Moving to Nanba Sichuan

Hi everyone. Please give me feedback about this place. In terms of trasportation, people, food and internet service.

I'll be working in Chuandongbei Gas Plant, Nanba, Sichuan Province starting next month and your information will be of great help for me to know what to expect in the area.

Thank you so much in advance!

I can't offer any specific information on that city. However there only a few internet providers Chinatelecom is probably the most likely choice. You'll want to get a VPN to acess FB and YT (there's an entire thread dedicated to VPN).
Food will probably be of Sichuan style... spicy and delicious IMHO haha!

You may want to check with your HR office about any specific details. If memory serves me right... you were hired by Chevron. So I'm pretty certain they can answer a few of your questions... such as internet is provided with your housing, etc.

Good luck

Kris

Oh,I always wanted to go there.It is a real great place.Nice people and nice food,yes spicy.I have heard so much about the capital of Sichuan,Chengdu.You can google it first.I think you will enjoy your time there.

There are pandas in the forest.It's dump there I think.It's in Sichuan Basin.That's the reason why they need spicy food.

Yes,Grandpa Deng is from Sichuan.

Wish you luck.

Berry

Thanks Kris, you've always been a great help! I was actually thinking about the same thing, company will provide me internet service along with the accommodation. I was only thinking of a back up in case they don't. I actually did a little research, about spicy food, the pandas, the transportation and the area. I even read about the earthquake that took place in 2008 where there were thousands of people died, and the last earthquake happened in the area was just this April and there were a little over hundred people died. But I can't find anywhere about the internet service, and I'm a little concerned about that. Because I need an internet to keep in touch with my family everyday. I'm worried because maybe the my working area might be isolated where internet provider can't reach. But I think, I got nothing to worry about. I think all areas there have internet service.

Thanks again Kris! I appreciate all your info!

berrylew wrote:

Oh,I always wanted to go there.It is a real great place.Nice people and nice food,yes spicy.I have heard so much about the capital of Sichuan,Chengdu.You can google it first.I think you will enjoy your time there.

There are pandas in the forest.It's dump there I think.It's in Sichuan Basin.That's the reason why they need spicy food.

Wish you luck.

Berry

Thanks berrylew, I feel a little relieved after reading your feedback. I have completely no idea what would be the place like. Your interest in visiting the place is more than enough to tell me that I got nothing to worry about. yeah, I've read about the pandas and that's one more exciting thing i wanna see myself. If you have more information about the place, please let me know.

Thank you for the your time in sharing this informative feedback. I hope to hear again from you soon.

I was a teacher at Mianyang Foreign Languages School in Sichuan Province of the People's Republic of China.  I was discharged after 30 days.  I received no salary, severance, or travel reimbursement.

Do you support discharged foreign teachers not being paid at British Columbia Ministry of Education certified schools?

Sam_Cabc wrote:

I was a teacher at Mianyang Foreign Languages School in Sichuan Province of the People's Republic of China.  I was discharged after 30 days.  I received no salary, severance, or travel reimbursement.

Do you support discharged foreign teachers not being paid at British Columbia Ministry of Education certified schools?

This is off topic... never the less... a lesson can be learned by all... read your contract properly...and remeber it's not what is written in the contract that only counts... but is missing from the contract as well.

It's quite possible there was a 30 to 90 day probationary period on your contract. In which case your employer has the right to "let you go" without oweing you anything.

Kris

There was no such provision.  Who would actually go to China with a 30 day probationary period or any such period?  That is absurd and contrary to SAFE regulation.

musikenhinyero wrote:
berrylew wrote:

Wish you luck.

Berry

Thanks berrylew, I feel a little relieved after reading your feedback. I have completely no idea what would be the place like. Your interest in visiting the place is more than enough to tell me that I got nothing to worry about. yeah, I've read about the pandas and that's one more exciting thing i wanna see myself. If you have more information about the place, please let me know.

Thank you for the your time in sharing this informative feedback. I hope to hear again from you soon.

If you want to hear something serious from me,then find a local friend there soon as you get there.He or she will do great help.And you won't feel so lonely I think.

Berry

Sam_Cabc wrote:

There was no such provision.  Who would actually go to China with a 30 day probationary period or any such period?  That is absurd and contrary to SAFE regulation.

Every contract has a probationary period... even locals have this provision.

It isn't absurd for employers; this is their way of protecting themselves against weak employees coming from abroad.

Even I had this provision; in my case it was 90 days. Had I been let go, I would not have tucked tail and left China but found other employment.

Kris

musikenhinyero wrote:

Hi everyone. Please give me feedback about this place. In terms of trasportation, people, food and internet service.

