US$800/month

Hey everybody,

I am planning on moving to Montevideo in June of 2011. I will have be arriving with around 10k and a guaranteed income of $800 a month. (I am a certified English teacher so I plan on teaching English as well.) However, say I can't get a job will I be able to live in a one bedroom apartment, safe area, and going out a couple of nights a week on this income? I rarely drink alcohol and prefer pubs/lounges to clubs in terms of entertainment and can go without cable, since I have a laptop. Thanks for any info.

Hi A90, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be give you information about life in Montevideo.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi. Well, of course it depends on what kind of lifestyle are you planning to have. $800 dollars a month is roughly an average middle class income here, so you can perfectly live with that money. But mind you, you won't be able to afford many "luxuries".

For example renting a one bedroom apartment in a safe area costs from about $300 a month.

Eating out is cheap. With $10 you'll get a good meal in a restaurant.

Transport is expensive (bus fare ~$1).

As a followup to this question, I am considering a move from Costa Rico to Colonia this year and seek an inexpensive 1-BR furnished apartment need the ocean. Is there someplace such apartments would be listed online or do I need to have boots on the ground to find one?

Probably it's easier if you do it there but you can try searching in:

apartamentos.com.uy/
casas.com.uy/
inmuebles.mercadolibre.com.uy/
inmueblescolonia.com/
coloniadesacramento.evisos.com.uy/alquiler-inmuebles/

thank you. I will try those links.

Hi A90: I agree with Juanso than the average income is about 800$ but I don't agree with the price of the rents. My brother rented (this month) an small apartment for $300 but he searched for a long time because the prices are really high( and the area is really cool for us, but for an expat I'm not sure)..I think 450-500$ for the rent are more realistic in a "safe area"
I think you really will need your extra-income of your English courses.
We live in Canada but we visited Uruguay and we stayed for 3 months (december to March 2011) and, ay ay, I was badly surprised of the prices.
(Sorry for my English, here we talk in French)

Kanderberg: When we rented this year in Uruguay, we search in Mercardo Libre:
inmuebles.mercadolibre.com.uy/

Hi,
I am considering a move by September, and was wondering if the apartments and real estate prices might be better further inland, in a small town rather than the city?  Thank you for whatever information you can share.

Hi A90!

Did your move to Uruguay work out? Thanks.

Hello TheOmegaMan

Thank you for your participation on this thread, however kindly note that A90 is inactive on the forum since 2010!

This thread is over 3 years old!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team