Music scene and social circles in KL

Hi all,

I've just joined this site and it seems really informative. I'm basically looking for advice on any bars or locations that you've been to in KL to watch live music or if anyone knows of any groups people are joined to where you go together? I've been living here for a year now with my husband and we've visited a few places like 'No Black Tie' on Changkat but would love to find new places and broaden our social circle. Any help would be great!

Hi HpjHardesty,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi there are expat social groups join those and you will meet many people including other couples - as more expats are single these days than in past.

As for music Malaysian tastes stretch to r&b for Malay and techno for Chinese as I am sure you are aware. Usually 5 years out of date. Live seems to be god awful bands playing zombie (I hate that song!). There used to be more live bands (Filipinos) but must be visa issues these days. Personally I found Thailand far better for live music even the country bands were at least lively! There are occasional visiting singers/bands I went to an American jazz singer at the apartment last year (an international expat group event) and that was good. If you look around you do get these and pretty good standard.

Hi there!

You can try The Bee, they always have live music. not sure about the schedule though, I think mostly on the weekends. Theres one in Publika and another one in Jaya One.
You can also check out Merdekarya. They always have local (and sometimes international) artists to perform. go to their facebook to check out the schedule.
There are more, like Alexis also Pisco Bar. But I'd recommend The Bee and Merdekarya.
Hope this helps!

Thanks so much Pipiempuk, that's great to know. We're actually heading to Pisco Bar to try it out this weekend. I'll let you know! ;-)