Moving to Rome

Hello there,
I'm moving to Rome by the end of this year,
Any advices, are welcome, regarding lifestyle, culture, food, nightlife, schools, socializing activities, transportations, moving around,
And I would like to know which is the good area to live in Rome not far from the centre or any metro station.
Thanks in advance

hi Rome is very  beautiful.. people are kind and beautiful.  ull like it,

Thank you for your comment,

About where to stay... It definitely depends on how much you are willing to pay. There are beautiful residential neighbourhoods, not far from the city center and very well connected to the rest of the city (I am thinking about Monteverde, Ostiense, Quartiere Coppedè) but rates can be very high. Anyway I would definitely avoid the city center itself, since living there is a nightmare: always loud and crowded and with an absurdly high cost of living.
Hope this helped, cheers!

- Enrico from Kappa Language School

Benounasma wrote:

Hello there,
I'm moving to Rome by the end of this year,
Any advices, are welcome, regarding lifestyle, culture, food, nightlife, schools, socializing activities, transportations, moving around,
And I would like to know which is the good area to live in Rome not far from the centre or any metro station.
Thanks in advance

Hello.
Regarding the lifestyle and culture, there are probably too many things to mention, and my opinion would be only one of the countless possible opinions, not necessarily the truth (this applies to any opinion, of course).
Regarding food and socializing, the two things tend to go hand-in-hand, meaning that for most Romans (and Italians in general), eating is not about fulfilling a biologic need to survive, and it is more about spending time with friends, family or acquaintances, chatting and enjoying a meal. Most dates are at meal times, typically aperitivo or cena ("dinner"). Breakfast is quite a small meal (traditionally, just a coffee or a cappuccino and a croissant) and it is often enjoyed in a very short time, usually standing at the bar. Lunch and dinner are more elaborated, especially dinner. That's on working days: holiday meals are another story and people tend to eat a lot more and spend a lot more time at the table.
Nightlife offers a bit of anything, depending on your personal taste and interests: concerts, dancing and so on are common activities, but thanks to the climate (quite mild for most of the year), people like to have walks in the central districts or enjoy wine and food (again!) at wine-bars and cafes.
Transportations are not too bad, depending on where you live and where you need to go. Most districts are well-linked to the central areas of town, but there are certain areas that can be a problem to reach, especially at night. Rome doesn't have a very good tube system (only two lines, at the moment, with a third one hopefully ready in some years from now), but there are many bus and tram lines, and some "urban trains" too. Cabs can be quite expensive in comparison to most cities, and it is not too uncommon for a foreigner to be swindled by some dishonest cab driver. Not all of them are out to swindle you, but some of them are, so be careful to get information before you use a cab. And beware "unofficial" cabs (illegal): you would spend a lot more, and safety might be an issue too.
Regarding the best areas to live, it all depends on your particular case: if you are on a limited budget, you will probably have to avoid the more central areas of town and opt for semi-central areas like Monteverde or Ostiense, just to say two areas that are not too far from the center and where the cost of living is quite reasonable.
For a small apartment in such areas, prices can range between 800 and 1200 EUR/Month, but you can rent a room for 500/600 EUR / month (living with flatmates is very common in Rome, due to the high cost of properties).
If you need more details on any of those topics, feel free to contact me.