How's Customs hanling personal effects (used clothes 'n sweets)?

My father sent a 10 kg parcel last week. But I need more stuff. Shirts, pants, books and German sweets. Should I be worried about having to pay import duty?

DHL's German pries for economy - surface mail parcels are okay. 60 Euros for a 10 kg parcel. But I'm shocked at the 2,100 Baht ($ 69) for 10 kg from Thailand. Wish there was some economy solution.

Books, I've ordered from www.betterworldbooks.com with free shipping to VN. Want Dick Francis and Lee Child novels  :top: 

This borrowed notebook keeps crashing. But after reading here about "10 % customs duty" and "arbitrary methods" I'm scared of hving anold Thinkpad X61 mailed here. Someone might mistake the $ 100 mode for a X240?!  :blink:

'' free shipping to VN."

Good luck with that one, many businesses , ( including E Bay ), won't ship to VN.   
It took 2 attempts to get a Certificate from England sent to me here, Registered mail, ( but I strongly suspect they " forgot ' to post it when they said? )

2 days later, the status shows the order hasn't been fulfilled yet. I'm scared now, as I'm trying to help some students get English English dictionaries etc.

hs0zfe wrote:

2 days later, the status shows the order hasn't been fulfilled yet. I'm scared now, as I'm trying to help some students get English English dictionaries etc.

There are some good Bookshops in VN that do online sales, (  and website of course ),   and have a good variety of books, ( probably much cheaper as well ).

They'll sniff your underwear and eat all your chocolates.  :nothappy:

bluenz wrote:

... many businesses , ( including E Bay ), won't ship to VN.

E-BAY DOES SHIP TO VN - it's how we often get stuff across from China.

The problem is often in CLEARING THE CREDIT CARD.

hs0zfe wrote:

You can buy OXFORD Dictionaries here in VN cheaper than in the UK!

The two authors you mentioned are available on BITTORRENT. Just checked.

Search www.DuckDuckGo.com for Lee Child, pdf, torrent OR Dick Francis, pdf, torrent. You will need a (free) PDF reader.

Jaitch wrote:
bluenz wrote:

eBay doesn't ship anything, they are a marketplace for sellers. The vast majority of eBay sellers do not ship to Vietnam however there are websites/services which act as an intermediary (similarly you could do this yourself by having items shipped to family or friends and having them send it on).

Hopefully someone else can respond with specifics (I don't remember the url to the website someone gave me once but it was in Vietnamese).

I don't know what you mean about the credit card problem. Westerners who use eBay would already have a CC set up wth paypal and the seller would receive payment through paypal.

I've heard that you may not be able to set up a Paypal acct with a Vietnamese credit/bank card. Maybe that's what you meant?

bluenz wrote:
hs0zfe wrote:

There are some good Bookshops in VN that do online sales, (  and website of course ),   and have a good variety of books, ( probably much cheaper as well ).

Really? That's great! Got any URLs (websites)? or an e-mail address of a major second hand bookshop?

I guess I will learn tonight whether www.betterworldbooks.com will fulfill the order.

Thank you in advance for a recommendation. Will also do a Google search...

Jaitch wrote:
bluenz wrote:

You might be right, it was some Chinese companies on E Bay, that wouldn't ship to VN, ( 3 -- 4 yrs ago )

hs0zfe wrote:
bluenz wrote:
hs0zfe wrote:

Really? That's great! Got any URLs (websites)? or an e-mail address of a major second hand bookshop?

I guess I will learn tonight whether www.betterworldbooks.com will fulfill the order.

Thank you in advance for a recommendation. Will also do a Google search...

Try www.sach24.vn, they have shops throughout VN.

Are you a clearvoyant? BWB sent me an e-mail about "fraud prevention". My credit card company has no concerns and the money is there for the retailer.

I've e-mailed them that I'm waiving my right to a refund, complete with a scan of my passport.

Hope to get those books. It's only $ 70.xx and I need them badly. Had a dozen orders delivered to Thailand...

In the time I have been in Vn, of the 3 parcels sent to me, only one has made it. From everything I have read, and personal experience, I am very reluctant to rely on the Vietnamese postal service at all...
It may be just bad luck, but even Meatloaf would say 1 out of 3 ain't good!