REVERSE CULTURE SHOCK

So, you've been living and working here in Brazil and now it's time to go back home.  Be prepared to experience Reverse Culture Shock and know how to deal with it. Maybe you've only been here for a few months or perhaps you've been here for years, chances are that you will experience Reverse Culture Shock to some degree. Obviously, that all depends on how long you have been here and your adaptation to the Brazilian culture.

To understand Reverse Culture Shock you must understand that it is very real and that in most ways exactly the same as the Culture Shock you experienced when you arrived here. Culture Shock has four phases and three possible outcomes, which I will briefly describe here.

Honeymoon phase – This sets in the moment you arrive, everything is new, different, exciting and beautiful. This phase lasts for the first few months, but like all honeymoons it will eventually come to an end.

Negotiation phase – Usually anywhere from third to sixth month following arrival. This phase is typified by trying to make the mental negotiation between aspects of your old home and culture to your new home and culture.

Adjustment phase – Usually anywhere from six months to one year, this is where you actually have accepted your new culture and start making the adaptations to harmonize it completely with your old culture, traditions and habits.

Mastery phase – This is the phase where you have successfully adapted to your new home and you are integrated into the culture and society, you see yourself and interact with those around you as though you were one of ‘them'.

The three possible outcomes of the adaptation we know as Culture Shock are as follows:

Rejection – This happens when one is completely incapable of accepting and rejects the culture, traditions, ideas, etc., of the host country. These are the ones for whom going back home is the only answer and they usually do so quite quickly. Oddly enough, these ‘Rejectors' are the very same individuals who tend to experience Reverse Culture Shock to a greater degree following repatriation. Nobody can really determine why this is the case.

Adoption – This happens when one adopts all or most of the aspects of their host country's culture and incorporates them into his/her daily life, almost losing all trace of their ‘former' self. These ‘Adopters' generally end up staying in the host country for the rest of their lives.

Blending – This occurs when one accepts most of the aspects of their host country's culture and blends them with aspects of their ‘home' country culture. They become truly cosmopolitan.

Repatriation and Reverse Culture Shock

You will experience all or most of the same phases with Reverse Culture Shock that you went through with Culture Shock upon arrival. It may set in the moment you set foot on home soil or it may strike shortly afterward. You will feel like a ‘foreigner' in your own country – a fish out of water. In order to successfully repatriate and re-integrate into your ‘home' culture you need to understand six things.

You're Different – You are NOT the same person you were before you left home. Your experience has changed you and for that reason you may not be able to simply accept certain aspects of your home culture anymore. Your friends may not be able to accept the changes in you or they've changed in different directions too, so don't just assume you will go right back to the way things were before.

Your ‘Home' Country has Changed - Time moves on and everything changes. No matter how short a period of time you have been away it will never be exactly the same as when you left. Don't expect that or you will be in for a very big letdown. People you know have married, moved away, businesses have changed hands or ceased to exist, familiar locations have been changed to a point where you hardly recognize them anymore. That is usual.

Most People Don't Care About Your Experiences – That's very true in most cases, so save your story telling for your closest friends and don't make every conversation about your travels. Otherwise, your family and friends will become bored quite quickly and begin to avoid you. Don't ‘turn off' your conversations about your experiences completely, just find a suitable balance.

Re-Connect With People and Make New Friends – While it is very important to re-connect with family and old friends, it is equally important to establish new friendships upon repatriation. This keeps the experience ‘new' it helps you not to fall into a boring routine. You will find out shortly after your return home that some old friends have fallen by the wayside, so you need to replace them with new friendships.

Sensory Overload – Be prepared for the barrage of ads, commercials, sounds and sights once you get home. Perhaps you were living in a small town where it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop and you are returning to the hustle and bustle of a big city, or vice versa.

It's Okay to be Confused – You don't have to feel bad about nor do you need to hide your confused feelings for being back home. They are completely natural. You may find that you even dislike certain aspects of your home culture that you were completely comfortable with before or never noticed before. You do not need to feel like a ‘traitor' because you no longer see home as being PERFECT.

Cheers,
William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Thanks so much for this. I think I'm becoming cosmopolitan!
And regarding the Reverse Culture Shock, it is very true too. Been through it!

