Probably Impossible !!!

I have a French bulldog that cannot fly. I would love to be able to move to ecuador but I could not do it without him.
Has anyone moved to Ecuador from the USA with a pet that did not involve flying?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello fowler and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be given some replies.;)

Harmonie.

hi

A very interesting forum, im moving to quito on the 19th march 2012, in another few days time, we are lucky that out dog has a passport.

i think you need to check with various airlines and if not then try pet couriers or by sea, i know for a fact there is transportation by sea for pets, as there are special companies for that.

please search on google, it will help.

good luck

Allen

please read the information from continental airlines.

Does airline allow pets as cargo: Yes
Does airline have an embargo: Yes
American Pit Bull Terriers (Pit Bulls, Pit Bull Terriers)
Continental Airlines will accept American Pit Bull Terrier puppies which are between 8 weeks and 6 months of age provided they do not weigh more than 20 lbs. All American Pit Bull Terriers more than 6 months old or weighing more than 20lbs. will be refused. This embargo does not apply to American Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or Miniature Bull Terriers. Crossbreeds with American Pit Bull Terriers are also excluded from this embargo. The purpose of this embargo is due to the aggressiveness of the breed and the danger presented to our aircraft and our customers.
Bulldogs
Continental Airlines has embargoed the transport of French Bulldogs, English Bulldogs and Bulldogs for the period May 15 – Sept 15, 2005. These animals are embargoed as they are especially susceptible to high heat, high humidity and stress. Anyone of these factors can be fatal and summer months bring on all 3 of these conditions and are nearly impossible to protect against. Thus in the interest of these animals €™s safety, we will not carry them during this time period.
Embargo for Continental Express Jets
Due to heating limitations, Continental cannot transport pets on the Embraer Regional Jets (ERJ and SRJ) operated by Continental Express.

Embargo dates: Continuous

Very interesting problem, I didn't know this kind of restrictions
exist.

Did you try to contact with ecuadorian airlanes like Lan Ecuador or Aerogal??

The other options are by land or sea. By sea, departure New York, it would take like 10-15 days and then who is going to take care of the dog while it stays in port? And what kind of customs clearance it will need?
By land maybe it takes less days but the dog has to cross like 6 countries, what about the tramits, transits, passports??

I think is really complicated and stresful for the dog.

Vinny

The main problem is the vet says that it is not safe for him to fly because of his breed.
I really do not think its possible without driving. Which is just not an option for us.

Let me find out, I know a guy in Quito who works with dogs and he used to bring dogs from the states.

How old is your dog??  And the weight??

Vinny

5 years old and 35lbs.
All help is greatly appreciated
thank you

Hello,

I talked to my friend and he told me he used to flight from the US with many bulldogs and never had a problem. Temperature and general conditions in planes didn't change during the fligh, but when they open the cargo gates, sometimes the extreme humidity or heat come inside the planes, but it only happpends in cities like Guayaquil, not in Quito, Bogota or Cuenca.

As I told you, check with ecuadorian airlines and the transits.

Good Luck
Vinny

Hi Fowler,

It is awful to hear stories of people having trouble with their dog solely based on their breed :(  It breaks my heart as I know how attached one can become to a dog.

I hope you figure out your situation in a timely fashion and it works out for you and your companion!

I am moving to Gualaceo in March and will be bringing both my French Bulldogs. Not real sure how to get both there but I WILL. I am sure there is a pet transport somewhere that can fly these little guys. I have  read their rules re this breed of dog and I plan on calling them next week to find a solution.
Don' t give up there is a way to get there with our dogs.
Susan B

You said :
" I have  French Bulldog that cannot fly"

Well, I have a German Shephard, and while he CAN fly, he has a hell-uv-a-time with his landing's!!!!!

Sorry, I know this is a serious topic for you, and when I saw the original post, I held back. But.... when I saw it re- activated, I had to laugh again at how it was phrased. Guess this explains why I had to sit out in the hall so much in my early years in school.
Good Luck
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

You said :
Well, I have a German Shephard, and while he CAN fly, he has a hell-uv-a-time with his landing's!!!!!
Neil

Your German Shephard trained in the same Flight School as the 9/11 pilots?

On a more serious note, there are pet shipping companies that will take a dog by ship and also look after him/her in transit. But the best solution is to book your self by ship and take the dog along in your cabin. I used to live on an Island a long time back and used to regularly travel with my Cat by ship carrying her in a cage with me. Only, book a cabin, not a dormitory.

" I have  French Bulldog that cannot fly"

I am with you ZenSPIKE, I thought jeez, breeding has gone to a whole different level now French bulldogs are made to fly! then I thought..oh, wait..I get it now...how insensitive.. I am.. poor guy.

