Mugtech wrote:
"Hindus eating Big Macs
Either you're on the bus or you're off the bus."

Perry Como sang:
"You've got to accentuate the positive,
Eliminate the negative...
Watch out for Mr. In-Between."

no gray areas-an open and shut case :lol:

Hello; I am not sure I qualify, I have lived in Cuenca, Ecuador for 3+ years and operate a business here. I am not sure that is "living off the grid". But if you want to pick my brain, my email address is: [email protected] or my Miami phone number is 305-897-0694

Barbara's opportunity is mega-excting! I don't qualify, but if you do...I encourage you to participate. It will be fun, fun fun!

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Thank you, Mr. Quintana!

Barbara

Luckydawg wrote:

Hello; I am not sure I qualify, I have lived in Cuenca, Ecuador for 3+ years and operate a business here. I am not sure that is "living off the grid". But if you want to pick my brain, my email address is: [email protected] or my Miami phone number is 305-897-0694

So, three weeks after LA TV Producer Barb started posting this thread, what she's got for her Skype interviews about living off the grid in Ecuador amounts to this:  one businessman in EC's third largest city who has international phone capability.

What does this teach us, class....

She's trolling the Amazon now.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=411485

Hope she can avoid the Amazon black magic voodoo shaman lives who off the land and poisons ungrateful foreigners.

- "It was that I found the finca where he lived on a website that offered volunteer packages in various regions of Ecuador. The website profiled the shaman and the finca as a place to live, work and learn about the Amazon and indigenous culture. It mentioned organic farming, a tranquil, rural location and said that the shaman was respected in the local community. So I paid the volunteer-tour company and traveled to live at the finca for an initial period of just a few weeks. After I was there about a month I asked the shaman  if I could stay longer. I relished the opportunity to learn more about the Amazon region, shamanism and the spirits of the jungle. He agreed and so I paid him to live there and help out on the finca for the next year." -

http://realitysandwich.com/218462/urgen … ssistance/

cccmedia wrote:

So, three weeks after LA TV Producer Barb started posting this thread, what she's got for her Skype interviews about living off the grid in Ecuador amounts to this:  one businessman in EC's third largest city who has international phone capability.

What does this teach us, class....

That people who live off the grid are not coming back on the grid to tell us how to live off the grid.
Shocking.

Most Expats...well...like "the grid"...or...just thinking out loud...those pesky Expats truly living off the grid need to be sourced in person, because people living off the grid tend not to rely too heavily on..say TV...Internet...and fashion jewellery.  Do I win anything for the answer?

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

HGQ2112 wrote:

...those pesky Expats truly living off the grid need to be sourced in person, because people living off the grid tend not to rely too heavily on..say TV...Internet...and fashion jewellery.  Do I win anything for the answer?

Second place.

Darned it...always the silver, never the gold. I feel like the former East German Olympic Team.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Good points Gardenert.

So, let me get this straight: If you are searching for folks living of the grid, how will they know you are looking for them?

Met some adventurous folks in Vilcabamba: a couple operate a coffee shop there and they are from the US so they might have some drop in off-the-gridders dropping by from time to time.

When I took a horseback trip into the mountains close to Vilcabamaba, there were a number of expats living in the hills around the city. Really off the grid. But I believe they were not former US citizens but, rather, europeans.

cccmedia wrote:
Nards Barley wrote:

Does off the grid mean they are living without electricity and potable water, or is it something philosophical?

Good question, Nards.

According to the askwiki website, living off the grid means "living in harmony with nature without using any kind of municipal services."

Potable water could come from a spring or another source not managed by a municipality.

cccmedia, Quito campaign manager, Nards Barley for Presidente 2017

Pensionado,

I posted the above definition a while back on page 1 of this thread.

Literal interpretation of the definition -- the part about municipal services -- does not rule out an off-the-gridder (OTG) visiting one of Ecuador's fine Internet coffee shops from time to time, to obtain news about LA TV producers who are seeking to Skype with them.

very good

BTW, Quito is a fantastic city, loved the huuuge park.

Will be returning to spend more time on the coast and Cuenca.

Saludos y buena suerte!