The other side of the Haitian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Haiti, how would you describe the two sides of your Haitian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Just returned today from two weeks of missions work at a small orphanage in Croix des Bouquet, an area I have become familiar with over past three visits (one two-and-a-half months right after the 2010 earthquake).  Nice house and great lot with area where the kids can play...nice trees in good area.  BUT unsafe electric, a non-working well
(meaning water had to be carried from neighbors; rainwater is also collected), horrible roads, crazy traffic are realities of daily...and we were more fortunate than many.  Still, God's Spirit calls me to Haiti and her people.

In July last year I wrote a short essay for my blog telling of my brief experience of Haiti as a young man travelling alone. My post was called "Eight O'clock White Man's Time", and can be found in the July 2013 Archives of the blog - which is at http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com . Anybody interested in Haiti might find it interesting; I doubt if the countryside has changed much since then!

Dear Enigmadi

I am so glad you are giving your time to the children of Haiti and I want to thank you for that. I am originally from Croix des bouquets and have lived in Boston, MA FOR 13 YEARS. I am currently working in Haiti myself. Whenever you are back to Haiti please let me know if we can help make your stay more comfortable [moderated: no free ads pls].

Dear Valliere25 -- Thank you...I will contact you on my next trip to Haiti.  I hope to travel to the wedding of friends there in December.  However, realistically, it will be probably be sometime after the first of the year.

No problem. See you then. Hope that I still have something available for you.