Hello!

mikeEAmikeEA

Chicago
    2014-09-15
    2 posts   

Help from expat community on stuff to do!

Hi!

My name is Mike, I'm 32 and I have one pet, I'll let you guess what animal it is! (You will need more than one try)

I am going to Bangkok in less than a month and would like to find some other like minded people to hang out with.  Or just anyone that wants to hang out and is relatively normal and knows the area. I am attending a friend's wedding near Chennai and decided on a whim to not go directly back home.  I'm from Chicago, I'm a data and analytics consultant and I was in the army (so I don't mind ruffing it a bit :P).  There are just so many things to do there that I need to get expert advice on what to settle on as far as what sites to see and places to visit.  Hopefully some of you experts will be generous enough to drop me a line! Thanks!

mikeEAmikeEA wrote:

mikeEAmikeEA

Chicago
    2014-09-15
    2 posts   

Help from expat community on stuff to do!

Hi!

My name is Mike, I'm 32 and I have one pet, I'll let you guess what animal it is! (You will need more than one try)

I am going to Bangkok in less than a month and would like to find some other like minded people to hang out with.  Or just anyone that wants to hang out and is relatively normal and knows the area. I am attending a friend's wedding near Chennai and decided on a whim to not go directly back home.  I'm from Chicago, I'm a data and analytics consultant and I was in the army (so I don't mind ruffing it a bit :P).  There are just so many things to do there that I need to get expert advice on what to settle on as far as what sites to see and places to visit.  Hopefully some of you experts will be generous enough to drop me a line! Thanks!

Have you decided where you are going yet. ??
Bangkok, or somewhere else in Thailand, Philippines or Japan ????????

I'm flying to Bangkok, Manila, and Tokyo.  Bangkok is first!  I have no idea what I will do yet.  Most of the youtube videos are not as helpful as I hoped.  But they are something.  I think I will book an SPG hotel since I have lot of points with them, and I could with Marriott too.  I don't know if I will go to some other place other than Bangkok yet in Thailand.  I might just stay in Bangkok if there is enough stuff to do there!

Hi Mike!

Welcome to the land of smiles! Your going to love it here. My husband and I( Americans) live in Phuket. Which is an island in the southern part of Thailand. It's about a 7 hour bus ride to bangkok. Not sure where your planning on heading too but I would recommend Phuket. Let us know if you make it down this way. My husband did the same job you did until he quit to move here. He's an excel nerd. Anyways hit us up if you have any questions or just want to grab a beer. It's always nice meeting with fellow americans, there's a small group of us here.

Safe travels!

Brianna

Thanks Brianna!  I am really considering going to Phuket and also Pattaya.  Those seem to be the places that people in Thailand go to.  Do you think there would be enough things to do in Bangkok for five days?  Thanks so much for the invitation! Haha excel nerd!  I work SQL Server a lot myself!  Maybe your husband can train me on Excel? Jk! Sort of.  Well thanks again for reaching out.

I think two days is all you need in Bangkok to see the main tourist sites but if your into nightlife then five days is okay.

Traffic can get really bad at times so I would recommend staying at hotel within walking distance to skytrain or subway for ease of getting around Bangkok.

Pattaya and Phuket are both okay but Pattaya is cheaper and has better transportation system for getting around city.  Beaches are better in Phuket and nightlife in both places is great.  Pattaya is only 90 minutes from Bangkok airport (Suvarnabhumi) which I assume you will arrive.

Hi Mike,
If you have 5 days in Thailand, why don't you visit Chiang Mai. It is the major province in the north of Thailand. You can visit mountain, lots of temples. The weather now is not so hot.
I think it is another option for you.
Pern

Wow thanks so much guys!  That is really good advice.  I am going to spend the day or so really considering going to Phuket or Pattya now!  I might not do Phuket though only because I'm already gonna be flying so much and I'm not sure if I want to take another flight, when I could just take car or bus to Pattya.  But I'll think about it!  So much to decide so soon!

I currently live in Pattaya so if info needed I will attempt to answer.