!!

Liz

I have Choice and it works very well. Just internet runs $42 and change. Setup was pain free and efficient.