English Primay and High Schools in Reunion Island?

We are currently living abroad and are thinking of relocating to Reunion Island. Are there any English Primary and High schools?

None whatsoever!

What are other schooling options? What do other English speaking expats do?

The only other schooling options are to put children in public or private schools, but all teaching will be in French, apart from some special classes ('Classe Européenne') in some lycées (high schools).

There are very few couples of English-speakers on the island; most English-speakers have a French-speaking spouse/partner. English speakers who want their children to grow up speaking English have to put in the effort at home, and/or there are some private classes for children starting at a young age but it's generally only a few hours of week.

HTH

There is a bilingual English & French school opening in August 2013 in La Possession. It'll follow the Montessori method.

If you have questions, lmk (I'm not the organiser, but I will be working there).

Hi, i'm a Pgce qualified and experienced teacher ( from london) now living in reunion island. I' m interested in going back to teaching. Is the montessori school now open and running?
Thanks for your reply!!
Veronique

Oups read the opening date wrong! If its due to open in august 2013  have you started recruting teachers yet?
Veronique

I'm looking for High Schools addresses in Reunion to ask them to participate in a new Comenius project. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance

Two possibilities for contact details:

(1) go to http://www.onisep.fr/Mes-infos-regional … chargement and click on "Répertoire des Lycées, des CFA et des MFR à La Réunion" which will download a PDF file with contact details.

or

(2) go to http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid24301/a … rche.html, choose 'lycée' then "Réunion" in 'département' or 'académie' then click on 'visualiser' and that will bring up a list.

Thank you very much. You have been very helful:)

Hi there, I was wondering if you have moved to Reunion Island and if you manage to sort out the school issue.  we are French national  but my children speak only English and i I am intending to move to Reunion island , how did your children cope from English to French schooling? Thanks for your help.

hi norosoa

Did you get the answers to your questions?
by the way when will you be here? Are your children happy to start a new life here?

christ974

Hi Is this English school open? Do you have details for me please. Thanks Celia

lotsofplaces - Did you come right with school in Reunion?

Hi, hi, I am trying to get as much info about schools and the island. We are moving to the island over the Xmas break. My children are going to the international school nearby Paris. We have to find a right location to live and new schools for the children (4 and 6). I have read to comments and would like to get more info about the school in La Possession. Any kind of info is welcome. Thanks!

Hi Will you be looking for a French or English teaching school?

Hi,

I was thinking maybe both, they are following French and Dutch at the moment and me and my partner talking English together so a.combination would be perfect.

hi,

there are three schools of that kind in reunion...they have someone who helped them in english whole day but i was said that it is not what we could call a bilingual school!

here is what i can say about this!

christ

Hi there,

I am an English teacher interested in teaching English a La Reunion. Please can you outline which high schools or senior school there are on the island which would be looking for an English teacher.

Thanks

Evadnee

Hi Evadnee

To teach in a public school in Reunion you need to pass a competitive exam and obtain a qualification called a CAPES.
There are two private high schools, Lycee St Charles and Lycee Levavasseur that might hire someone without a CAPES but I'm not totally sure.
The only other option is a post as an English teaching assistant, for which you would have to contact the Education Department directly: http://www.ac-reunion.fr.
I'm presuming you speak French? Very difficult to get by in Reunion if you don't.
Bear in mind Reunion's school year runs August to July and not January to December like South Africa.

In a previous post, it was mentioned that there are 4 schools which have a english teacher to help the kids that don't speak French. My daughter is 11yrs old, she can only understand a small amount of French.
Could I please have the names of these schools.
Or would anyone know of teacher available during the July - September holidays, to teach her French before she would start school in September.
Thank you

I arrived in January and I am taking French courses at DP langues but that is a private company. Check leboncoin.fr Sometimes you'll find people that help children with private lessons on different subjects. If I think of something else I will let you know.

