Where to move in Costa Rica?

Interested in moving to CR. I prefer cool and nature, but also love beaches.  Not into the party scene, although food and markets need to be with in a bus ride. I am trying to stay under 1000us a month. I am a writer and need internet, and preferably an american tv channel or two.

I love hiking, animals, nature, scenery, etc. 

What are some reputable sites to find a long term rental and where should I be looking.

Living here for under $1000 may prove to be difficult.There are also legal and financial requirements if you are intending to stay, 'long term'.

Cool climes and abundant nature is my thing too. I started out at the beach on the Nicoya Pennisula and realized quickly that, FOR ME, it was a great place to visit but I was just not cut out for the heat so I headed for the hills and have been super happy with my choice.

I agree with kohlerias, depending on where you choose to live and what your lifestyle is, anything under $1000 a month can get tight. Personally, I am able to live on under $1000 a month quite comfortably here in Costa Rica but I don't live in an expensive area and I don't "party".

You DO have to consider the cost of residency if you choose to take that route and there is also a financial cost and a cost in time if you choose to be a perpetual tourist living here full time.

I really want some honest advise on retiring in Costa Rica please. Me and my husband are about to retire doctors from Australia and would like a complete change of scene. We have looked and read extensively and Costa Rica keeps popping up. Is it realistic? What are the pros and cons? Please someone advise us. If so where? We would like ocean views and probably pacific coast. We are open to any suggestions
Nalini

Hoffman the Nomad wrote:

Interested in moving to CR. I prefer cool and nature, but also love beaches.  Not into the party scene, although food and markets need to be with in a bus ride. I am trying to stay under 1000us a month. I am a writer and need internet, and preferably an american tv channel or two.

I love hiking, animals, nature, scenery, etc. 

What are some reputable sites to find a long term rental and where should I be looking.

Admittedly I am inclined towards it since I plan to move there, but you should consider San Ramon in Costa Rica. You could find places to live on the edge of town or just outside town and you are near lots of nature there. I would also consider San Isidro De El General if I were you.

The closer you get to the ocean the less chance you'll have fast internet and the more you'll pay for rent. There are exceptions to that statement re internet though. I believe Dominical has fast internet...? Also the beach is NOT cool (except when you're IN the ocean! LOL) It's extremely hot and humid at most beaches in Costa Rica.

The other poster was right when he said you CAN live on $1000/month but you have to
a) find cheap rent; and
b) live frugally.

I know a couple who were living on $1k/month in San Ramon so it is possible if you eat local food, don't run a.c., don't have cable, etc. Even some areas will cost $100/month for internet if all they offer is Dish type (satellite) net. Other areas offer ICE (electric /phone company/government run) net and it is much cheaper.

I am also a writer of sorts, and Costa Rica is a great place to write!

Hiking, animals, nature and scenery are everywhere you look in Costa Rica (except San Jose!).
You can look up rentals on the net but I have always done best by being there first and then asking around. Someone may well know of an empty American owned house that they would rent cheap just to have it occupied instead of empty. If you agree to take care of the yard, do some handyman work on it etc you might get a really good deal. I once rented a brand new home that way, for $300/month. You just never know until you get there and start looking. The point is, the best deals are never on the internet.

In response to" I once rented a brand new home that way, for $300...' is that it was 'in the past!'. $300 may pay your utilities, now, especially at the beach...and to rent a furnished home, would likely be much more.
Like everywhere else, costs have risen, and know that you can't run a car ...which may not be a problem if you are located in town and/or near public transportation ...go out to nice restaurants, and if you are a legal resident, pay mandatory premium.

kohlerias wrote:

In response to" I once rented a brand new home that way, for $300...' is that it was 'in the past!'. $300 may pay your utilities, now, especially at the beach...and to rent a furnished home, would likely be much more.
Like everywhere else, costs have risen, and know that you can't run a car ...which may not be a problem if you are located in town and/or near public transportation ...go out to nice restaurants, and if you are a legal resident, pay mandatory premium.

I rented a home at that price last year, kohlerias. I'm not saying it's easy or likely to find one at that price, only that it is possible.

How much does it cost to operate a vehicle once you buy it, if you drive minimally - say 10-20 miles a day? I know tires are expensive and have to be replaced often...