Just Arrived - Cant register without permanent address - help!

Hello
My name is Roxy, my partner Lee and i just arrived in Amsterdam on Monday. We didnt arrange any permanent accomodation before we left because we are going to move around on holiday until Jan 2nd and we were going to use the hostel as our address.

But we just found out that the city hall will not let us register without a proof of a  permanent address / lease, or letter from owner of flat? The IND wont let me activate my 1 year working holiday visa unless i am registered with city hall and my partner even though he is EU citizen has to register too.

Did anyone else have this problem if so do you have any advice?

We are now urgently looking for a flat or room to rent as my visa needs to be activated immediatly.

Any help would be great
Thanks Roxanne

Welcome to the forum Roxanne

I hope members from Amsterdam will share their "experiences" concerning this issue and advise you accordingly by contributing to your discussion!

For accommodation in Amsterdam, you can also have a look at the Accommodation in Amsterdam page. There are lot of adverts which might interest you.

Good luck :)
All the best

hey !

i'm in the same trouble : I'm french, I landed on the 29th, November. I found a room but the owner don't want me to register and anyway I don't want to stay here.

I have a sofinummer (I love fast dutch administration) and now I am looking for a job. But the employer told me that I will need a health insurance to work and that you can't have a health insurance without a dutch bank account. But you can't have a dutch bank account if you don't have an adress (with registration to the municipality) and if you don't have a contract. And you can't have a contract if you don't have a bank account.....

Good morning,

I am not sure if you have already resolved your accomodation isuue but there are a few other details you should consider, such as, how can I qualify for the 30% ruling?

Feel free to drop me an email [email protected] and I would be happy to help with any questions you may have.

Best regards
Edward van den Bergh

Thanks for the reply's. I have finally managed to sort a lot of things  out now. I now have an apartment, a sofi number and a dutch bank account!
Never thought any of that would ever happen! 

If i had any advice for people coming here it would be you absolutley have to get proof of a permanent address before you arrive otherwise you will  have great difficulty getting any of the other things you need to work.

Have you managed to get a permanent address yet spmallo?

P.S Anyone have any plans for Australia Day?

Roxy

how did u solve ur prob, because im in the same situation.

diiasze wrote:

how did u solve ur prob, because im in the same situation.

Please note that this member has not posted to the forum since 2011. Likely won't get a reply from her. If you're lucky somebody else will reply to help you out.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

thank you