Formalities to bring your pet in Kenya

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Kenya?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Kenya?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Kenya?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

I came from the states and brought my dog to Kenya.  When I made arrangements for my ticket, I had to make sure there was room on the flight to book my dog in the cabin if he was small enough or in the hold if he wasn't. We travelled SwissAir.They are very pet friendly. We flew threw Zurich.
I had to get a blood test for my dog first to show that he had enough rabies antibodies in him.This test had to be done I believe at least 3 to four months from his departure from the states. I had to hold onto this certificate for my return trip back to the states.  Your pet has to be up to date with his rabies shots. Your pet also needs to have a microchip which is recognized by Europe.
Three weeks before traveling, I had to get a pet import permit from Zurich, as we were going to stay there one day before we carried on to Kenya.  Their vet services dept. in Zurich is very helpful.  There is a site that you can visit that is very specific. They emailed the permit to me. I had to send them a copy of my dogs health records, my dog'smicrochip information, the blood test results and rabies shot record.
Approximately 5 days before we left the states. I had to get a health certificate from my vet and I had to get it certified by the USDA. We had to make an appt with the USDA for this to happen. I took a copy of that approx four days prior to my departure to the Kenyan embassy and they gave me a pet import permit.  I also had to take a copy of the blood test, the microchip info and the rabies shot record and the copy of the import permit from Zurich to the Kenyan embassy.  The next day the Kenyan embassy provided me with an Pet import permit for kenya. I put copies of all of my documents together and created two pet passports, one for Zurich because we stayed there one day and the copy for Kenya.
We also had to make arrangements around that time five days before arrival to get someone like a broker to receive the dog at the Jomo Kenyatta airport eventhough we were going to arrive there on the same flight.  According to Kenya, The pet has to go in the hold, eventhough they are on the same flight as you are. Our vet Galay in Nairobi phone number (011) (254) 733600829 was able to give us the number of someone who could act as a broker.  There was also a vet at the airport that had to examine the dog to make sure he was okay. There is NO Quarantine if you have everything in order (pet permits, rabies vaccines, health certificates, microchips).  There is also a website (pettravel.com)travel pet help that is very helpful.
The cost: We have a small dog that could ride in cabin the first leg of the trip. I believe it was 125.00 us dollars.  When we went through customs in Zurich because chose to stay there to give the dog a rest before we carried on. I believe it was about 180.00 us dollars.  We had to put the dog in a crate so that he could go in the hold going to Nairobi from Zurich. We had to pay almost two thousand dollars.  When we arrived in Nairobi and had to retrieve the dog from Nairobi airport that cost was almost one hundred fifty U.S. dollars.  Nairobi doesn't allow pets to travel in cabin from anywhere to Nairobi, however if your pet is small enough (less than 14 pounds) leaving out of Nairobi is about 125.oo U.S, dollars in cabin.  You have to make sure that you make arrangements with the airline prior to travel to make sure the pet can travel in cabin or in the hold.  KLM also is suppose to be a good airline for pet travel but I never tried them. I know this sounds like alot, but it was worth it to us to have our pet with us.

Hi
I had no problem getting them out of the uk as I used Air Pets at Heathrow and they tell you everything you need to do.
The problem I had was when I got to Nairobi, they drive you crazy and unless you know what you are doing they will mess you around BADLY. All I can tell you is make your way to the animal holding shed, DO NOT GIVE ANYONE MONEY! Ask for the government vet to be called (I do have the number somewhere let me know if you need it)I waited for over 4 hours in the end I put them in the car and drove out, told them to call the police if they don't like it! You need to get a thousand stamps and keep giving out more and more money, it became a joke!
Also just a bit of information on the return to the uk.
I couldn't bear the thought of putting my cats into quarantine in the UK and if they come from a non eu country - THEY HAVE TO!
So what I did was the rabies test, titre certificate, health certificates etc, etc, then packed up and flew them to spain. 
I planned on being there for 3 months (which would take me up to the 6 months when they could go to the uk- only with an EU Passport)to arrange the pet passports, little did I know I could do it in 1 day!
You have to wait the 6 months after the rabies injections and titre certificate issued (must be by a authorized Europe vet) I had my blood test done in Jo'burg South Africa. DHL the blood from Mombasa to Jo'Burg.
Knowing what I know now I should have spent the 6 months in kenya, flew to spain for a couple of days then straight onto the uk, the vet in spain didn't even see my cats I gave them 20 Euro's each and they looked at the paperwork and issued the passport!!!
I flew on Swiss air from Nairobi connected in Zurich then onto Valencia.
I was in such a panic state, however when I checked them in on the flight, excess baggage, straight at the checkin desk with me, (I just booked the excess bag (told them 2 cats) 2 weeks before) they put them in the oversize bag area IE behind their counters, let me sit with them until 30 mins before flight departure. Spoke to the guys loading the flight and the PROMISED me they would take them straight to the plane, asked for confirmation from the captain as soon as I got on board and they were on - so off we went.
At Zurich I went straight to flight information and as they were on a transit flight they do not go to the animal impound, they just go into a holding area.
So i get to the gate early I watch the plane arrive, then I see my cats on the back of one of the little cargo trolleys on the tarmac, they are loaded on before the passengers have even disembarked .
When I arrived in Valencia they came off the belt with my suitcase!
Walked through immigration, nobody stopped me or asked for anything!
NOT ONE PERSON LOOKED AT MY PAPERWORK THE WHOLE WAY!
If you would like any further advice please drop me an email at [email protected] as I truly know how stressful this is.

