Moving to Rua Gomes Freire

Hey,

I'm moving to Rua Gomes Freire in Lisbon in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if anyone could comment on the location i.e. is it a safe area? are there many shops/restaurants nearby? is there easy access to major shopping centres?

It's situated right in between Marques de Pombal and Anjos for anyone who doesn't know

Regards,

Mikey

Hey, Mickey,

I guess, that area is quite nice and central. You should enjoy it.
Major shopping centers are not at the center of the city (Colombo, Vasco Da Gama, FreePort etc.), but communication is easy and convenient.
Speaking of restaurants - it's a lot of those everywhere. Just a bit of exploration work required. :)

D

Hi, Mikey,
You will live one street parallel to mine. The area is very good, as long as you don't go into Anjos during night. Even the main police headquarters is situated in your street. Overall, Lisbon is quite a secure town, even voted in 10 top capitals in the world regarding security and low rate of criminality. You area is called Sao Jorge de Arroios. Within 5-7 minutes walk from your street, you have three shopping malls: Atrium Saldanha, Saldanha Residence and Monumental. There are many restaurants around, especially around Picoas area, which is mainly a business/commercial district. If you go in the opposite direction, you will come across a beautiful park with a few little lakes and ducks. Just google Campo Santana, Lisboa, in case you don't know what I am talking about. Behind it is Jardim Torrel, which has one of the most magnificent views across Lisbon and even a swimming pool on its top (but it works only during August and is for free).
I hope you enjoy it.
Have fun!