Cost of an upper middle class lifestyle in Playa or Cancun

I understand that there are many variables involved so exact numbers will be impossible, but what amount of money monthly would allow a US expat couple to live a comparable upper middle class lifestyle in Playa or Cancun very close to or on the beach. Would $5000/mo be adequate?

Hi I have read your advertisement here in Expatblog You Might send me information about the cost of upper middle class living in Cancun. For your answer. Thank you
Martha ;)

As a new member, I'm confused about your message. The OP was an advertisement? Again, I'm new. What was he advertising, or was there another post I haven't seen? Thanks.

Hi I think this amount of $ 5,000.00 for Mexicans living in Cancun is decent and does not seem expensive, try pesos ;)

You should be able to manage something for that amount and in that area. We spend about $2,500 to $3,000 average and we live in a more expensive area north of the Yucatan. That much income should give you the flexibility needed for the occasional increased expense. In that area air conditioning and electric bills will be one of your biggest costs as it is for us.

Thank you. I think you are the first person that actually understood my post. Obviously, I was not clear enough. We would like to move to Playa and use about $5000 to $6000 USD a month for living. We would like to be on the beach or very very close.

I think people are misunderstanding my post. There was no advertisement. It was a question.

Right now we live in a huge house which we are ready to downsize big time and our electric bill can run $600-$700 in Aug. we are wanting to get a house around 2000sqft and hope to keep the elec. bill $200-$300 a month. Is that realistic? We have a beach house in South Padre Island, TX so we know what hot and humid is.

People who are in the upper middle class don't worry about the cost.

True! I'm just trying to get a handle on what my family will need in order to live the same lifestyle we do in the US in Playa. I am a wanting to retire early. If we can live a upper middle class lifestyle on little less than half our investment income then we could continue to reinvest the other half and VOILA! Upper middle class in a tropical place with excellwnt culture, food, scenery, adventure, weather AND beach. If it takes 3/4 of our investment income...well at 42 yrs old we may find ourselves in a bit of a quandary in 20 yrs. Might need to wait a little longer and save up more moolah.

5,000 to 6,000 usd would work nicely. This also would cover the income requirements for a Residente Permanente permit for both of you. Currently that is around 68,000 to 82,000 pesos. If you rent, a real nice place would be around 15,000 to 20,000 pesos per month. Rent before you buy. Remember, the market is different.

I think you can do fine on 5000 a month.  Upper middle class rent can be 2000 or more, but food is cheap.  Eating out and entertainment are as expensive here as in the US.  But there are free things to do. Gas is expensive - bring a small car or buy one here.

Just a small side note: Residente Permanente can not have a car with foreign plates while a Residente Temporal can bring in a car with foreign plates.

Hello my name is Gisela and I'm from Mexico living in Florida soon I am going to move to Scotland. :)
Definitely you will be leaving a GREAT life with that money near the beach or by the beach. I am sure what is going to be more expensive for you is rent or mortgage, depends if you are looking to rent or purchase a property (rents are around $800 to $1000 per month upper middle-class Centro or one of the residential areas of Cancun) and if   you wanted to live a rockstar lifestyle in the Hotel Zone you could easily spend 3-4k a month. The rest is inexpensive comparing with USA. That will give an idea of the leaving cost in Cancun. I hope it will help you. Good luck to you :)
By the way those costs includes utilities and food. (in average)...A life of a king :)