New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourself here

Hey there,

My family and I (husband and 6 month old son) have just moved to Maia, Porto. We are getting things sorted, slowly, with regards to residency as my husband will be a PhD student at the University of Porto.
There are a couple of things I have been wondering about:
Where can we meet with people to learn and improve our very limited portuguese? We don't know enough to understand most people then they speak in English so we can understand but that doesn't help our portuguese...
Are there any young mums groups/baby play groups around? Maia and the university area both fine for us. In addition to this, any idea where I can get second hand or cheap baby things eg high chair, crib, push chair?
Coming from a Pentecostal church background (and finding ourselves in a Catholic Church this morning), are there any similar churches in Porto? Pentecostal, Baptist and Apostolic are the three I am most familiar with.

Thank you in advance for any help! I hope to meet you around the place!
Jessica :)

JNeal wrote:

Coming from a Pentecostal church background (and finding ourselves in a Catholic Church this morning), are there any similar churches in Porto? Pentecostal, Baptist and Apostolic are the three I am most familiar with.

Well there's https://www.facebook.com/primeiraigrejabaptistadoporto and if you go there, try the Confeitaria Petúlia nearby: http://goo.gl/maps/05vBF;)

Hello! From which country you are?

je suis française et j'ai vecu 4ans aux caraÏbes, et vous?

Salut, je m'appelle Pedro, Portugais, Mon profile est ici au site.

Hi All,

My husband and I are from South Africa, we are planing to move Portugal next year, specifically Caldes da Rainha. I would like to find out how it is over there, what the job situation is, is it easy for one to start your own business, and how important is it too speak Portuguese fluently.

Thanks
Lisa & Eddy

Hi,
i was on holiday in Lisbon for 10 days in September and i fell in love.
I am looking for a way to move there and to practice my job( i am graduated pharmacist).
Also i really like the city and people there. :)

Hi, I just arrived to Lisbon yesterday, and I will work here for one year. I already lived here for 6 months as an Erasmus in 2009. I want to get to know people who live in the area of or around Lisbon.

hello,
i am from Nepal .

Hi I'm originally from Wrexham North Wales, moved to Cascais in Feb 2014 to be with my portuguese partner and son. We have now moved to Carcavelos, Looking for work at the moment, I have had extensive experience in many different work environments, the food sector and construction industries... but not speaking portuguese  :/

Hi,

I am from India and planning to move to lisbon for employment purpose.

Will appreciate if you could please guide me for the monthly living expense in lisbon for 1 person.

Studio flat monthly rental expense?
Monthly utilities expense (electricity, gas)?
Internet, tv monthly expense?
Food expense monthly?
Transportatiin expense monthly?

I am getting a Salary offer of 2000 USD /Monthly. Is that sufficient enough to manage living expense and make some savings.

Looking forward for your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Manish

Hi,

I am from India and planning to move to lisbon for employment purpose.

Will appreciate if you could please guide me for the monthly living expense in lisbon for 1 person.

Studio flat monthly rental expense?
Monthly utilities expense (electricity, gas)?
Internet, tv monthly expense?
Food expense monthly?
Transportatiin expense monthly?

I am getting a Salary offer of 2000 USD /Monthly. Is that sufficient enough to manage living expense and make some savings.

Looking forward for your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Manish

:top: Obrigado muito ansiosos ofertas de emprego

Hello Miguel 008 and glad to have you on board Expat.com :)

Since this is the anglophone version of the forum, you are kindly requested to write only in English.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I live in Albufeira , just moved this year . I am a singer / songwriter and play music for a living and have done so many years . I am single and looking forward to meeting new friends in Portugal .

