Visa problems

My name is Anthony Bassak.  I live in Northern Illinois and the closest embassy for Ecuador is in Chicago and they never answer their telephone and if they do they immediately hang up the receiver. I will keep tryin
Has anyone ever heard of Patrick and Nora Minga.  They operate a  immigration service out of Quito.  They seem to be very nice people but I have to be assured they are legitimate before I send them any money.
Please let me know!

Have you tried the consulate in Minneapolis?

Anthony Bassak wrote:

My name is Anthony Bassak.  I live in Northern Illinois and the closest embassy for Ecuador is in Chicago and they never answer their telephone and if they do they immediately hang up the receiver. I will keep tryin
Has anyone ever heard of Patrick and Nora Minga.  They operate a  immigration service out of Quito.  They seem to be very nice people but I have to be assured they are legitimate before I send them any money.
Please let me know!

Anthony, I am only speaking (typing) based on my gut reaction. When I got here, I already had a contract in place with my attorney (I advocate immigration attorneys) for almost 6 months, as I didn't have a firm "move-to" date. My selection of attorney was based on recommendations I found at the Gringo Tree website (I believe Gringo Tree may also have a Quito affiliate). I corresponded with the referrers via email and felt comfortable... after which, I then corresponded with the attorney via email. During the course of sporadic email communications, I felt that I knew the guy pretty well. I wasn't disappointed.

I paid about 2/3 of the total estimate only after the visa application had been submitted. Upon receipt of my visa and cedula, I paid the balance (including the translations, additional application forms required, etc.). The balance (total) was approximately $400 less than I had expected would be required. There are some very good facilitators here, but I can only give anecdotal evidence based on my experience. If anyone (facilitator, or lawyer) were asking for money "up-front", I would have serious issues. I pay for services "rendered", not services "promised", but that's me.

Are you planning on staying (living) in Quito? I ask, because there are facilitators/lawyers all over the country. My visa was obtained here in Cuenca. Start to finish, 52-days. It had its "good" days and its "bad" days, but my lawyer held my hand through the entire experience. The important thing is to have your ducks in a row. I detailed everything I brought with me, everything I had to get here in post https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 56#1643439 (post #4). Good luck with your adventure and always remember "Es lo que es" (it is what it is) :-)

symo

The Chicago consulate is really unresponsive -- unfortunately I don't believe you can use a consulate outside your own area (they are assigned areas of responsibility). However, if you're just asking questions, perhaps you could call one of the others.

I can't recommend a lawyer or facilitator, since I'm still in the midst of my application process. I am using an attorney, and he seems quite competent, but I'll wait to see the results. At the present time, I'm treading water, with the hangup being my criminal history report from the Illinois State Police (@#$% 'em!).

Bob, what is their problem with your Illinois state police report?

gardener1 wrote:

Bob, what is their problem with your Illinois state police report?

Probably very long and extensive.  He did flee to the Philippines!!
(Just kidding, Bob.  good luck!!)

Not bad, Mug -- yeah, the problem is that it's too long to notarize.

No, seriously it should be short, as in: "We've never heard of this guy."

Problem is, the ISP claims that they sent the report, but it never showed up in my mailbox, and the website never showed that it had been sent. I called/emailed to ask about it several times and got no response. The fingerprinting outfit said ISP was backed up three months.

In early Feb (3+ months after I had the fingerprints done in late Oct) I contacted them again. Finally got an answer: "We sent it in early Nov." I asked for a copy: "Sorry, we only keep copies thirty days. You waited too long. You'll have to have another report done."

After a brief delay while I told them they are morons, I ordered a new report -- this time without the fingerprints (my lawyer says Ecuador doesn't care). We'll see if they can get it done right this time.

Sorry about hijacking your thread, Tony. But you'll need to deal with ISP, too.

Bob

I suggest you ask to the Foreign Affairs Minister Ricardo Patiño
He understand english and he responds twits.

Gringo tree is another forum where they ahve answerd many questions about immigration.
Perhaps if you have specific questions, you could ask here…..as for Minga, be careful (politley stated)

I think you will find its very easy to get your visa on your own.  Lots of expats to help and the immigration office is ver helpful.

