The other side of the Nigerian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Nigeria, how would you describe the two sides of your Nigerian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

I came to Nigeria in 1993 March to conduct wood processing plant , I found people without discipline workers who sleep during the day for work and disappeared for hours , three months first shouted all the time , until one day I realized how stupid I am and all I want to workers behave as workers in Europe and Israel , just forgotten the simple fact that the conditions and pay in Nigeria are not close to that percentage in Europe second problem Nigerians do not want to tell themselves mainly because they do not trust whites man and they do not whant to give whites man ideas  to laugh at them and their tradition .
Then I start change my approach to my employees Luckily I found some that were willing to explain me there  behavior in Different situations seemed strange and irresponsible to me, and slowly learned about their customs and the reasons whey they  behave different from Europeans.

When you understand the people in Nigeria and really care, then you start to enjoy Nigeria.  the country it has a lot to offer only if you are open-minded, people are basically good.
arie

I was not a tourist in Nigeria, lived and worked there for 4 years. The 2 sides of my postcard :
- a country full of energy (people energy)
- that energy pulling in the wrong direction

my be you worked in Nigeria , but you did not get interaction with Nigerians out of work. I  was  interaction with local nigerian i whent to local theater and i got  an amazing experience, I  eat in a local restaurant in a Middle of the street and a group of Young boys  With business sense Passed between the guests at the restaurant with a Fan with battery and  cooled the guests for same money  this and  more other many samples.
arie

Hi Everyone, I concur with Arie and my experience is also quite similar to his. You can not come to a new country and expect same understanding as to what you have been working on. I founf Nigerians very very courteous and straight forward. Working class is generally quite honest and straight forward however corruption in government offices is quite rampant to such an extent that they openly ask for "Dash" whether it is at Airport or at traffic signal or police. This can be very frustrating many times. Apart from this i did not see or experienced any form of discrimination or xenophobic behaviour. I have made lots of friends for life and Arsenal is my favourite team.
God Bless Nigeria and help them get rid of corrupt politicians.

Cheers,

Ajay

Still enchansnted and captivated by nigeria and its people....had some very good.times here and made the transitionv easily...naija.is my home.

This is my third time working in Nigeria... First in Kano, then Calabar, now Abuja. Each time bringing a different experience. But to try and assess the three places and keep it simple...
People: Generally very friendly towards expats, regardless of religious or political beliefs, yet somehow, there is friction amongst themselves. The worst being that those with money think they are better than those without. A great pity, because I have made some very dear friends from both ends of the spectrum.
Service supply (water & electricity): Shameful... I say no more
Police / Military (and checkpoints): Necessary, but a pain in the butt, and often they seem like they are there just to collect their "dash".
Airports: Some of most testing that I have been through.... keep patient.
Roads and Driving: Hire a good driver and wear your seatbelt. It is scary, but somehow it seems to work. A bit too many fatal accidents, partly from bad roads, partly from bad driving.... Keep out the way of "Big Boy" convoys.
Living conditions: You make of it as you will. Many ghettos, and many mansions... Your choice. But I must add, that some of my best times have been with friends in the ghettos.
Food: Fantastic... Mainly the typical North African dishes, but you can get whatever you want... very international.
In conclusion.... Not everyone's cup of tea, but I have really enjoyed every tour here, and will happily return.

I have also worked in nigeria and going back next month november 2014.
I found nigerians very cooeperative (subject to you respect them at your work place). i have enjoyed my last tenure with indian owned company where all senior managers were indian and nigerians were working below us.
my team of nigerians were very good and cooperative becauase i was respecting them and guiding them properly. (it is all about give and take. give respect and take respect and cooperation)
this time i am joing a company which is owned by nigerians (this will be new experience becauase all boses are nigerians and all my juniors also nigerians but I am sure that I will create win win situation.