Passport needs to be valid for 6 months?Existing visa on new passport?

I have two questions.

I am planning a trip to Brazil in November, but my passport expires March 2015.  My trip will only last 2 or 3 weeks, but as my passport expires in March 2015 it won't be valid for 6 months after my expected depart from Brazil.  Many countries have this restriction, but I cannot find any details on the Brazilian embassy or consulate sites.

Also, I am a Canadian with a 5 year Brazilian Tourist Visa.  If I do need a new passport, am I able to use the visa on my old passport (since it wouldn't have met the 5 year expiry yet), or do I need a new tourist visa to attach to the new passport.

Hello Dan,

http://citizenshipsupport.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/canadian_passport.jpg

Yes, your passport must be valid for 6 months in Brazil as well, so you should contact your nearest Passport Canada office and apply for a new one.

Since you currently hold a Canada Passport you can use the Simplified Renewal Application:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc054.pdf

Make sure that you clearly mark that you wish the old passport returned to you (Box. 2 Pg. 1) as you will need to carry that with you for the valid Brazil VITUR Tourist Visa until the visa expires. Visas ARE NOT removed from one passport and transfered to another.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for the fast response!  I appreciate the info!

Sir! For coming in and going out of Brazil, it is necessary to have a valid passport of 6 months? Does a passport valid less than 6 months not work for travel outside of Brazil?

No, anyone entering Brazil as a tourist must have a minimum of 6 months from the date of entry remaining on their passport. This is the law, since the maximum annual stay in Brazil for a tourist is 6 months in any year and one must have a valid passport for that long (regardless of how long they actually intend to remain in the country).

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team