Hi Tony:  Patrick and Nora Minga helped my husband and me to get our visas 6 months ago.  They are both nice people and they are honest.  They seem to be very good at what they do.  But the process took longer than anticipated as they had a large client caseload at the time.  And, although they will answer any/all direct questions, there is little personal attention beyond that.  Not to mention that all of the legwork in the U.S. has to be done by the petitioner - you.   I was a lawyer for 22 years in NY/NJ so paperwork is no big deal for me.  My husband, however, was angry that the Mingas didn't handle more of the work - especially considering their cost.  Please feel free to ask me anything.  Clare

Additional information on Parick Minga:
Nora & Patrick
[email protected]
24 hour USA number in Ecuador 239-234-4428
011-593-2235-0310 direct 235-0310 Land Line
0992066527 cell phone

In October 2013 my Fiancé (American) and myself (Canadian) approached Patrick Minga as an advertised "facilitator" for the visitors and residency visa application process in Ecuador. During this process he provided us with documents to fill out which would, if utilized, be a fraudulent statements of our retirement income as applicable to the Ecuadorian application rules.
Minga took an $800 deposit to begin filing other documents on our behalf. After many excuses and the expiration of his guaranteed time for results, we hired a local immigration lawyer to investigate and discovered nothing had been filed on our behalf. Minga agreed on several occasions to return our money but never showed up for the appointments.
Minga also stated a requirement for documents which turned out are not required, as a means to extort additional monies to process them.
During this process he indicated that he could get me a Ecuadorian Passport in order to bypass the 3 months maximum allowed time out of Ecuador during the first two years of residency. I insisted that he explain how this could occur as my job as a commercial pilot requires extensive travel and freedom of movement and could not be risked on a process which could not be explained. Again with the immigration lawyer in Quito we inquired about this possibility of a Ecuadorian passport and it is legally impossible.
Patrick Minga exhibits signs of unmediated bipolar disorder and extreme paranoia. He at one point would only speak on the phone and not respond to written emails due to his assertion I was a CIA agent.
Our bigger concern is that other Canadian or American citizens unknowingly may submit falsified documents, face fines, deportation or jail time or be travelling back to North America on fake or illegally obtained passports through Minga's “contacts”.
Minga has also remarked that he had recorded our phone calls and filmed/taped our conversations while at the immigration office in Quito without our knowing.

We have extensive email communications demonstrating these accusations and would be pleased to provide them to the authorities if requested.

Patrick Minga is an American citizen and the proprietor of the Quito Hotel Bonanza,  Pampa Calle K – 7 – 175, Pomoski, Quito, Ecuador.

Hotel Bonanza in Quito, sounds like a great expat meeting place.

That's good advice:  use an attorney/facilitator in the city where you want to live.  If you use the Mingas in Quito, you will have to go to Quito for your visa.  That's additional time and expense.

Just thought I'd post what was in Gringo Tree/Cuenca High Life today.

http://www.cuencahighlife.com/post/2014 … Quito.aspx

Probably shouldn't do any business with Patrick in the near future.

symo

Patrick was arrested in Alabama a few days ago.

caramia732 wrote:

That's good advice:  use an attorney/facilitator in the city where you want to live.  If you use the Mingas in Quito, you will have to go to Quito for your visa.  That's additional time and expense.

Amen to that.  When we began our visa process in Nov, 2010 we were in Quito counting days till retirement.  We moved to Cuenca when I retired.  We had to return to Quito to get our passports with the visa and then again for the cedulas.  I had to return twice as my cedula had my last name spelled wrong.

I could not have it done in Cuenca as I got my visa in Quito.  If I had known...  No idea why it can't be done in Cuenca.

if the report on the web about Minga is correct, looks like he will needing the funds for legal fees.  No idea how much time he is facing, but he will be unavailable for the immediate future.

Mike

BCSO, Feds Arrest Man For Attempted Sex Trafficking
By Brevard County Sheriff  //  March 8, 2014

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This
SUSPECT ADVERTISED SEX TOURISM ON CRAIGSLIST

BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – A joint investigation between the Brevard County Sheriff's Office and the Immigration Customs Enforcement/Homeland Security Investigations, culminated March 7 with the arrest of 50-year-old, Patrick R. Minga, a former resident of Cape Coral, Florida.

