Looking at a move to Bahrain

Hi all,
I am currently looking at moving to Bahrain with my husband and 2 children, aged 5 & 10.
If anyone has any experiences of Bahrain, moving from the UK or anything they feel may be useful, please share, I would love to get as many different views & experiences as possible.
Thank you in advance  :)

Welcome to the forum. There should be folks here who can help answer your questions.

Good luck

Bob K

Hello Loopyloo and welcome to Expat.com :)

Your topic is now on the Bahrain forum for more visibility.

Thanks

Priscilla

I think the first thing I would recommend is looking at schools!  There are a number in Bahrain but many are full with waiting lists!

My son (Year 2) and I are currently in the UK (and my husband in Bahrain) while we wait for a school place for him at one of those we have applied to in Bahrain (He has completed and passed his tests!).  He is in a very good village school here and we don't want to move him into a school just to move him very quickly again! 

There is a thread with a list of things to bring with you when you make the move which I will try and find and link to here!  Main thing most agreed on was decent towels and sheets (My luggage has had John Lewis things in it on each visit so far!!!  :D ).

HTH

S

Thank you for the 'welcomes'

Thanks MT, have you been waiting long for a school place so far? And what schools are you on the waiting list for?
If you could find that link, it would be great. Like I said before, any info, help, advice all greatly appreciated!

Here is that thread I mentioned:
What should I ship?

Hope it helps

S

Most of the schools are full here now and the waiting lists long. Get emailing them straight away if your move is a certainty. Some families have the husband come first to work and the families follow once a place is available. Your relocation company will tell you what you cannot ship but you can get virtually everything here that you can back home and if not you take an alternative.

Thank you, that's really helpful.

Other than St Chris & BSB, what other schools have people have experience with? I have emailed both mentioned, but only heard back from St Christopher's so far, but like you said the schools are so full, would like to open up my other options but haven't really heard anything about any other schools.

Try Riffa Views and Amwaj schools. There is a government website for schools too - http://www.moe.gov.bh/en/websites.aspx#.VDaschYhB_U

I work for a relocation company but I'm not here to sell their services but I can offer constructive advice regarding your move. PM me if you have any questions

Thanks Jo, I'm sure I will have loads of questions. At the moment I'm trying to weigh everything up & make sure it's the right move for us, and schools are obviously a priority. Did you experience a huge culture shock when you arrived?