Professional visa

Wondering if anyone has obtained a professional visa. Is it only for those who want to work in Ecuador? I have a master's degree from an approved institution in the US and I speak fluent Spanish.

You do not have to work with the professional visa, but you can work if you want.

I just obtained my professional visa and no you do not have to work or speak Spanish. You never know though they could change the requirements.

If your university isn't on the approved institutions list, does this rule you out from attaining the professional visa?

No, it doesn't.  But it does take about twice the time to register it.  I've been told that it takes about 70 days if it is not on the "approved" list.

I also heard it requires your transcripts.

Yes, it does.  :)

They have to be translated down there to prove that your coursework is equivalent to what  the Ecuadorian requirements are for the same degree. Would think they might not have the same types or as many degrees that are here in the US

I don't mind the extra wait time as long as the possibility is still available to get a visa this way. Thanks for the info!

There's  still a lot of stuff you need to find out. I didn't really pursue it. Joanne probably knows more. Questions to get answers to-does it get issued before you get there on a  tourist visa and mail them sealed copies of transcripts It might be better to actually be there so they don't get  "lost" or sit in a pile of some bureaucrat's office. From what you read here paperwork processing can be difficult even for people who are there and everyone has a different experience. The laws can change without a lot of notice.. Some people get Ecuadorian lawyers who know how and are able to get things through the system better.

My understanding was that you had to have any visa other than the T3 to apply for the professional visa (I'll probably get the 12-IX) which would seem to me that you need to be in the country before you can start the process.

So I imagine I would have to get all the notarized/apostilled/translated/notarized stuff here in the States then get the 12-IX, then get over the SENESCYT to register with all the paperwork. My understanding is that I'll need more than just my degree, I'll need an official copy of my transcripts as well. The biggest concern with the additional time on registering my degree will be the expiration of the police report.

Never pursued it. Looked like a big hassle. I have sufficient income so didn't bother.I really didn't want to work any way which is okay with them.No point in speculating. Best latest info from what you read here on the Forum is that the consulates and embassies tell you one thing and when you get down there it's a completely different story. If you speak Spanish that would be easy. Some people would rather just get a lawyer to deal with the whole thing instead of driving themselves nuts

If your paperwork is not in order  or the person whose line your standing in doesn't think so this could happen. Even down there there are inconsistencies

Oh I don't doubt it! Thanks for all the 'heads up' info. I'll more than likely at least contact a lawyer when we get down there, just to be sure I'm on the right path.

I do have mid-level spanish so hopefully I'll be alright, but sometimes the native speakers are waaaaaaaay ahead of me. I'm hoping to have my mom with us (she's Puerto Rican) for the first few weeks to help alleviate some of that linguistic pain ;)

Sounds like you know the process.  Remember that your degree and transcripts will need to be translated, and it was suggested to me that I wait to get that done until I'm in Ecuador.  As it is, I'm going in on the retirement visa, so there is no need for me to go through the process.

Here's a good link that explains the process:  http://cuencacultureshock.com/201302how … ador-html/

I'm not sure how much (if any) the process has changed, but this will give you an idea of how the process works.

Good Luck!

I found Maite Duran at Gringovisas.com very helpful. I actually hired her to do my paperwork. She is not a lawyer but a facilitator, so this is all she does.

The thing about changes gets mentioned  all the time. The whole thing about them wanting to do the translating down there is because the Spanish is so different. I guess everywhere from Spain to all of Latin America.  Between your mid level Spanish and your Puerto Rican mom you stood do okay.. The only French I can't understand is the Creole/Cajun French in Louisiana

If the degree and transcripts are in English, they do not have to be translated. Mine did not have to be translated and it says that on their website.

All the more reason to find out the latest, best information. When I looked into some time back a translation was required

Exactly, they change (at times) from hour to hour.

:lol:  llife in the 3rd world always interesting. Better to laugh than get aggravated

Everything for your residency visa must be translated- but for Senescyt recently the degree and transcripts did not have to be translated (if it's in English).
My Bachelor's only took 3 months (my university was on the list)- but my doctorate took 1 year and 3 months to be registered. It was not on the list.

Is there any other requirement other then the University should be in the list in the following list
http://www.educacionsuperior.gob.ec/wp- … -1606R.pdf
I mean do we need to have any job offer in order to be eligible for professional visa? Do we need to get the approval of SENESCYT while we are in home country in order to get before I start??

Is there any requirement that the Bachelor degree from the listed Universities should be 4 years? Like the one my spouse has its a 2 years bachelor…. because at the time when she did it that was 2 years instead 3 years!!!!… and she also have the masters degree from the same university which is listed in Professional visa recognised universities!!!!

No, you do not have to have a job or a job offer to get the professional visa. However, your degree has to be approved and registered with Senescyt.

Thanks!! AMYF