Young Australian family moving to KL

Hello!

My husband has just accepted a job in KL, with our move most likely in late November. We are in our early thirties and have a one year old daughter. Safety and health care are my primary concerns. Can anyone give some local advice on the following:

1. What area do you recommend living? We'd like to avoid having a car if possible, and be able to meet other young families and have access to play groups, cafés and shopping.
2. Are there great medical facilities in KL for foreigners?
3. Is KL safe for a mother and child alone?
4. Is public transport efficient?
5. Would be be able to manage without a car by using public transport and taxis?
6. What's the best way to meet other expats?

We've travelled a fair bit in Asia and have lived in Singapore previously, but never been to KL. We are excited about this opportunity, and look forward to hearing from others for advice.

Thanks

It sounds like you would enjoy living right in the center of KL called.KLCC. It is safe,lively and modern. There are lots of high quality childcare options and good lifestyle. LRT at the door to get to Bangsar or Sentral Nu .mall. Forget the suburbs.

Prince court medical center is in KLCC for world class medical services. Join Inte rna tion s.o rg for social events.

Thanks Gravitas!

Despite what is often written there are some very good taxi drivers (especially the modern blue cabs and the gold and cream ones) most of whom use the metre and are knowledgeable good drivers. There is a huge park and lake at the Twin Towers with childrens' climbing frames and every condominium will have a kids corner as well. There is an airconditioned walkway from KLCC Suria Mall to Pavilion Mall so easy to move a pushchair around (the streets aren't always as easy). There is a wide selection of good dining at Pavilion (better than at Suria in my opinion). So lots to do in the KLCC/Bukit Bintang area. No car is needed (driving is rather scary here because of the scores or motorbikes). KLCC is very international (can be a bit crowded a couple of times a year at the height of the tourist season). There is also Avenue K opposite which has just been modernised and reopened. Within a small area there is lots to do and see, and of course it is right next to the KLCC Conference centre, which continually has events and a huge aquarium.