Loneliness when you're abroad

I read books so I don't feel so low often bot yes sometime when have some health issues feel bad .

I experience for being lonely tooo...It was happen for me most of the time, since I was far with my family also...  but the most I'm doing if I feel lonely  I just tried to sleep only then after that I feel get little better.

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
said Orson Welles

It is the worst thing happens when at abroad. If you are in a crowded and tourustic city it is not difficult to find friends at outside or by internet. However if you are in a small or nontourustic city you have to stay alone. The best thing you should do is to search about people just before you go to any place

I always maintain; if you're lonely it is because you want to be.

am here

sunfhine wrote:

am here

Hi
Now that you are here perhaps you can introduce yourself to the forum.

Hi everyone.

Can any one be helpful to suggest any inspirational or interesting book that i can read during my local leave here in uae..just to make use of time aside from going out wid friends and colleagues to avoid loneliness to sink in during my planned 2-week local holiday this december.. Any suggestion is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!:) cheers!:)

Hello zhari022,

Welcome to Expat-Blog...............
Loneliness is everybody's nature............if you observe it from birth itself we are all alone and time to time we need some support or helping hand for growing and its only for animal who don't need any support .............from the birth itself they start walking themselves............
So try to meditate means think about yourself how times passed the pleasure and sorrow moments...............analyse yourself ..............if have time go out and sit by the river side or sea shore...........try to connect with nature................Hope it will work out for you........................

Regards,
Anil

Christmas is for many people the most lonely and sad time. In Russia it is not celebrated (Orthodox Christmas is on January 7th), so it's a boring working day, both 24th and 25th.
And worse, spending xmas being on a short trip, in a hotel.
Celebration consisted on going to a "nice" restaurant and ordering my favourite plate. And later went to a small shop and bought 2l of Coca Cola and lots of chocolates.
It's kind of sad, isn't it?
Youtube will be my celebration.
Even because of the time difference it's not even proper to call my family or friends. It'll have to be tomorrow.
Meanwhile, i'll enjoy my chocolates and the TV programming offered by this hotel.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas and happy new year. :)

Christmas is for many people the most lonely and sad time. In Russia it is not celebrated (Orthodox Christmas is on January 7th), so it's a boring working day, both 24th and 25th.
And worse, spending xmas being on a short trip, in a hotel.
Celebration consisted on going to a "nice" restaurant and ordering my favourite plate. And later went to a small shop and bought 2l of Coca Cola and lots of chocolates.
It's kind of sad, isn't it?
Youtube will be my celebration.
Even because of the time difference it's not even proper to call my family or friends. It'll have to be tomorrow.
Meanwhile, i'll enjoy my chocolates and the TV programming offered by this hotel.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas.

The fact you got out and done something was much better than sitting indoors and feeling even more bored.!
I bet you enjoyed your favorite plate while you were out?

Always try and find things to do. This is the best way to beat boredom!. Even if there is nothing to do, get out and you may be surprised what the outside world can offer at times!  :)

Indeed Christmas may be a sad time for many, especially for those who are abroad and away from their family and friends. The time difference may be an obstacle too when tying to contact relatives for the festive season. However, dont stop at that. Send them emails or ecards so that they know you're out there thinking of them at Christmas. It works wonders and they will make all the effort towards you too.  ;)

Hi everyone.

Can any one be helpful to suggest any inspirational or interesting book that i can read during my local leave here in uae..just to make use of time aside from going out wid friends and colleagues to avoid loneliness to sink in during my planned 2-week local holiday this december.. Any suggestion is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!:) cheers!:)

Have you found a book that you like yet?
Well this depends on what books you like to read i guess?  :/  May be head down to your local mall and visit the book stores there. Have a browse and see if any book comes across your liking?
I know UAE had one of the most spectacular fireworks last year during the New Years eve, are they having another showdown this year too? if so, may be worth seeing this  ;)

@Anil - good suggestions  :top:  getting out and about is one sure way to beat boredom!!

Seasonal Greetings and Best wishes for the New Year 2015, to all.

:top:

I've just Skyped my son In Norway (from the Caribbean, where we live and where he was brought up). He was recovering from a huge Xmas Dinner in the home of his former girlfriend who is the mother of his two daughters. Also present were the girls and their mother's longtime current boyfriend. [Shakes head - only in Scandinavia!] So now I don't feel lonely any more, having spoken to them all (except the current boyfriend, who doesn't speak English).

All very nice. The Norskies celebrate Xmas on 24th, just to be different.

Loneliness is a state of mind. It's a matter of choice.
If you're lonely, try to find things that makes you happy.  :top:
Nostalgia is sometimes there, but still we can make a change.
Go and make friends outside and feel the good vibes   :par: 

Happy Holidays! :)

Homesickness, like any other vaguely communicable disease, won't go away overnight   :(

I come from Africa kenya where people are very friendly
And weekends are beautiful

Exchange phone no we can look for a sulution to finish our loneliness

January04 wrote:

Homesickness, like any other vaguely communicable disease, won't go away overnight   :(

You are right , it will not go overnight but like any other disease it also need proper treatment otherwise it changes into depression.

While I love where I work and am happy here I am still lonely.  Doesn't help that my relationship ended when I moved.

Jo welcome to the forum.  Yes moving to a new place, starting a new job and ending a relationship all in one stroke can leave one lonely.

You need to just focus on you right now and let things settle in  your head.  Then start doing what you like to do and you will start meeting new people that share you likes... a  fresh start.

