Is 1350 Kuwait dinar enough money to live in Kuwait ?

ABS? Good luck with that school, I was offered a position and almost accepted it until they told me I had to pay for my visa transfer and other things. The area is extremely crowded, the school is nice but I'm still on the fence about the principal. You will be dealing with well off Kuwaiti kids who tend to be spoiled and used to getting their ways.

good luck,hadling the students is the toughts part for a teacher in Kuwait.

will be more than enough to live happy in Kuwait .. but Salary is depend on your profession! and public transportation is disaster in Kuwait so its better to find rental car and will be perfect if you buy ca on installment so you can sell it later ;)

if they offer you free acommodation , this is very attractive salary, food and transportation very cheap in Kuwait, if need to hair a driver to reach work and back home it would be cheaper than use call Taxi, if give information schoole and apartment location I could send you further details, if you need more help you can call me 00965 99035419 I will be happy to make it easy for your and family and welcome in Kuwait, all the best my dear.

That's a good money they offer you and you should go for it. Its not recommendable to drive bus since there are too many strange people in there. Get a taxi driver and agree a regular transport. Thats the easiest solution. Good luck.

yes it's enough

Depends.

[Moderated: No free ad]

I'm sorry dear, but the transportation costs is gonna be so much. Taxis are not cheap at all.
You should ask them more especially for transportation costs.

Hi Lou - can I just ask what subject you will be teaching at the ABS school and how many years experience you have? They have contacted me for an interview and want to have an idea of the pay scale relating to my own experience. Thanks, Sarah

Yes. It's not a "lot" but more than enough to live a regular life. The monthly average for apartment in a neighborhood with other Westerners is about 350KD. A really nice place is about 700KD. A 350 - 400KD apartment is very nice, in most cases. Food is no more expensive than anywhere else. However, vegies, such as broccoli can be costly. Transportation is expensive for Westerners. Taxis will overcharge, especially if you're British or American. You have to be blunt with them. MAKE THEM TURN ON THEIR METERS. It's illegal if they don't. Feel free to tip but don't let them get carried away. Find a good guy and work out a regular schedule.

If a particular bus route falls exactly between your school and apartment, that would be great for you. But, most of the time, bus routes will not fall covering both place (work and live).

If you use taxi, charges start from 1KD for 5-6km, if you use taxi in all school days it will be surely 40-60KD per month.

I recommend you to buy a used car which would be affordable as 3000$~4000$. Fuel is very cheap and it will be much advisable to buy a car if you would stay more than a year. Own car will help you to increase your mobility even in off days.

Fresh food can be bought anywhere in KW in 5-10 minute drive. Even possible in 5-10 min walk depending on your location of stay. There are particular places you can buy with good quality in comparatively cheap price.

Note: I experienced that mobile telephone charges and data charges rather high in KW,if you have company sponsored packages, great

Hi,

Just read your bit about the cost of living here...Also you mention the buses.

Could you please advise me on how to find out information about the buses. How to pay the fare. (on the bus or before). I have drawn a blank. Web sites on the buses here are not that good.

I live in Salmiya and want to travel round a bit instead of staying in...

Would be very graceful for any advice.

I have just read what you have written about the taxis's.

Thank you for that. I have learnt something. I have yet to venture out by myself.

I think the cost of living over here is more expensive than the UK. I am not including petrol...You do not eat or wear petrol :)

Thank you for your information

You can have a comfortable stay with this pay. Good pay.

interesting response. could you message me the questions that you think are key to a teaching job in Kuwait

A taxi may cost you 10KD / Day maximum.
25 working days X 10 KD = 250 KD per month
   plus other Transportations / Month .. (Like Super Markets or resturant ) could reach another 100 KD

All in total transportation could reach = 350 KD.

You can rent a Toyota Corolla 2014/2015 with max 200 KD/ Month ... which is a better solution.

OR you could wait for 3 Months and buy a brand new Camery or Altima 2015 with installment of 120 KD / Month with out down payments.  Even better

Tootsie57 wrote:

Hi,

Just read your bit about the cost of living here...Also you mention the buses.

Could you please advise me on how to find out information about the buses. How to pay the fare. (on the bus or before). I have drawn a blank. Web sites on the buses here are not that good.

I live in Salmiya and want to travel round a bit instead of staying in...

Would be very graceful for any advice.

Self exploration is the best way to learn good stuff. In your free time have some traveling with buses. Useful links of bus routes with map is shown in following links

http://www.chillnite.com/7898/2013/05/m … 566231117/http://www.chillnite.com/7900/2013/05/m … 199920612/

I do not fully agree with Abstract's analysis of taxi cost. You would not travel that much in a day when you goto work/office. But, I agree that if you would stay long term, buy new car, which is the best idea.

I think the taxi quotes described, are a little high, unless your doing a lot of travel...

Airport taxis are expensive (think they're fixed rates), but you don't really have a choice unless you want to walk out of the airport area dragging your bags (not real practical)

In the city, the drivers are always going to look at you first, guess your nationality, and quote you based on what they 'think' you can 'afford'.  What one driver will 'ask' 4kd for, the taxi who pulls up behind him will 'take' 1.5kd for.  lol (understand if you push the cut rates, he may stop for other fares on the way... if you don't want that, you might add an extra kd and tell him your a little time sensitive)

(westerners... maybe everyone, not sure) The first couple weeks in country, your going to pay premium price for about everything, after a while of paying attention to what others are paying for the same services, you'll know what is fair and what is a rip off. Be eyeful and have fun!   :D