What is the name and number of the vet you used when you got here.  You are absolutely right with saying everyone one has their hand out looking for money.  Our dog was in the cargo section upon our arrival an unreasonable ammt of time maybe four hours before we could retrieve him.. The lady at the entrance was trying to get money out of my husband.  Everyone wants to have a pay day.  This process has to be alot better than what it is. Good for you for taking your animals out.  Upon our return to the states, we had a little problem.  There was one person who worked with Swiss was not aware that our dog could ride in cabin because of his size.  We went through all the check points problem free with the exception of the last one when we had to take him out of the bag.  The final person there attempted to deny us entry.  Thank God there was another Swiss Air rep who knew what the rules were.

hI ALL,

I will be moving to kenya in the next 2 months.

Can anyone tell me what are the documents required to move my 2 cats.

Im trying to get a permit to move them. I am from Egypt and not sure who to contact.

Hi
You have to get an import licence from  the Kenya Embassy in Cairo, I obviously got mine from the UK embassy
Kenya Embassy UK states
Import Licence for cats and dogs
A formal request indicating the importer's name and address.
Current Health Certificate from a Veterinary doctor.
A stamped self addressed envelope.
Allow at least one week processing time.
A fee of £30 in Postal Orders payable to Kenya High Commission.

You write to them with the above information then you receive it through the post, check on the internet for the Kenya Embassy In Egypt.
When you arrive in Kenya make sure you have someone with you that speaks Swahili (if you don't) and go to the animal holding shed, the the fun really begins.
Let me know if I can help further.

Jambo A
Am from kenya and i want to import a dog from pakistan what is the legal procedure and how much are the fees kindly advise

I am plaing to move to Kenya with my cat from Spain and I would like to know if someone had problems in order to get the import permit at the airport .
At the Kenyan embassy in Spain told me that I need to have an import permit that I can get at the airport once I arrived to kenya but checking with  an agency it seems that you can get it in advance in another way so I am wonder if there is anyone who has any information where and how can I gett it.becouse i checked with an agency and the agency wanted to charge me 750 USD for all the paperwork...so I am trying to do it bymyself.

Hello! This is all very helpful info, thank you! Can you tell me what you had to do to bring your pet back to the US?

My question is about taking my pets OUT OF Kenya. My husband and I will be leaving Kenya permanently in March, flying back home to the United States. We want our two cats with us in-cabin for the entire trip.
I have already done my research about what is required for export from Kenya, import to the US, individual airline requirements for in-cabin carriers, and all the paperwork needed. But there is one question I can't seem to get a definite answer on:
When we fly out of Nairobi, will our cats be allowed in-cabin with us? All the other legs of the trip are ok for cats on-board, except for the flight out of Kenya.
The Brussels airlines website states that all pets INTO OR OUT OF Kenya must travel as cargo, yet a Brussels Air reservations agent told me pets ARE allowed in-cabin if they are traveling OUT OF Kenya. When I pointed out what her website said, she said, "Oh well then, they probably aren't allowed." (Helpful, no?)
The Swiss Air website says pets can travel in cabin if they are traveling OUT OF Kenya, yet a Swiss Air reservations agent told me they are not allowed in-cabin.
I really don't know what to do about this, so I am hoping someone out there has actually flown out of Kenya with their pet in-cabin. If so, I would love to know which airline you flew!