Hi, my name is Paulina and I'm from Poland. I am outgoing, happy, creative, funny and nice. That's me. Now I live in Krakow but I want move to Lisbon this February, i'm looking for any job where is required English and/ or Polish. I am a dispositional and responsible person with efficient communication skills, able to think in a creative way and having organizational skills which allow to organize a job in an optimal way. I like to work in a team, and in stressfull situations I stay calm. Besides that I am an ambitious person with self determination and willing to learn, I always try to fulfill the duties the best I can I have been working since I have finished my Masters in 2012, including 6 months in the USA. I love learning and experiencing life. One of my biggest passions is traveling and exploring new cultures. If you have any information which might be of use, I would be grateful to hear from you. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss the possibility of a job :)

Hi,

I am living in Lisbon since 4 months with my French wife and my 3 children to start a new venture focused on Real estate advise for new comers to Portugal ! We help new comers to settle down as well as professional investors looking for large investments in buildings!

I have worked in banks and finance for 15 years in France and Switzerland and I am very happy to come back to my home country!
We are hiring French, Dutch, and English speakers sales people to work from Lisbon.
Will be happy to get in touch with anyone interested.

Ola,

My name is Triin and I am an Estonian who has been staying in Coimbra for the past three months as an exchange students in the University of Coimbra. I am here with my boyfriend (who finished his studies last year) and although sadly he has not been able to find work here due to the economic situation and the fact the we only speak some very basic Portuguese, he was lucky enough to be able to work for an Estonian company via Internet. As I finish my studies here in January, but we really like Portugal and are especially interested in the Azores, we would be more than happy to receive any information about the possibility of finding work here. We would like to go there for four months to a year. We are not afraid of physical work and long days and we would be really grateful for any kind of help :)

ola people,
I'm a sound engineer music producer, artist and family man hoping to move to lisbon early next year , and later bring the family ... any inroads into the music entertainment scene, places to stay(in around lisbon) with family and schools would be a huge help
obrigado
derick

hey cdebrito, im open to your offer. .... want to wrap my head around the language (portuguese) when i move so interaction with as many people in the local language would benefit...
cheers
derick

hi all...
im gita from indonesia,, my profession is kindergarten teacher, baby sitter, tuttor, student of university, and painter also. im independent girl. cause before i stayed in dormitory with many kids for 3 years.  i have planing want to move to portugal . but idk when,,haha
the reason cause portugal is memorable for me.. i went from portugal for holiday on november 2014. 10 days im there with my virtual good friend. yes, my first reason cause him, portuguese. we have chat on internet, in relation ship just for 6 months. but after that he said to me cant keep going again with this virtual love because the conditions so complicated between us. more over actually he had son from his x.. and he planned again to back to his x, back again to real life.. so, im broken hurt and.. gone away from him. haha. im block all his account from all my social media. we didnt talk keep and touch for 5 months, thats really really horrible moment for me. im felt lost....  i  dont know why i cant forgot him. even after i lost him, i  did many things to solve, to  made me can meet him in real. then,, taraaaaa.. i got a chance from aupair. 3 mothns searched on internet, i got family who stayed in france. i dont have money, but they r pay all my travel cost. im so lucky!  then after that im decide to left my job and pending my study in university. i wanna focus with aupair programme. my first time in my live i have motivation to go out from my safezone. im never go to anywhere in indonesia. just stay at home and dormitory. but my first time i really want do something for my life, my happiness. he is my motivation to be brave to took this decision. so i dont care anymore about my job and my study. then finally after 3 months in france i tried to sent email to him, and started again to communication. how surprise he is. and he said sorry ever hurted me.then he really shocked when i said i near with him, moreover i have bought the ticket to go to portugal. then,, here we goooo!!! finally i meet him. my first love. yes i guess,,,, i love him , i love portugal, lisbon, sintra, porto, sao martinho....he  gave to know and brought me to all that place. he is nice guy. and i want back again. and live there. (i wishhhhhh.... )
but .. until now he still ignore me ,although we spend 10 days together, playing, have fun, singing, laughing, walk on street , talking , and cooking for him all indonesian food. and he love it!   but, he still stuck with his x and his son. i just cried and cried. but i cant.. leave him.. i dont know why.. its like.. disease,, need a good drugs to made me hit this disease. i have tried. but, i guess all people who ever fall in love understand me. although he hurt me many times, but i just forgive and forgive him. more over just want make him happy.. so.. i need to be, to do something more again. now after back from france everynight im fighting to looking for a chance on internet . i tries to aplly all site about aupair , baby sitter, house keeper or caregiver in portugal and spain. i got some family in spain, but for finally they r ignore me cause the procedure of visa. so sad and made me down. but im still trying.. until now. try and pray. just that what i can do. dont say im stupid, cause yes ofcourse im stupid. dont say im stubborn, cause yes im so, so, so stubborn. but what should i do?? as long as i still have 2 hand to catch, 2 foot for run, and 2 eyes to see anything. i will keep going with this dream. i will give up if finally he marry and happy with someone. ok.... i guess i talked about my story a lot and bored for u guys! and my english i guess so horrible also.. HIKS .. (T_T)
but i just can say that ,why im here and looking for so hard the job in lisbon... thanks for ur attention, nice to meet u all! GOD BLESS U!! :*

