Need To Rent a House

I am from the U.S. A. currently living in Portugal, looking to move to Cabo Verde...to an island with an airport. I want to live in a local neighborhood, with locals. I speak a little Spanish and Portuguese and own my own busines. Need reliable internet access, an ocean view and a short walk to the beach. Don't want to pay a lot for rent...need local rates. I have a home in Sesimbra Portugal, ocean view 6 minutes by car to the beach.

HI 1World Traveler,

I invite you to post an advert in the Houses for rent in Cape Verde section please :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Thank you

Hello there
I live in Cape Verde and am a student at the University of Cape Verde
well cape verde has lots of local places where you can live and are not really in town, a little bit far away up the green beautiful mountains, and of course sea view,
you can get an apartment 200dollars per month  with all furniture in it, light and water... but this you have to go through the right people, or they will consider you as a rich tourist and charge you more.
then in town, beautiful sea view, neighbor hood  of mostly American, Brazilians, French, English...
go for 500dollars without water and light bills
but if you are truly ready to move down, i can do you the favor,
contact me, i know couple of nice people who own houses and can make you a good price

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

How are you doing?  I'm new to this forum but I am definitely interested in what you posted.  I am currently living in the US but I am looking to move in the next few years.  Sounds like you have the connections that will help me make a smoother transition to life in CV.

Hi there,

To whom are you speaking? The previous posts on this topic are over SIX YEARS OLD! The person who made the post is no longer living in CV. They migrated to the USA because they were so knowlegable about CV and ejoyed it so much. LOL. And the prices quoted are no longer current.

The description given was also slightly misleading ... seeing the ocean from a cheap apartment on a higher floor (no elevators) of a building that is several miles away from the ocean is not exactly what I would call "a nice place with an ocean view." If you are looking for a relatively cheap unit, you will be in the suburbs and quite a distance from the ocean. If you want to be a stone's throw away from the ocean with a nice view of it, you will pay a hefty premium.  Mind you, it still won't be beachfront property. That's a whole different style of living.

If you ignore the whole "ocean view" distraction, you will pay around $250 for a comfortable unfurnished 2-bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood, close to the public transport routes. If you want o pay less than this, you will need to either go with a 1-bedroom or studio unit, or you may need to select a neighborhood that is noisy, etc. If you want a furnished apartment, you will pay a premium of about $50-100 per month (depending on number of bedrooms) and you will also be required to pay a security deposit of 1 month's rent. Utilities are extra (i.e., not included in the rent). You do not want the utilties to be included because the building owner will sometimes shut off the water or electricity if they think you are using too much and sticking them with a hefty bill.

These prices are based on what's typically available in 2020 in Praia. The rental costs, availability and choices of quality of accommodations and types of neighborhoods will certainly vary by island. So will availability of jobs and potential for business. Praia, which is the capital, offers the widest range of choices and the best potential for business (outside of tourism). For engaging with tourists you would be best off in the island of Sal where you will find 45-50% of the tourists who visit Cape Verde (but the cost of living in Sal is going to be the highest of all the islands).

Just to help you put things in perspective, in Praia, you can live a spartan but reasonably comfortable lifestyle on a tight budget of $500 per month including rent, utilities, food, transport plus internet with very little extra for entertainment. If you want to live in greater comfort, with more space in a better neighborhood, more dining out and entertainment, count on spending about $750 per month. If you want to like in the best neigborhood, plus with lots of toys and goodies, extra bedrooms for a home office and for visiting family/friends, mostly dining out, lots of taxis instead of public transport, plus inter-island travel, you'll need about $1,000 per month. Of course, you will need to find a job or start a business to sustain yourself regardless oflifestyle.

If you are thinking of moving to CV, I can certainly help you with finding an apartment, etc, that fits your desired lifestyle. I have been active on this forum helping people for 9 years. I have written a 28-page eGuide that explains everything an expat needs to know about living and working in CV. This information is extremely important for easily assimilating into the lifestyle in CV that matches your budget. Remember the longer you wait to make your move, the higher the prices will increase with inflation.

Contact me via private chat to discuss your specific questions.

Best regards,

Angelo

Livramento24 wrote:

How are you doing?  I'm new to this forum but I am definitely interested in what you posted.  I am currently living in the US but I am looking to move in the next few years.  Sounds like you have the connections that will help me make a smoother transition to life in CV.

