Cost of Living in Leeds

Hello dear members,

I think it would be very interesting and useful to supply some information about the cost of living in Leeds. I am sure it will be very helpful to members who are planning to relocate to this island.

Don't forget to mention in which region/city where you are living!

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Leeds?)

> public transportation fares (taxi, bus etc ...)

> food prices (per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy related prices (oil, gas, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

-Do not hesitate to add more items to the list-

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Hi!

I will be moving to Leeds in early October.
I am really interested in this topic.
I understood the cost of living in Leeds is a lot inferior to London or Cambridge, but it would be nice to have some more details. Even comparison with other European cities.

Thanks!

Hi Kashi,

The cost of living in Leeds is typically half to 60 percent of London. It also depends if you are here as a student or you are working here.

There are some wonderful lodgings here for students. I am sure you will find a place to suit your budget.

If you love motoring, and you have a small car, you could live on the out skirts of Leeds and enjoy beautiful countryside.

I work in Leeds City centre, but chose not to live here. I instead chose to stay a short while outside Leeds, and commute daily to and from Leeds.

I would highly recommend doing this, as Leeds is a bit more expensive than surrounding areas.

I currently live in Ossett, which is close to Wakefield. In these areas, you can easily get your own place, 2 bedrooms and perhaps even a small garden for about £450 per month upwards. Living inside Leeds would work out to about £200 - £300 more for the same type of place (this is just an estimate however, you might get lucky).

I commute via bus, and this works out to about £70 per month. If you drive an economical car, it could be even cheaper, but bare in mind that parking in Leeds can be quite expensive.

In total I pay about £60 per month for Sky TV and internet (but I got this on special, so could be more expensive).

My council tax is £119 per month (I have a 3 bedroom house with garden).

Water, gas and electricity works out to about £90(summer) to £130 (winter), we are 2 people living in the house.

Food prices I suppose is more or less the same as anywhere else (ASDA etc have pretty consistent prices all over) and spend about £150 - £200 on food and booze.

Our local pub charges about £3.50 to £4.50 for a pint :)

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]