Cost of Blood Tests in Cairo Hospital

I hope there is someone out there who can give me some information. My Egyptian 'husband' (we have only had an orfi / common law marriage so far, not a legal marriage) has been going to Cairo International Hospital for tests/treatment for a blood disorder since last Christmas. I have been giving him £1,000 (£ not EP!) every month, but I still cant figure out why he needs so much. This is the amount he originally told me it would cost him for the first test (which included which a bone marrow biopsy), but he says he needs the same amount each month. Ok, I know he has to take a return flight from Luxor to Cairo, and he says he must stay in a hotel for 4 or 5 days while he waits for the blood work results (he says he takes his brother with him) but I have no idea what the hospital charges for his blood tests, as I couldn't get to speak on the phone with anyone from the hospital who could tell me :-(   
Can anybody tell me the cost of out-patient blood tests and the cost of drugs such as Hydroxyurea which reduce the platelet count?
I would be really grateful for any information.
Thank you so much in advance
Elaine

£1,000  too much for blood work, unless he is staying in the hospital for at least 15 days @ a time, the max you pay for the entire blood tests/work  is 350 LE - 500 LE / time

Hydroxyurea costs 275 LE/100 tablet...dosage according to MD

Hi Elaine, can you tell me where are you presently, is this husband of yours in Egypt alone without you, if so be careful about money being sucked from you, take extreme care, money does not come from trees.  Instead your husband should take care of you and your health and send you money not the other way round, BE CAREFUL girl. sisterly advice

also here in egypt medical care is very cheap, you cant pay that money its way too much, i guess you are being used financially, please be careful before you loose more

Thank you so much Jeremy.  No, he doesn't stay in the hospital - he is just an out-patient. You have confirmed my fears that I am being ripped off: if I add together 500 EP for the blood tests, 275 EP for the medication, 5 nights in a hotel (@200 EP per night? x 2) and the flights (500EP x 2) plus food/drink for the 5 days, by my reckoning that comes to about 4,700 EP (£470). Mmmmm. I feel a complete fool, but also very hurt and mis-used.
I am grateful to you for your kind help.
Best, Elaine

Hello UmmHamdi     My 'husband' lives with his family in Luxor - his elderly mother, brother and sister-in-law and their 2 children, and 2 sisters. His brother works as a mechanic, but nobody else works. My 'husband' worked in a shop in Hurghada when I met him, but he gave up work (he told me he was working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week,, commission only) when we found out he had a blood disorder which put him at high risk of a thrombosis/heart attack even though he is only 35.
I feel like he is bleeding me dry from afar,  and pressurised when he asks me how he is supposed to buy food and drink now that he has given up his job. Now that his blood count is almost normal because of his medication, he says he is going back to Hurghada for work in another shop, again for commission only.
One thing I really want to know about this expectation / understanding that "no decent Egyptian man would expect a woman to pay for anything" is, how can he if he gets a tiny wage, who lives in a family that is clearly very poor and rely on him to some extent to contribute to the household. Isn't this unreasonable?
Having said that, I feel it is high time to say goodbye to my 'husband'.  Unfortunately, he has both copies of the orfi marriage - his and mine. I don't know how important it is that he has mine, but clearly if he has it I cant tear it up and would have go back to Luxor to get it :-(
Thank you for your message. I can't tell you how good it is to be able to talk to people about my difficulties, and to feel able to trust their answers
Elaine

marry me and i will take care of you...honest to god...skype: mh_united, as for him him having both copies of the paper thats no biggy as long as the papers are not legally reg.  they are not worth anything

Legal registration of Orfi Marriage Papers

Dear Jeremy
How do I know if the papers from our orfi marriage have been registered or not? And registered with whom?   
Thanks
Elaine

are they registered in the British Embassy..or not, if not then as i told they are not worth the ink written with, and he would try to register them to be able to fly to the UK as a process of starting his citizenship ...all in all even if he tries to do this without you, the embassy will contact you for confirmation

No, they will certainly not be registered with the British Embassy. I didn't know that it was possible to do this with marriage papers that have no basis in law.
And the reason that I know he will not have registered them with the Embassy is that he says he does not want anyone official looking into the details from his ID. Apparently this is he did not complete his compulsory 3 years of military service - he just left the army and went home after a few months. He told me that this information would come up if we requested a civil marriage in Cairo, and the penalty would be a large fine and possibly imprisonment (this was confirmed to me by a lawyer I contacted via the Embassy website).  Hence I must be content with being an orfi wife, with none of the legal security of a legally married woman, but most of the responsibility for bringing home (and to his mother's home) the money. He wants me to sell my house in England and leave my well-paid job so that I spend the money on fixing up his Mother's house (which is practically falling down but when rebuilt would include a flat for us!) and enabling him to open up a shop! To think I even briefly considered this.....

wow, have you been had....he a is lucky guy to have to found such a catch.....skype me we should talk more....

your egyptian husband has his bread buttered both sides, he is very lucky, monthly husband maintenance for 1000 sterlings, what is it that he have and other men dont have, he's surely having his fish on a strong hook, take care, you had a lot of warnings, advise and ideas, now its time you make up your mind, what if he is married here in Egypt, its very much possible and easy, dishonest ones normally do it behind the other wifes back and when you find out, theres already 3-4 kids in that marriage because most of egyptian women "catch"men with kids.......