I will thank you

Hi again,

What's your first name? I gather your surname is Livramento.

It's interesting. It's possible that there's a Rua Livramento here, but I'm not aware of it. However, most streets in Praia, and in general in CV, don't have marked names. We go by landmarks instead of street addresses. I have no idea what is the name of the street I live on. I just say, "the green building on the street where grocery store XYZ is located". Everyone knows grocery store XYZ so they easily find me within plus or minus 2 buildings. That's close enough. Taxi drivers know the landmarks well. That's how we roll. Now, it's quite possble that such a street may exist, but you'd have to check Google maps to find street names. Funny how Google knows the street names but no-one living here knows them. LOL.

By the way, keep in mind that this is Africa and we're pretty living in 3rd world conditions across CV. So be sure to set your expectations appropriately because a lot of the things people take for granted in the US and Europe, you won't get them here. Many CV immigrants and descendants have come from foreign lands. And many have returned from whence they came.

It's no walk in the park. But if you have your expectations tempered and you are patient and able to tolerate the intense bureaucracy and lethargic pace of life, you can enjoy life here. For example, salaries here are much lower than in developed countries. The average salary is $200 a month. A well paid professional with lots of experience might earn $800-1,000 monthly. Can you deal with that?

I've been here almost 15 years and I'm older and wiser now, plus much more patient than I was in my youth. And instead of working a 9-5 job, I simply started my own consulting business. So I am able to happily live here even though I don't have any sources of guaranteed/fixed income. I am able to survive comfortably at a much lower standard of living than I did in the US. I find that I'm happier with fewer material trappings and I enjoy life more fully than I did back in the US. In other words, I had a lot of material wealth in the US but not necessarily the time or peace of mind to truly enjoy the simpler things in life. I am able to strike a much better balance here.

I suspect it would be more challenging for younger people ... but if you are prepared to adapt to the pace and culture and if you don't need to have all the latest toys and gadgets or you don't need to live in the lap of luxury, you can be quite happy living here long term.

Feel free to stay in touch. The eGuide is very helpful in terms of explaining what it's like to live here, how to take maximum advantage of what CV has to offer without making big mistakes, and in setting appropriate expectations for life in these peaceful islands.

Cheers,

Angelo

Livramento24 wrote:

Yes, I plan on moving there in 2 years.  Funny you mentioned Praia, because it turns out that that is the island I was really looking to move to.  Apparently there is a Livramento Street over there, which happens to be my mothers last name.  I'm looking to build bonds and forge relationships that will help our people as a whole. I grew up in America and all of these capitalistic/individualistic ideologies are getting old.

First off my name is Ron.  My mother is the cape verdean one so thats not my last name. Second, Id definitely say that mentally I am at the point where vanity and all this western extravagance is not at the top of my priority list. I've graduated from University of Mass: Dartmouth with a business management degree and I'm looking to intergrate that into whatever I end up pursuing business wise for a job

Hi Ron,

Yes, you clearly seem mentally and professionally prepared for such a move.

Cheers,

Angelo

Livramento24 wrote:

First off my name is Ron.  My mother is the cape verdean one so thats not my last name. Second, Id definitely say that mentally I am at the point where vanity and all this western extravagance is not at the top of my priority list. I've graduated from University of Mass: Dartmouth with a business management degree and I'm looking to intergrate that into whatever I end up pursuing business wise for a job

Hello and good morning, My name is Joshua and im planning coming over to Cape VERDE with my family this month end. I would appreciate if anyone can help me with a gated house of 3 bedrooms at least. Thanks

What do you mean by a "gated" house? 95% of the properties here are apartments set within apartment buildings. If you are looking for an exclusive type of property to rent, there are only very few of those and they will be at least €2-3,000 per month!

What island are you coming to? Such properties for rent only exist in Praia, on the island of Santiago. There are private houses on several islands, but I don't see any for rent (maybe on AirBNB).

Without additional information, there's not much more help that I can offer. Otherwise, you can check the IMOR website.

Regards,

Angelo

Olayinka Joshua wrote:

Hello and good morning, My name is Joshua and im planning coming over to Cape VERDE with my family this month end. I would appreciate if anyone can help me with a gated house of 3 bedrooms at least. Thanks