I understand, I am positive there must be a way. Look for flights from a rather mild-cold departure city and make it Cuenca or Quito your final destination, there shouldnt be a problem. Good luck

I've had several dogs that couldn't fly, much less keep up with the plane. Cheers

:cool: We flew earlier this year on COPA.  They were very helpful and accommodating our service dogs that are large.  One was 165 lbs, the other 90lbs.  We also traveled with 3 cats.  A group of friends carried our three Sherpa carriers which had the cats in them.  Our two dogs laid at our feet throughout the flight.  We had no trouble at the Ecuador side.  I did call 48 hours in advance and alert to our arrival.  We needed the vets certificate for export, the USdA certificate and that's it.  We had no problems on the Ecuador side.  We arrived late with 21 checked bags.  In the US was where we had the issues.  Made us take the cats out of carriers, walk through xray independently, carriers separate.  The idiots at LAX even made us take off the service vests, leashes and collars.  We had bought service dog tags and papers even though our vet papers said they were service animals.  I did make folders for each animal to facilitate things.  All in all, no problems with the animals on board.  We withheld food and water before the flight, and opted to feed on exit of the final flight.  The atmosphere in the plane was fine.  People flying to this area were generally very accommodating and only one person had a big mouth and was stupid.  When we showed the service papers they shut up.  :-). No problems since we got here.  I opt for cooking most of my animal food.  Purina, And other name brands here are crap.  Filled with corn and soy.  No protein of note.  To get a big bag of stuff not bad is highway robbery.  About $118 per 30 lb bag.  Take note:  Nestlé, Purina, etc import most food here from Chile which is high in GMO.  Buy local, and imported stuff only from non GMO countries and you'll be surprised how fast you loose weight here.
My only whimper is it is hard to find good cheddar or jack cheese.  And I want to buy 100% Italian  olive oil in bulk.  Haven't figured that out yet.  You can find everything you can find stateside here.  Baking Soda takes work to find because some imbecile decided it could be mistaken for drugs!  That's all folks.

I'll add you can not fly with animals between late June and early November.  Avoid United and their "pet dead" program like the plague.
Most people slam the animals that run free here.  The people have a different attitude and let their pets out.  Frankly I am amazed to see animals return home at the end of a day, use crosswalks when other people walk and generally be kind pleasant animals.  I have not been afraid of any animals here including pit bulls.  The dogs all seem to be happyx10 with this freedom.  I have only seen one animal dead on the road.  For the many dogs I see each day this is a testament.  I take mine out on leash and we have no issues.

Hello Bloodmoon and welcome to Expat.com

Thank you for your contribution on this thread, however please note that the latter is inactive since 2012!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

kenjee wrote:

Hello Bloodmoon and welcome to Expat.com

Thank you for your contribution on this thread, however please note that the latter is inactive since 2012!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Perhaps this is proof, then, that old threads never die...especially ones with an intriguing name like this one has and which thread began (in 2012) with the immortal words:
        "I have a French bulldog that cannot fly."

Thank you, Expat.com Team, for keeping these older threads alive for new readers.

cccmedia wrote:

Perhaps this is proof, then, that old threads never die...especially ones with an intriguing name like this one has and which thread began (in 2012) with the immortal words:
        "I have a French bulldog that cannot fly.

:top:  Nice catch ccmedia. I had a good laugh.

Hi I need to fly french bulldog from nyc to quito
Help!

bklyn12 wrote:

I need to fly french bulldog from nyc to quito
Help!

Ah, yes, Top Cat and I well remember this thread, the one that began in 2012 with the immortal words:  "I have a French bulldog that cannot fly."

The thread that gets revived once a year when someone absolutely has to get a bulldog to Ecuador.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Have you checked out COPA airlines flights, possibly at www.cheapoair.com ?  Poster Bloodmoon had success with them in late 2014.  See Report 16 above in this thread.

Or perhaps a pet courier such as www.pet-express.com ?

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks! I will check it out and report back

Keep in mind that flying bulldogs around is not a year-round venture for COPA or any other airlines that may engage in such activity.

We learned earlier on this thread, in Report #4, that these animals are sensitive to heat.  So starting sometime around late May or June, there's a cutoff for several months. 

If you can't beat that cutoff, Fido may have to chill in an air-conditioned apartment in Brooklyn, New York, until September or October.

cccmedia in Quito

Got it, thanks

Mine is a 5yr old Rottweiler. Would I be able to bring him?

Thanks

Yes you should be able to
Call airline directly or check their website
I found that non US airlines forward calls about pets to spanish speaking only hotline