Hi  Mr.Cdebrito,
I have big experience in promotion, communication, management & one year
in Real Estate.I speak German , Russian (native) , English. I'll be very glad
to help you in the future when German & Russian languages will be actual
for you business. Feel free to contact me : alsn014 (at) gmail.com
Best wishes.
Alex.
     Germany.

Hi everyone,

My name is Krisz, I'm from Hungary. I moved to Portugal, because my boyfriend is Portuguese and currently I am staying in Lisbon. I registered because I am looking for some company to hang around and enjoy the beautiful city of Lisbon. I speak English and a little bit of Portuguese. Feel free to drop me a message! :)

Hi I am binod from Nepal,this time I am in Lisbon I just wanna do job..if anybody know about the some job please contact me.920106546 [email protected]
I have experience...5 years working in Saudi Arabia as accommodation supervisor and have computers scils,talkking English well....I hope some one help me.

Hello, I come from Riga, Latvia  - a small, but lovely country near the Baltic sea. Last couple of years I was considering to move abroad with my family to get new experience (including professional), learn new culture, languages, make new friends. This autumn I had a chance to visit Lisbon and I felt in love, so I really plan to move to Lisbon to live and work there. I have a degree in Business administration and I have worked as sales and marketing manager in hotels and real estate business. I think my greatest challenge will be to find a good job in Lisbon as I don't speak Portuguese yet, but I have good knowledge of Russian. In Lisbon there are many international companies, so if you have any good ideas or you have in mind any particular company which works with Eastern Europe, please share!
I'm sure I will love Portugal.

hi there, how are you?

hi, i am bilal. coming to lisbon very soon

OK  thx

Hey, I'm Max from Belgium! I fell in love with Portugal, and Lisbon in particular, about 2 years ago when I was backpacking trough Europe. Since then I spend over 2 months in Lisbon and I love it!

Hi , im Vedel  and will be retiring to the Algarve in 2017.(moderated: please post in the housing section)

Hi!
My name is Victoria. I have been living in Portugal (Algarve) for 4 years with my American husband, and now we are moving to Lisbon ( with our 3 month old baby girl) for some new experience.  I am 31 years old. I was born in Riga, Latvia, but my parents are from Russia, so my native language is Russia, then Latvian, we speak English at home, I speak French, because we had spent 6 years in Brussels, and Portuguese( not perfect, but I am trying ; )).  I love cooking, surfing, yoga, food and wine, hiking, skiing, shoes ☺️, theatre and just hanging out with family and friends. I am looking forward to meeting many interesting people and, hopefully, making new friends; ) I will be very to meet up with you guys! Thanks!

Hi Etheleen!