UmmHamdi wrote:

your egyptian husband has his bread buttered both sides, he is very lucky, monthly husband maintenance for 1000 sterlings, what is it that he have and other men dont have, he's surely having his fish on a strong hook, take care, you had a lot of warnings, advise and ideas, now its time you make up your mind, what if he is married here in Egypt, its very much possible and easy, dishonest ones normally do it behind the other wifes back and when you find out, theres already 3-4 kids in that marriage because most of egyptian women "catch"men with kids.......

TRUE

The only reason I sent him £1,000 a month is that he has a serious blood disorder and that £1,000 was what he would need to fly to Cairo, have hospital blood tests, pay for accommodation/food and drink while waiting for the blood work results (he usually stays there for about 5 days). I wouldn't have sent him £1,000 a month for any other reason.
I am pretty sure he is not married: I have been to his Mother's home three times, at Christmas I stayed for three weeks. However he was wearing a ring when I met him, but took it off when I mentioned it, saying that it was from his marriage to his late wife who was killed by a car 5 years ago, aged 28.  If he has a living wife, I don't know where she can be.

the ball is in your court sister to investigate, i dont believe in "love is blind" a good person is the one who is sleeping, once he wakes up, dont trust him. Anyway, good luck and i wish him to be well if he is really sick

oh, i just read your reply to me about his household, yes it is quite clear, no one is working and obviously theres no income, so 1000sterlings is equals to 11498.72. so your are the source of income

told you we need to talk over Skype, it will allow for more understanding and calrifications

Jeremy Clarkson wrote:

marry me and i will take care of you...honest to god...skype: mh_united

Jeremy Clarkson wrote:

wow, have you been had....he a is lucky guy to have to found such a catch.....skype me we should talk more....

Jeremy Clarkson wrote:

told you we need to talk over Skype, it will allow for more understanding and calrifications

Seriously? I mean SERIOUSLY??

Who wrote:
Jeremy Clarkson wrote:

marry me and i will take care of you...honest to god...skype: mh_united

Jeremy Clarkson wrote:

Jeremy Clarkson wrote:

Seriously? I mean SERIOUSLY??

wow a stalker...nice....

I'm presuming you're joking, right?

Your husband will undoubtably have an egyption wife and most probably you will have met her when you visited the family....egyptian women will play along... doing as they are told and usually masquerade as cousins!....why?.... because you are a pot of gold being bled dry....its an old old story...well stage managed and presented.......it is hard for you to read and acceot these comments i realise that....you have been badly treated and conned.....as have many thousands of european woman who sadly finally have come to their senses and get out....move on and get this awful situation out of your life....

Your comment is very interesting, When he first introduced me to the members of his family, he said that one of the women there was his cousin who his Mother had taken in when her own Mother died. The strange thing is, I kept thinking, right from the start, that there was something different about this young woman compared to his sisters. When his sisters embraced me and smiled, she looked a bit irritated and not quire so friendly as the other women. She seemed to ease up a bit over the months, but there was just something.........

Best, Elaine

A women's instinct is never wrong.   

If you had a feeling straight away about it then you were properly right and that was his wife. I always go with my gut feeling.

Are you still with him ? : )

Hello Lixxy      No. I told him last week that I had had enough - that I no longer wanted to live with him in Egypt (he had been expecting me to sell my house and use the money to buy him and a shop and rebuild his mother's tumbling down house!)  I also told him that I was fed up with giving him money and that am now broke.

Best, Elaine

Hiya Elaine,

I'm glad you have finally stood up for yourself and got rid of him. I always thought any respectable Muslim man will never ask for money from his girlfriend because they see then selves as the providers and wouldn't want that. I wouldn't give up on finding somebody els in egypt there is some good men out their that would treat how you deserve to be treated and will never see your kindness as a weakness.

Hope your ok now, are you still in egypt? : )

Hiya Lixxy

I'm back in England now. Would love to come back to Egypt as I love the country, but scared of being conned again. having said that, this experience has given me a harder shell and taught me a few important lessons.
I will keep you posted........Meanwhile thank you so much for your help and kind words
Elaine x

:) God Bless u Ellaine..im happy for u.as i told u Before in my private message that dont trust him that much.and now im glad for all of this concerns ...Wow.....thanks god     he Makes u awake

UmmHamdi wrote:

also here in egypt medical care is very cheap, you cant pay that money its way too much, i guess you are being used financially, please be careful before you loose more

I am confirm that, your husband has being used you finically , pls. Be more attention...