Bob K

Many new expats seem to think they must seek friends in the "native" community. Well, in time, perhaps; but it's best to start with the expat community or communities. My wife and I did this in London (England) Toronto (Canada) in the 1960s, Nassau (Bahamas) also in the '60s, Perth (Australia) in 1971, Vila (New Hebrides - now called Vanuatu) in the '70s, then the south of Spain and the island of Corfu (Greece) later, and then here on Grand Cayman (Caribbean) in 1978. Every single time it proved to be the easiest way to make new friends, and I strongly recommend it. The only place where there were no expats and we had to find new friends among the natives was in Bath (England) in 1977.

Of course it always helps to show up at sports events. In our early days in Nassau I used to go down and watch the Rugby every Saturday, just to mingle with the spectators. (I've never been a fan of Rugby - Union, anyway - but my attendance served its purpose! I honestly can't fathom why loneliness should be a factor in a new place.

I try to call my family and friends weekly to avoid feeling that.

Helps a lot!!

:par: you will be welcome in my Saigon for a home-stay style! Sherry

I watch TV if I'm lonely.  Well, online stuff that I like.  Just being out among random people makes me miss my family and friends more.

I was just looking, is this the worlds longest forum thread? 9 years? Wow.

I left home for school when I was 18 and never felt an ounce of loneliness ever since. Im almost 16 years in Malaysia and if anything dread trips home. I never miss home and family and friends. It doesnt mean any of us hate each other, I just dont feel it. I dont think I have a screw loose but I do think ive been lucky that way. I have only felt loneliness in a crowd, whether my country or any country.

The secret is to make new friends (expat friends are easier to make, in my experience), so that you don't get time to "miss" the old folks at home. My wife and I left our respective Australian towns in 1963, and didn't get back there till 1970, and then only to meet each other's parents. By then we had lost all feelings of  allegiance to Oz, in favour of allegiance to our new "home nation" of Expatria. I last went back in 1995; my wife has been a couple of times since. CVCO's comment was spot on!

try to join religious or sport communities will make you better for sure :)

fiery thing wrote:

there are times when i feel blessed to live safely and enjoy the sun and snow  and just to have the experience of meeting  other people...learning the language does help to integrate...  sometimes i just feel the need to connect.

That's the ticket, Fiery! :top: Bust up this pity party with a gratitude meditation and a little chutzpah!

cccmedia, buying a beverage for another Expat in Quito Ecuador

Hi Dijana,
Apparently your last reply has not been registered/posted.. So no worries!

Enjoy the evening,
Z

Anđeo wrote:

Please ignore last reply from me. I pressed something and it sent without my permission.

Knowing the language and having money to spend definitely helps. Online forums like this are good.

Get a massage.

In Chiang Mai, Thailand, Thai massage for under ten dollars an hour is widely available.  Some places near Thapae Gate have open massage rooms were multiple Expats are receiving Thai massage in a group setting.

Upon arrival in Baguio City, The Philippines, my taxi driver arranged for a masseuse to come to my hotel.

Here in Quito, the likely venue is a room in the back of a hair salon within three blocks of Amazonas y Wilson.  There are many salons in this area.  I like Dodie's Peluquería on Wilson between Amazonas and JL Mera -- both masseuses there are great.

Massage is healthful, relaxing, connecting and mood-enhancing sans "substances."

cccmedia in Quito, Ecuador

I just relocated to shaoxing city in china...and i must confess loneliness is killing me...am dealing with language barrier etc i need an english speaking friend before loneliness kills me...

Dear Flitmod,

You are fortunate to live in the age of virtual reality.

While you are seeking English-speaking friend(s) in China and forestalling a slow death from loneliness and boredom, follow your interests to meeting some English-speaking friends and acquaintances, online. :)

Expat.com, which has many forums, wasn't a bad place to start. :top:

cccmedia

I may just say, despite the amazing wonders of meeting people online.. I really miss the organic feel of making acquaintances in real life, meeting people randomly on the streets, in the bus... And now everyone is so involved in their cell phones that they seem almost inaccessible even sitting right next to you..

Just a thought... : )
Z

cccmedia wrote:

You are fortunate to live in the age of virtual reality.

Hopefully you will enjoy it soon! : )

Good luck!

Anđeo wrote:

I agree, when I leave this safe home one day, I want to start being way less online with social media.

Each to his own situation. I have lived abroad in a non English-speaking environment for three years. It's been a struggle. I miss, as some have mentioned, the everyday chats. I do feel isolated and alone much of the time. It's a mental struggle.

curioussam wrote:

Each to his own situation. I have lived abroad in a non English-speaking environment for three years. It's been a struggle. I miss, as some have mentioned, the everyday chats. I do feel isolated and alone much of the time. It's a mental struggle.

I imagine things can get grim for an Engish-speaking Expat in a new environment in some obscure town in Japan.

Maintain some sanity and boost your English-speaking environment for $9.99 a month, exploring over one million titles at amazon.com through Kindle Unlimited and the free Kindle Cloud Reader.

While you're at it, check out Amazon Prime for even more options.

The Amazon programs typically offer a one-month free trial.

cccmedia in the capital of Ecuador

I'm experiencing the same thing too here in china...no english speaking friend...language barrier...and i noticed they're not friendly in this part of china;shaoxing city

Thanks for the information. I already have a Kindle Cloud reader. Cheers!

Arigato gozaimasu. Watashi wa ima nihongo o benkyoshimasu.

Hi Curioussam,

Since this is a English forum, please post in English.

Z

curioussam wrote:

Arigato gozaimasu. Watashi wa ima nihongo o benkyoshimasu.

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR