Commute to Subang

Hi, We would be moving from India to KL soon, and work location would be Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang. However, we are considering schools like ISKL, Alice Smith, Garden Intl for our 9 year old, which are pretty far from work location. What are the areas that we can consider to rent a house. The requirements are - area should be maximum half hour from school, route to office should not have high traffic, commute time to office within 45 min - 1 hour (one way) by car, child friendly condos, fully furnished 3 or 4 bhk condos within 7K MYR (decent Indian community in the area is a preference though it doesn't weigh high than the other requirements).

Thanks in advance!

ISKL - Ukay Perdana or Beverly Heights or KLCC north  (still a lot of traffic to get through KL) - not a good option
Alice Smith - Brickfields (Indian Quarter) or Bangsar
Garden Intl - Mont Kiara or Sri Hartamas or Bandar Utama or Taman Tun Dr Ismail (mainly middle class family areas)

Checking out the different curriculae offered to see how they fit with current schooling would be a good idea e.g. Garden School uses a USA education system. How will her education continue when you leave Malaysia?

Mont Kiara/One Utama are closest to your work place and about equidistant to Garden Int.

You have not mentioned the British International School - it really is worth a good look and their fees and costs are better. It is also located on the "right side" of town.

First you should check if schools have spaces for the year required. This is often a problem.

Check the fees as well (and hidden costs)

Hidden costs of schools

Thanks a lot, Gravitas. Isn't Garden, a British Curriculum School? I see they follow IPC and IGCSE. Am I missing something?

With regards to The British International School, we have it in our list, but I missed mentioning it. Thanks.

Yes, I read that many of these schools have waitlist depending on the class and the time that we seek admission. We will be moving to KL only in July next year. Can I check for the availability now? Is it too early?

Is there a link where I can check the fees and hidden costs for all these schools. The link given by you does not open.

Thanks again!

It is best to check availability of places as early as possible. Although it may mean you have to pay an application fee to secure a place (hence read the article sent to your PM about hidden costs). Also need to ask how long the reservation of a place is valid to avoid having to repay the fee at some point.

Sorry I was thinking of Mont Kiara International School. I heard that both are rather clicky and elitist and of course Garden is the largest school in Asia (in total over 2,000 pupils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

There are definitely better options. I think they are doing a lot of building works there and it is right on a major highway (below the road level) and surrounded by high rise

The picture does not lie https://www.gardenschool.edu.my/

You can find more information and opinions on schools at http://www.expat go malaysia.  com/     forum/

Thanks, Gravitas. Do you have suggestions on schools in and around Subang, may be within a 15 kms radius. Traffic seems a big problem. So, we want to have our options in case we do not get a seat or we decide to stay nearer to office.

Also, my child is in Grade 3 currently in India, following ICSE, which is an Indian curriculum. I am unable to decide if I should go for IB or IGCSE curriculum in KL. We would be in KL for four years, post which, there are equal chances that we move back to India or continue in KL or shift to the UK. If we get back to India, IB options are very very less, and are very expensive. In KL, company would bear the education expenses. Is there any discussion already on IB Vs IGCSE.