I am new here, just subscribed, I am moving to Lisbon in a few months with my husband and a 3 year old baby girl. My husband has a 13 year old, but she lives with her mum in Dublin and visits us here. Have you moved to Lisbin yet? Maybe we could meet up one day?
Cheers,
Victoria

Hi Evia,

My name is Victoria, I am from Riga too. I am moving to Lisbon in a month or so. Have you moved to Lisbon yet?

Cheers,

Hi looking for advice, I am hoping to move to Portugal with my wife and daughter in 2017, we will buying a  property and will have a monthly income of £1000 per month.  Will that income be sufficient to have a good lifestyle.

Hi I'm Shane. I am moving to albufiera in march. How is life over there?

Hi how are you .I want a friend I am alone and lonely if you interested and give me your mobile number

hiya!
I'm Sam (23 years old) moving from London to Lisbon for work, I'm originally from Barcelona and I love discovering new places and international people, I'm coming on the 12th of February , looking forward to it indeed ;)
I hope to meet nice people around here.

Feel free to drop me a message if someone is interested in meeting there.

Many thanks,
Sam

hi, try to looking for to know to get work visa in portugal without from provider job ... anyone know information about that here? let me know please. how the procedure details, so many thanks :)

Good luck! I hope it works for you. I hate it here and this is why:My name is Carol.  Really, a place to live is a place to live with all its problems, and there are always problems no matter where you live. I have lived in Oporto, Portugal for the past 9 years, and I want to change my address to Barcelona. Frankly, I have run out of schools I can feel comfortable studying anything at, and I won't even dare try another gym. I have a degree in English and a Master's in Special Education, and yet, I haven't been able to last at any of the schools here longer than 3 months, because of the total lack of tolerance for foreign students, especially non-traditional older ones such as myself that this country is fraught with. Wow! The gyms have been even worse than the schools! Despite my age and my marital status, I have been harrassed sexually by gym personnel. In addition, at one gym a mantenance man walked into the ladies room at 11:30 in the morning while I was totally naked, and it was just fine with the owner. In another gym, a whole troup of repair men came into a ladies room and broke the locks off of our lockers, and dumped our belongings, Money and all, on dressing room benches. Oh, how about the literal crap that used to appear in the steam room at Virgin Active Health club in the city, and how about the time I saved a woman's life because she swallowed water in their very pool like jacuzzi. Of course, when I made a stink about all of this, I was the bad guy, so I was the one thrown out of the gym despite the fact that I saved the woman from dying because she was choking and I was the only one there to save her life. She was the only one in the bunch who thanked me. I am hoping the people in Bercelona will be a little more user friendly, and inteligente than the very narrow minded, irresponsible, crude rude Portugues I have experience over the years I have had the unfortunate curse of living with such garbage I can't believe it. I'm hoping things can't be worse than they have been here. By the way, I was born in the USA in New York, but since 9/11 it has become a police state like hell there which is why my husband and I left. My husband is Portuguese. Different strokes for diferente folks. Maybe you will like it. Pardon my mispelling, but I'm tired of fighting with my Portuguese computer that is constantly changing my spelling to the correct way - the only correct way- the Portuguese way.

Hello to everyone.

My name is Jonpaul and i am itching to move to Portugal and my wife is just as keen as i am.
At the moment we are in London (born and bred) and ready to have a new challenge with new beginnings.
We are hoping to find a place we can call home in central Portugal, we already have quite a list of properties to come over and view, in the areas from Penela and down towards Tomar and maybe as far east as Castelo Branco region (but the Mrs would prefer to be a little closer to the sea so would more than likely find our home more in central Portugal) our goal is to live and more self sufficient life and try to live off the grid as much as possible, and Portugal seems to tick all our boxes for this to happen.  :)
Hopefully we will find what were looking for and can post our progress in the near future.
In the meantime i will go through as many of your blogs as possible, and if any one knows of some really great blogs (diarys) for me to look through then feel free to let me know, thankyou.

Closed