A joint investigation between the Brevard County Sheriff's Office and the Immigration Customs Enforcement/Homeland Security Investigations, culminated today with the arrest of 50-year-old, Patrick R. Minga, a former resident of Cape Coral, Florida. (BCSO image)
A joint investigation between the Brevard County Sheriff's Office and the Immigration Customs Enforcement/Homeland Security Investigations, culminated today with the arrest of 50-year-old, Patrick R. Minga, a former resident of Cape Coral, Florida. (BCSO image)

Minga was arrested today after a Federal judge issued a criminal complaint charging him with attempting to induce and facilitate, for his own financial gain, the travel of an individual from Brevard County, Florida, to Quito, Ecuador, so that the individual could engage in illicit sexual conduct with minor girls.  If convicted, Minga faces a maximum penalty of 30 years in federal prison.

ADVERTISED SEX TOURISM BUSINESS ON CRAIGSLIST

The investigation found that Minga advertised, on Craigslist, a sex tourism business in Ecuador. Minga indicated that, for a fee, he could facilitate lodging, transportation, meals and unlimited access to females from Ecuador and Colombia.

An undercover agent from the Brevard County Sheriff's Office who is a member of a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations task force observed the ad and contacted Minga. Over the course of several months, Minga tried to induce and arrange the travel of the undercover agent from Florida to Quito, where Minga advised that he could provide sexual encounters with children as young as 13 years of age.

BCSO-BADGE-180An undercover agent from the Brevard County Sheriff's Office who is a member of a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations task force observed the ad and contacted Minga. Over the course of several months, Minga tried to induce and arrange the travel of the undercover agent from Florida to Quito, where Minga advised that he could provide sexual encounters with children as young as 13 years of age.

On March 2, 2014, Minga traveled from Ecuador to the United States, where he was met by agents from the Brevard County Sheriff's Office and ICE/HSI who subsequently arrested him in Huntsville, Alabama. He is currently detained, pending removal proceedings before a United States Magistrate Judge in Birmingham, Alabama. Thereafter, he will be transported to the Middle District of Florida for further proceedings.

The Brevard County Sheriff's Office Sexual Offender/Predator Registration and Tracking Unit, the Department of Homeland Security and the United States Attorney's Office Child Exploitation Task Force is a multi-agency Partnership initiated to investigate dangerous offenders and predators who prey upon children.

Sheriff Wayne Ivey
Sheriff Wayne Ivey

Sheriff Wayne Ivey stated, “I am so proud of the tireless efforts by this Partnership and our investigative team that dismantled this vile operation. One that was designed specifically to cater to Internet predators for the sole purpose of harming children.  I am sickened by the activities of this individual and the child sex trade organizations that exist. Let there be no mistake, anyone who would do this to a child needs to be locked up for the rest of their life, where they can never harm anyone else.

http://spacecoastdaily.com/2014/03/bcso … afficking/

scooter19 wrote:

I think you will find its very easy to get your visa on your own.  Lots of expats to help and the immigration office is ver helpful.

Yes, no problem if you speak Spanish.

EdGarT wrote:
scooter19 wrote:

Yes, no problem if you speak Spanish.

Reportedly there are officials at the Cuenca office who do speak English and are there to assist English speaking expats with the process.  According to some who have gone thru the process in Cuenca the officials are very helpful and have said that there is no need for an attorney etc.  I suspect that if it is straightforward with no kinks and all the paperwork is in order that would be true.

I pasted a review for you to read.  Another person said that the American owner, Patrick was arrested in Florida for trafficking in child sex.  I have not confirmed this as I just read about it.  However, the dats I was interested in were mot available, not were different dates.  So use your own judgment.  Hope this helps.

Do not stay here. Do not be deceived by the American Patrick who runs this property. Stayed at his property because of the reviews. We were told we would be picked up at airport, only to be charged $20.00 before we checked out. No other place we stayed, in or around Quito ever charged for pick up in Quito, no matter what the distance was. This place, at most, was a $5.00 cab ride. It seems that we charged because his wife had the car, but why should we have to pay for services were told were included.
Property over run with dogs...although it looks nice in pictures. Upon arrival they did not have our guaranteed rooms, changed us then charged us double the next morning. The owner, Patrick took our passports, for documentation, and held them when confronted about our room charges. We were called horrible names, threatened, felt trapped unless we paid what this American what he demanded, which we did because we had to leave.
He is full of lies, although his wife, Nora, is very pleasant, and works extremely hard.
This is not a hotel but a few rooms inside their house. Nothing is remotely near their house...you are stuck there.
Please beware, you too could be played, and pay the price, mentally and emotionally, on top of financially. This experience, which was at the end of our trip, left us drained and unable to focus on the great experiences of our trip to South America, for quite sometime.

