Moving to Jakarta . school, location...

Hi everyone,

I've been surfing quite a lot the "Expat.com" and managed to get few bits of information !
My partner, son (3) and I will be moving to Jakarta by the end of the yearif possible in September.
I've got some many questionsi do not know where to start

We will come over for a week or so in July and have a look at the different areas where we could possibly live.
I believe Kemang, Cipete, Pondok Indahare the names I've seen the mostwhat about Gandaria ?

What about school now  LIF or JIS ?
we're French but were in the UK beforeI believe it will all depends where we will be based !?

Rentingflat or houses ?
Visas.My husband will be working but what about mecan I do some charity work ? work as an employee (I used to be customer service manager in the UK) ?

Anyway, if anyone can help or give me some advice/information

I'm so excited to come to Jakarta but I need to focus !!
Thanks a lot !
Elodie

Hi Eplasse?

JIS has recent problems involving pedophiles and running a kindergarten without a license.

Regards,

The above is true and it'll likely leave JIS in a weak position as far as the next school year goes.
As for school, work and where to live, all as close as possible to each other.

Jakarta traffic is a killer.

NO work is allowed without a work permit.

JIS is actually shut down, they continued the school till June or July.
New Zealand international school is pretty good too, you can google it.
About the accommodation, you should look in the area where your husband will be working at. The closer the better, knowing traffic here is a bit mad..
Kemang is a nice neighborhood, but traffic there is crazy, especially on the weekend.
Perhaps you could google Kuningan area.

Goodluck!

JIS shut down??.....its the kindergarten due to missing license but not the school.

The comments on Kemang are right but I personally would not consider Kuningan since traffic is worse.

But it's correct one should look for a place to stay convenient to the office and also to the kindergarten you choose

Yes, I meant the Kindergarten.

happyhour wrote:

JIS shut down??.....its the kindergarten due to missing license but not the school.

The comments on Kemang are right but I personally would not consider Kuningan since traffic is worse.

But it's correct one should look for a place to stay convenient to the office and also to the kindergarten you choose

Kemang is narrow over built and dreary most of the time but Kuningan has more open space especially around Rasuna.
Gandaria is full of traffic always and it  will get worse when all the apartments are finished but it is a nice spot and not too far from most areas.

Schools, well as you said it depends on location but most schools will be ending soon for the hoildays and will term will start either the middle of July or beginning of August but that depends on the school. I am sure if let the members know the area you will move too they will give you more specific help.

If am not mistaken, I  think LIF has a kindergaten school and it is in cipete, why don't you live in Cipete for a while, and then decide if you want to move elsewhere ? Cipete is close to Kemang, Pondok Indah and JIS :) . if you haven't got the address of LIF, here it is: 

Lycée International Français Louis-Charles Damais
Jl. Cipete Dalam N°32

Tél : +62-21 750 30 62
Fax: +62-21 750 36 24

Good Luck !

Oh, there is also High/scope on Jl. Simatupang,Cilandak

JIS will only lose its KG but its reputation is in the toilet.
I suspect their numbers this year will be well down.

I believe so too...

There will be more to come, the whole thing is not over yet

luiszabalajr_lspr wrote:

How old are the kids specifically? If youre looking for college, I suggest to take a look at London School of Public Relations which now offers 100% English for its Bachelor Degree - PR. :one

I should ask, do you have any interests in that school?