I'll be working in Chuandongbei Gas Plant, Nanba, Sichuan Province starting next month and your information will be of great help for me to know what to expect in the area.

Thank you so much in advance!

Have you started work yet?  I am considering employment at Chevron's Chuandongbei plant.  I've worked in Chendu region and understand big picture, but am curious about local and jobsite issues...transport, activities, etc.

I am expecting also to move in Chuandongbei Gas Plant, Nanba, Sichuan Province but it is very difficult to get information about the place. My previous work is in Seoul South Korea for two years it is a nice place, people are friendly to foreigner. The first one month stay I learned how to communicate to other Korean people. I think Nanba, Sichuan Province slightly the same in Province of Korea very little chance to meet people can speak English but I think I can adjust easily because in manila so many Chinese people and they are friendly too  :)

Hi musikenhinyero, I'm native in sichuan, i live in the capital city chengdu. I guess chuandongbei means northeast of sichuan. but i really have no idea about Nanba …… i guess it should be nanchong and bazhong two cities(p.s i was born in nanchong city! Ehehhehe……) if u have the chinese writing , i may help u more. Bye!

My husband has been offered a job at Chuandongbei Gas Plant Nanba, does anyone know if I (his wife) could move out there too, or is the plant too far away from any town for that to be possible?

Hi, I was wondering if you have started your job at the Chuandonbei Gas Plant yet? Any information about the area would be very helpful, as can't seem to find much information on the place. Is there a town close by?

Many Thanks
Shazza

Shazza,
I will start working at the Gas Plant near Nanba in December and have found it hard to get information as well. Have you had any luck?

Hi TheRob for how long do you stay at a time in Nanba?

Normal rotation is 28 days in Nanba and 28 days back in the USA.

which part of US and just curious what do you do?

TheRob which part of US do you stay?

I live in the South East near the Gulf Coast.

It seems that there have been no recent updates to this thread.  Has anyone actually spent any time in Nanba?  I work for Chevron and am considering to post for a 28/28 rotator assignment at Chuandongbei (CDB) Gas Plant.  Can you comment on the internet / wifi availability in Nanba?  It is important to me to FaceTime daily with my wife and son.  I'm curious on the internet quality & availability.  Thanks!

To BillyLoon,
I have been in Nanba since December, what type work do you have experience in and what job are you thinking about posting for? Which Chevron facility do you work at now?

Rodson wrote:

To BillyLoon,
I have been in Nanba since December, what type work do you have experience in and what job are you thinking about posting for? Which Chevron facility do you work at now?

Hi Rodson,

I'm currently the Interface Manager (AIR Manager – sort of like a Deputy PM) on a SASBU MCP.  I have worked SASBU projects since 2009 and spent some time in Malongo, where I see you have also been.  I'm Houston-based but I get over to Malongo and Congo a few times per year.  My current project is projecting First Oil in 3 months, so I'm in the fall PDC. 

Currently I'm looking at the open CDB FE Project Engineer and CDB Sr. Construction Engineer rotational positions.  I'm a registered Professional Engineer, degreed Civil Engineer also with MBA, 13 years industry experience, including 6 years working in design engineering, operations, and construction roles for a large natural gas pipeline company.  I joined Chevron in 2008 on a domestic gas project in Piceance Basin, Colorado, supporting engineering and construction efforts on a Phase 3-4 tight gas development. 

That's my background anyhow.  How do you like CDB and Nanba?  Seems like the project has experienced some delays…which one hasn't?!

Billy,
I will be back in seat by Aug 1st, you can reach me at "ropj", I can fill you in then.

Thanks Rodney, I found you in the system.  I'm TTLU.  The 2 jobs I'm interested in report to Clinton/Dave and Lance/Robin.  I'm sure you know them.

Anyhow, these postings close on 7/28 so I'll probably decide to post next week.  I've exchanged a few emails with Dave to get some more info in the meantime.

Thanks again.

Dave and Robin should be in seat now and can answer any questions you may have, I would say to go for it, Nanba is a good place to start a rotation assignment.

Hi Kris,

Appreciate if can advice me based on your knowledge the daily rate for Maintenance advisor in Chuandongbei Gas Plant, Nanba, Sichuan Province. 28/28 rotation, the daily rate paid for working day only.

Regards,

Hi Rodson,

What is the daily rate for maintenance advisor position in Chuandongbei Gas Plant, Nanba, Sichuan Province. 28/28 rotation.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Hi! Are you still at the plant in Nanba with Chevron? My husband is set to leave Saturday and we are very much in need of good advice!