Hey William

I know you posted your wise comment a while ago but just wanted to say that you brought up a very good and valid point. I had never thought about REVERSE culture shock, as I'm confident very few people had, and when I imagined myself perhaps coming back to visit some friends after I finally made the big move I just saw myself picking up where we had left off. Then again before I came upon this valuable Blog, when I imagined myself moving to Brazil, I simply imagined myself selling the house etcetera, packing my bags and leaving! WOW! Did this Blog make me realize how very much I DIDN'T know!! And thankfully. But getting back to the reverse culture shock, hopefully staying in touch along the way  with old and good friends here in the U.S. will minimize the shock once I make it back.

Dalia

Hi Dalia,

Yes, it's a lot easier to do that nowadays what with Skype, Whatsapp and other programs like that. Keeping in touch with loved ones will help minimize that aspect of Reverse Culture Shock, but nothing is going to stop the clock on CHANGE. When you go back home after any length of time abroad things invariably have changed, the longer away the greater the change. I know that after 13 years here in Brazil if I were to go back to Canada I would hardly recongnize most places that were once so familiar. I'd really feel like a fish out of water.,,

It really is true what you said, most expats don't think about all the factors involved in moving to another country. Many seem to think it's not much more complicated than moving across town to a new house. They are really taken by surprise when the reality sets in. Fewer still give the first thought to repatriation after prolonged periods away. It's often even more stressful than the initial expatriation.

Cheers,
James

Yes, I can understand how the REVERSE shock can be even worse than the initial EXpatriation shock, probably because, when you  EXpatriate, you are ALREADY (or SHOULD be) prepared for some kind of a shock when you go to a foreign country to live. But to COME "HOME" and find that you feel OUT OF PLACE most assuredly must be the worst feeling possible.

Thing is, here in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, area where I live myself, constant change is a NORM, not the exception. For example, if I don't frequent a certain area or place for more than a year, many times once i return fully expecting that place to still be there (like a restaurant, store, etcetera), I am WAY TOO OFTEN very disappointed once I arrive, because Philly is notorious for businesses closing be it because of bankruptcy or being bought out by a competitor or whatever the reason. It's VERY frustrating and disheartening to live in a place like that. The only UP side in this reality is that I at least may end up being a bit more prepared than most once I do move to Brazil and come back for a visit. After all, change HERE IS the CONSTANT.

Acutally Dalia most places are really like that, constantly changing. We tend not to notice it as much because we are changing along with them and/or the changes come about little by little and we accept them with hardly even perceiving them happen.

That gets magnified when we're away. We sometimes forget about that state of constant change so when we go back home, we have this unrealistic expectation or vision, if you will, that things are going to be just as we left them and we can just pick up exactly where we left off. This clearly is not the case and we find ourselves surprised by the sad reality. Sometimes, especially in the case of longer absences, some people can find the change extremely difficult if not impossible to adapt too.

Hey again, my friend

Yes, I know constant change is a fact of life, but it's also true that SOME places (like Philly area) change much more quickly and often than others.And that's the whole point about Philadelphia area that I was making, being that the changes here are not "subtle" or "little by little."

My Mom and Dad lived in New York City in the late-1950s before I was born, but after I was born and we all moved here to Philly from Cuba, we would drive into New York to spend the day often while I was growing up and even into my 20s and 30s, and I remember my Mom always said that she loved goign back to New York because even though she hadn't lived there for years, she always found not much changed (in the actual CITY, that is, because when we decided to visit their "old neighborhood" of Queens one day, now THAT was a shock and even depressing for her) and that was always comforting for her. Meanwhile, she hates how ew have LIVED in the Philadelphia area since I was 3 years old (I'm now 54) yet as she puts it she feels "lost" here because, like I said, it's not just about changing, but it changes SO FAST and SO OFTEN.

Meanwhile, here in Philly, if there's a restaurant i really like, for example, and therefore I want to recommend it to a friend or even want to take them there myself, I have learned to always CALL FIRST to see if they are even STLL THERE if I have not been there in more than a year!

I just saw this recent article I though it would be a good add here

Repatriation Blues: Expats Struggle With the Dark Side of Coming Home

http://blogs.wsj.com/expat/2015/04/15/r … p_1=140188

Interesting article. Seems that Wall Street is finally catching on to something we've known here at Expat-blog for quite some time now. Better late than never I guess.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Cheers,
James