Sonia

flyingboat wrote:

In a previous post, it was mentioned that there are 4 schools which have a english teacher to help the kids that don't speak French. My daughter is 11yrs old, she can only understand a small amount of French.
Could I please have the names of these schools.
Or would anyone know of teacher available during the July - September holidays, to teach her French before she would start school in September.
Thank you

hello,
the schools are called "montessori school" ... if you are to settle in the south it will be a pleasure to help your daughter!
i give private lessons to children...

christ

Hello
Our 3 chidren leaving at saint Paul are looking for an english teacher
Once or Twice a week
Do you Know somebody interested?

See you soon

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security

Hello, My son or I could be interested to teach your children English. My son is finishing his bachelor in psychology here in the state. He loves children, he will be on the island beginning next Thursday. Myself, was a teacher in Philadelphia. I moved to the island last July ( i am in the states right now for vacation). I will call you next Friday the 29 of May. Take care, Renee

Hello
I am waiting to your call on friday
Don't you Think la plaine des cafres is too far from saint Paul?
What would be your price for one hour and the half or two Hours a week?
And would you be free very soon to stay several afternoons, and keep them and play with them in English because i need not to look after my children for Times to Times because I have got a new baby (three days old)
See you on friday
Noémi Allaire

Thanks for answering. My son Jerome would like to work more than an hour or so. But if he can work a schedule around other babysitting job, he would. We talk soon

Ok
So i suppose it is not interesting for  you?
But perhaps for Jérôme?
What job does he Will do at la Reunion?
Because we should préfér not a student who will work just a few weeks or  months, and givre away
See you soon

Noemiallaire wrote:

Ok
So i suppose it is not interesting for  you?
But perhaps for Jérôme?
What job does he Will do at la Reunion?
Because we should préfér not a student who will work just a few weeks or  months, and givre away
See you soon

Hello,
First, i'd like to welcome you on the site. Are you looking for  an English people to give them lessons? how old are they?how many hours a week? are you looking for a babysitter or an English teacher?it's important that you clarify your post for a better understanding!

christ

Hello

Our chidren are 4,7 and 9
We are looking for somebody teaching them english,
Little part of time "seriously" and part Time by playing  , speaking english once a week one hour and the half or 2 hours
But at thé moment for a few days we would Like that person could stay longer for babysitting a few afternoons
Sorry my english is bad!

If you are ever down by St Pierre (a bit far away from you I know) my wife  (who is French but bilingual) runs weekly after school English classes for primary school kids in our house (it includes games and our bilingual kids (a girl and boy, 6 & 8) join in).

Stephen

Hello
Thanks for answering
It's a Pity , but we canot move.
I have got a new baby three days ago!

So i am looking for somebody coming home
Noémi

Let's met when we are back. Maybe sometime Friday 29.  What is your native language?

Well, Jerome will be on the island only for three months. I understand you would like someone who stay. Well, It wont work for Jerome.

Noemiallaire wrote:

Hello

Our chidren are 4,7 and 9
We are looking for somebody teaching them english,
Little part of time "seriously" and part Time by playing  , speaking english once a week one hour and the half or 2 hours
But at thé moment for a few days we would Like that person could stay longer for babysitting a few afternoons
Sorry my english is bad!

i don"t know anyone who can do it... in st paul! i also run weekly after school english classes at home but i live in st pierre!! From July to August i'm planning to set up some sessions in st-paul, la plaine. I must admit that i don't like holidays and i miss my pupils very much ...
My daughter, 19, could babysit but i imagine that you need an English girl or boy for the job....

christ

Yes
Let´s met on Friday
We are French
See you soon

Noemiallaire wrote:

Yes
Let´s met meet on Friday
We are French
See you soon

I normally don't mind spelling mistakes but i thought you would like to know that you should have put "meet" instead of met!

christ

Congratulations!

lotsofplaces wrote:

We are currently living abroad and are thinking of relocating to Reunion Island. Are there any English Primary and High schools?

Hello,

Lets stick to the current topic at hand ( refer to the quoted post) and avoid making snide comments.

It will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Gavind
Expat.com Team.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : off topic