What is the problems that expat found in Morocco?

any expat from any place around the world can found problems in other countrie ...why for lot of reasons..
cultural shock
different sense of humor
different rules
different kitchen

and more reasons can make the expat surprised by what he see ..what he hear..what he feel..
changing your countrie to live in other countrie is surely great however there is always some things that this expat can't understand ..."why it must be like that and how it continu with that" ...
lot of questions in his head...
so what is the problems that you found or you meet here?
if you have some questions don't keep them please
we are here to talk about to talk about .

Well would like to contribute with my experiences.
Here we have many from many other countries. My advantage is to not have a cultural shock in social part. Since Turkish culture of social communication is not too much different. We are also hot blooded, love to dive in a chat even with people we newly met. And yes, even in useless topics. Same applies to hospitality. Sure not the hospitality of Casa (hell no). What I mention is the core Moroccan culture what I saw out of this corrupted casa.
And I was aware of those social similarities before coming. That effected my decision. Cold environment of europe never matches us. That's why we try to not prefer those areas unless we have a great offer.

Anyway, let's turn back to topic. There is just a small shock in kitchen culture. Surprisingly Turkish kitchen and Moroccan is also similar. No trouble to adapt. Except Insane consuming of sugar. But in the other part, the vegetables and meat is far more tasty in Morocco. In Turkey they use hormonones in agriculture to catch needs of population.. That makes all tasteless. So I'm quite happy on kitchen part. And even after 3 years, still there are lefts to discover.

In despite of many similarities, sense of humor is seriously different. And not a surprise since "sense of humor" is something establishing through centuries with blend of geography, life style, business, politics, economics etc. Hard to catch something same. Nice part is, since Turkey is overloaded with cultural differences we got a universal sense of humor. That's why we can make Moroccans laugh, but pity that they can't do the same for us. Moroccan sense is unique. I'm still on discover.

Rules are not an issue. What I see is weakened (more free) daily and commercial rules in here. But when it comes to de-facto rules, (I mean traditions) things changes. Moroccan traditions are not something shocking, but sometimes they sound funny. And I'm sure Moroccans will find our traditions funny also. It is how it works in cross cultural contacts.

Up to now everything looks great. But sure not. Let's touch to hard part also.
In despite of many social similarities, business culture of Morocco is something completely alien to us. Strictly different. And it's killing me. Lead me to lost money for more than one year. Now mostly fixed but still losing time. And "time is the most valuable thing" that I have.

What we face here is an extreme flexibility and comfort. What we learned in our culture is extreme straightness. Promises lacking, there is no value of time, words are not something you can trust. In summary, you can not trust anything but yourself. Any plan regarding to time, amounts or conditions are under risk of fail.

Half of my days are passing to understand and adapt this difference. I had to manage this difference. After solving that issue, I can feel myself at home in real manner.

thank you for all this analyse of your view about this problems that you found in morocco as turkish :) and i am agree that there no lot of difference perhaps between turkey and morocco just some...but if you analyse like that everything happend that you don't understand you will found solution by yourself and you will not really need help for...wish you to earn more money and not to loose it :-D

While there are a few good things, but this thread is about the "problems", so that's what I will specifically respond to, in order to stay on topic:

- Being treated as a walking ATM Machine, that anyone can exploit.

- False assumption that everyone from the West is mega-loaded. So that "justifies" charging them 5 x more, as apparently it won't have any impact on them.

- Experienced racism and dishonesty.

- Lack of professionalism. Lack of order.

- Getting things done quicker, by paying a bribe. I was advised to pay bribes if I want to get anything done, otherwise it won't be taken seriously.

- Having to constantly watch out for my belongings.

- Oh, and quick & easily turn to anger.

And another one is, many people seem to be wanting to leave the country. I get asked about how to get a visa to move abroad, as if it's something that I could get them just like that. Some try to befriend me, and hope that it would lead to a "relationship" and result in me taking them abroad. Even on this website, you will find many people who's only purpose & intention on here is to set up meetings with expats in order to "exchange culture", whatever that is supposed to mean!

Problems?

Here is one that it is very difficult to adjust to. Lying is socially acceptable in Morocco. People learn to lie from the age of one upwards. They do it with such fervour that you simply believe them. You have to get out of the Western habit of taking most of what is said to you by others as being true and start realising that most of what is said to you is a pack of lies. And unnecessary lies too. Lies are told even when there is no advantage to lying over the truth.

If someone says they have a disabled child, don't believe it till you see it. If someone says they have a degree, don't believe it till you have seen their graduation certificate. If someone says they want to invest money, they are almost certainly lying and trying to swindle money out of you. If an office says that the papers will be ready in an hour, it's a lie. It will take two weeks. If someone says "J'ai l'esprit europeene" (I think like a European) you can be sure that they will be the worst rip-off artist that you have met.

To add to that, another problem I faced was, I found that a Moroccan will side with a Moroccan, before they even hear the full story. In their eyes, I'm automatically in the wrong, simply because I'm a non-Moroccan.

Good evening
thank you for the words.

I made similar experience. Not so bad as soon as I understaood it.
I am now older and still not clue enought to bridge ower "non"marocan "handling.
I will let it for the younger population.

Now to get peace :
... I am paying the tourist prices
... I am not discusing a bout the prices
... I am going to shop to Mxxxx where are high prixes for all

... And I like the Maroco.
As soon as you have a job and the place to live. You have everything.
The land is beutyfull and food amazing and most people are fine.
Not all of the people are bad but this is valid for my home country people too.

I am not rich and I can  not buy what I want but for the basic stuff is it enought.

I am direct speaking which is not popular.
Who want listen  is listening

I stop to hear on: insh alah
based on my experience ... I translated it  as a polide form of NO.

A comment which was given to men: not everithing what lights as a gold is a gold.

If you want to go abroud be prepare to pay for it. And here I am not speaking abou the money. . The chance/ change cost you your energy and healt. You musst be prepare to be better than others in the new coutry.

... But if you do not try you will not beleave.
So.... Tge future  is open.

Good night and and do notlet you angry

Now to get peace :
... I am paying the tourist prices
... I am not discusing a bout the prices
... I am going to shop to Mxxxx where are high prixes for all

Totally wrong - Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves

That's fine for a short stay. But for someone planning to stay longer/permanently, there is no reason to continue paying tourist prices when they are not tourists. You could hear the prices given to the locals, and start using that to get an idea of the right prices, as well as talking to people of course, and asking on this forum.