Single Status without Birth Certificate for Brazil Marriage

Dear William James(wjwoodward),
Good Day. Hope you are fine.

I liked your good suggestions on this blog and you are helping many people.

I am a full time Social Worker & Motivator, core experience is with Children since 19 years. Recently i have married a Brazil Woman from Limeira(Sao Paulo State). We have registered marriage and got attestation from Government of Telangana and Ministry of External Affairs. We are planning to register marriage at Brazil Embassy, New Delhi. As per Brazil rules, i need to submit my Birth Certificate to prove my marital status. Unfortunately i do not have a Birth Certificate(as i was born in 1965). I was born in Warangal City, Telangana State. As it is hard to trace out 45 years+ records of Birth. 
I am divorced in 2008 and i have court decree with me. And I have not married since then. Do i need to take an Affidavit of - 'Single Status Statutory Declaration'/'Certificate of No Impediment'. Kindly let me know a legal way or valid alternative so that i can produce at Brazil Embassy. Your experience and knowledge will help me greatly.

With Regards,

Anil

Well I'm not aware of any different rules for registering foreign marriages at Brazilian Consulate that may or may not be being used in India than there are in other countries, but you shouldn't need to provide the Consulate ANYTHING other than a certified copy of your Marriage Certificate and your (government) Identification Card.

If you are legally married, then the Brazilian government pretty much has to accept your Marriage Certiicate at face value. Why would you need to provide a "single certificate" to them the place you need to do that is for the marriage itself, not for the registration with the Consulate.

If they've given you a list of documents you must provide I would be very interested in seeing it, since it appears to be completely different from what my understanding of the process is elsewhere.

If you were married and divorced, then the divorce decree is all that is necessary.

See the following topic thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=376293

Dear William James,

Good Day. Thank you very much for prompt reply and clarifications.
I very much agree with you. Yes, a Marriage Certificate is a legal document. Obviously a man or a woman have to produce marital status document to the Marriage Registration Office.
I was told by my wife that - when a Brazilian Man or Woman is married, they have to surrender their 'Birth Certificate' and in return they will receive 'Marriage Certificate'. So, whoever has a Birth Certificate they are considered 'Single' and whoever does not have Birth Certificate they are 'Married'. In India this is rule is not there. Actually my original 'Date of Birth' is mentioned in all Government Documents including my Passport. It is very hard to get a Birth Certificate now, as the concerned hospital/office might have moved the old registers to trash. On Monday i will call the Brazilian Embassy and find a solution. I will surely share with you what they suggest or say

Actually what your wife was talking about, either she doesn't understand well or you didn't understand well about the Marriage Certificate here in Brazil..... it really only effects women.

For a woman, once married all of her documents change. She even needs to apply for a new Registro Geral and since legally the Marriage Certificate is "superior" to the Birth Certificate all of HER future documents refer back to the Marriage Certificate as the "Originating Document" upon which this new document is based. So a woman's Registro Geral will show "CN xxxxxx" as the document number on her RG if single. Once married the new RG will show "CC xxxxxx"  instead. The CN means Certidão de Nascimento (Birth Cert.) and the CC means Certidão de Casamento (Marriage Cert.). Funny system really!