Patrick has been arrested and held over for trial without bail according to news information from Orlando, FL.

Check this official site regarding temp and permanent visa requirements: http://cancilleria.gob.ec/requirements- … n/?lang=en

Thanks for posting that link EdGar.    :)

interesting observation especially when we have to do most of the paperwork retrieval, apostille, etc.
The officials at the ministerio actually seem to really want to try and help.

Patrick Roger Minga is being held in the Orange County Jail in Orlando Florida.  His booking #14012162 will allow you to follow him.
For all of you that have been ripped off by him are being asked to go to the website  wwwIC3.com .  There you will be able to fill out a form which the FBI is looking at.  The more complaints...the better for us.
I personally was taken for $2k.  I was given his name by an american citizen and was told it was on the up and up.  What this man didn't tell us, was the Mingas were paying people to refer to them, knowing that the visas were not going to be achieved.  The Mingas refused to pay many people for the referrals.  Hence forth making many more people angry.
You can also go to the Orange County Jail website and sign up for notifations on Patrick.  It will tell you exactly what is going on with his case as it happens. 
I personally would love nothing short of him spending the rest of his life in jail.

Thanks for the information. We will look into this. We have been left hanging by them. // added: I went to the site: ocfl.net/tabid/496/default.aspx#.U5JFdXJdWSp to find out more information and went to the official Vine site, but it denied me any information. I think you must be in Florida (vpn wise) to access, but not sure.

wwwIC3.gov is the actual website.

Minga pleaded guilty to arranging for underage sex tours to Ecuador.

http://www.jrn.com/fox4now/news/Former- … 43691.html

TAMPA, Fla. - A former Cape Coral resident pleaded guilty Wednesday to attempting to sex traffic children.

50-year-old Patrick Minga tried to help an individual from Brevard County travel to Quito, Ecuador so they could have sex with minor girls.

Minga faces a maximum penalty of 30 years in federal prison. His sentencing hearing has been scheduled for November 20, 2014.       

During the change of plea hearing, Minga admitted that he advertised, on Craigslist, a sex tourism business in Ecuador that could facilitate lodging, transportation, meals, and unlimited access to females for a fee. An undercover task force agent observed the ad and contacted Minga.

Over the course of several months, Minga tried to induce and arrange the travel of the undercover agent from Florida to Quito, where Minga advised that he could provide sexual encounters with minors as young as 13 and 14 years of age.

On March 2, 2014, Minga traveled from Ecuador to the United States, where he was arrested by agents in Huntsville, Alabama. Minga will remain detained pending further proceedings.

I would be pushing for the death penalty for him and anyone like him. Too costly to keep him in jail so save money and put him down.

I am a Canadian coming in November to get my retirement visa.  I am using a lawyer recommended by a Canadian and also an American who said she can get my Visa in two weeks or an extension on my Passport visa.  If she delivers as promised, I will post here as I know you have to be careful when you are dealing long distance.

Wow!!! 2 weeks is about the fastest I've heard. I thought my attorney was really quick at 28 days, for both my Visa & Cedula. What I appreciated the most was the fact I didn't have to wait in line. My attorney had appointments set up, and we just walked through the process. I only spent about 1 hour to get both my Visa & Cedula, which for here is very speedy.
Good Luck.
ZenSpike

I am taking all this with more than a grain of salt.  The Ecuador consulate here in Canada assured me it can be done.  My lawyer assures me of the same thing.  All my papers are in order and copies sent to lawyer the have translated.  I guess, seeing is believing or some such crap.   Also making plans to stay in Peru for a while if needed, as I only have 19 days unused from my last visit.

Patrick is in jail in Florida awaiting sentencing for illegal activities related to the attempted sale of prostitution by children. I would hesitate to stay at their facility because of possible payback from former Ecuadorian business partners. I have heard there was an armed robbery at their hostel recently.