Considering a move to Nha Trang, Vietnam

remb2030
thanks for the tips on the banking, it is all appreciated.

Maxcruise,
You do understand the unique issues in regards to drawing SS and living in VN. I assume your from the USA!

bta87,

Would you care to elaborate for we who are unfortunate enough to still live in the U.S.?

Please?

Thank you.

Actually renewal for 3 more months should be easy. Then you can find professional visa renewal services that can get you stretched out to a year but then you will have to step across the border. I do know a fellow who has been in Vũng Tàu for many years, sending his passport to relatives in the US who do the paper work and send it back. He gets the new visa at the airport in HCM. I know another old soldier who has been in Hà Nội and Nha Trang for some years without a visa. He married a young widow who was the daughter of a couple of retired old Party functionaries and well, the requirements went away.

Don't buy, it's that simple.  It's a bubble to begin with, you can't OWN it, it's only a lease in a Vietnamese name, your family back home have no inheritance rights, you'll have arseholes for neighbours that will be jealous of the white boys money,  you'll need a security guard if you leave the place unattended, sub standard shitty construction, etc etc . Rental here is ridiculously cheap. Even if you bring your money here and put it in a bank ,the interest 8% will more than triple what the rent would be on the same place.  Downside of that is the banks here are financially fucked. Standard & Poors rate them as BBB- , you can't get much lower.  Their bonds are officially classified as junk. SO.....Rent don't buy. Why buy a cow when milks  so cheap.

After reading your post, I'm wondering why an owner would need a security guard and renters won't...

Or did I misunderstand?  Thank you.

Yeah,
Break enter and steal  is a national sport here.  Generally if you have a house and leave for a while your vulnerable. A friend here was burgled yesterday.  The place I rent is in a secure apartment block. It has 24h security, and good lock up on windows and doors.  Generally people buy a house ( in the girls name) . Houses are more vulnerable. Even  with security they still get in. Your so called "neighbours" see nothing. A guy here had cameras, alarms etc....went away for the week and came back to find they just went through the thin brick walls with a sledge hammer. About 2 minutes work.

It's worth a lot not to worry. I know so many people here that have been burgled. A cheap sledge hammer and scared neighbours are the problem. Just rent a secure apartment.  You can travel home and come back to your place still intact. Make sure you change the locks and have padlocked security grill over doors and balconys.  Slip the security guys a few beers and a packet of smokes every now and then and it should be good.

I've lived in SE Asia for ten years. My advice to anyone is never buy property in a country you are a "visitor" in! I know a lot of people in Thailand and the PI that have been burned. Can't say about VN yet. But would imagine it's the same.

I'm headed to Da Lat in December and am bringing some security with me. Was thinking of a house, but now you have me thinking that maybe an apartment is the way to go.

How do you deal with the additional noise of connected living? Overall, Asia is "louder" than the west... do you just get used to it?

Having given a bit of thought to this, would it help if you get to know the neighbors and their kids. I'm thinking of telling them (neighbors) that I know foreigners sometimes get broken into and that I will pay a reward for return of stolen stuff ONLY if it is accompanied by the slightly damaged and a bit broken (kneecaps are a favorite) thief? I think that might be a way to deter break-ins, along with no TV or stereo and a safe bolted to the floor to hold the laptop and iPad.

Your thoughts?

Pls reconsider this. I have a dual citizenship, living in Canada for 7 years, ang rest time in VN. I havent got into any situation like that. Also, some of my western guys already bought apartment here, it s under their names. Rules have been changed buddy. It s open for western now.

(Moderated: no free ads here please, register in the business directory )

I strongly recommend an inexpensive hotel owned by a young Canadian to use as a start point and then perhaps one of the many furnished apartments central.  I am familiar with hospitals,  services and cultural imperatives here.
You can own now,  but I would not recommend that without extensive research,  though I have made darned good profits on land being developed as Venezia.  But the bubble alluded to is also a real thing.
Rick

Would be nice if you share the contact details of that hotel and the young Canadian :-)

Nicholas, the Ha Van hotel.  Look on Tripadvisor

Thank you

Leo 46 wrote:

Lots of family stuff to take care of and other commitments we've made that we just can't back out of.

Leo its such a shame that you aren't coming sooner, the apartment I rent will become available about October 1 and for the price $750 a month has to be one of the finest in Nha Trang if not Vietnam, its actually a 2 bedroomed 600sq ft maisonette over 2 floors [3rd and 4th] leading out to a huge spacious mature roof top garden, right in the heart of the tourist center near the beach and can you believe because of its unique position I never shut my patio doors 24/7 letting the breezes blow through its that secure,I have lived in it 8 years and its like the total opposite of these box's they rent out locally and call apartments.

But hate to be the bearer of bad news and one of the reasons I am leaving after 11 years here is the visa situation, a lot of the info you have been given is just not correct, the info on the rising cost $15 for each 3 months was true a year ago but since January 1 this year its all changed, now you arrive on a 3 month visa the best you can get is a 1 month extension one time, then you have to leave either flying to Bangkok returning next day getting VOA or bus to Cambodia getting another 3 month visa, so  in affect leaving every 4 months [this info is as true as I know it up till 4 months ago,if its changed I apologize], but please dont believe all is promised you by agents and second and third hand stories.

As for getting around I have managed to stay injury free by using a bicycle taxis and occasionally buses, I think riding a motorbike here is just asking for trouble and judging by the amount of expats I have seen who have injured themselves its just not worth it, sadly some of those injuries have been very serious and lives have been ruined, it really is so unsafe and the amount of expats who have accidents is so disproportionate to the amount that drive, think its because they are decent sensible drivers and act accordingly expecting others to do the same, that does not happen resulting some time in very serious injury if not worse, you really need to  think about it because once you have visited the hospital here you for sure wont be wanting a repeat visit haha,  Best of luck in your endeavor, I came for a year and stayed nearly 11 and will leave with some great memories. David.

The visa situation is a pain.....agreed.  I do not, agree that the dangers of driving a motorbike are all that onerous.  Not a good idea to take advice from anyone who not and has not been a motorbike driver, as I have and as all my friends have been for 8 to 10 years. 
The  dangers of bicycle driving seem to be equally dangerous.....both require alertness.  When in Rome, donas the Romans, then apply alertness.  The majority of incidents involving foreigners involve alcohol or stupidity...people inexperieced weave in and out at high speeds on their rented motos ( lots of Chinese and young Russians) and later declare innocence.
My wife and  I put far less trust in distance travel by bus.  Search the web to find the incredible numbers of fatal b us wrecks caueed by the driver's sleep defecit, aggressiveness, or sheer stupidity.    For sure, motos are not safe.  If you intend to moto, bring a good halmet from the states.  Be cautious....drive slowly, as do many, many, of the locals.   Observe logical behavior.
As for rentals, $750 is a huge price in Nha Trang....and why retain an apartment when you can sell it?  I would be hard pressed to value a small unit at tgat amount.  This from a guy currently adding on to my very nice house that would bring less than $400/MO ...Western style place, air, modern kitchen and 2 baths,  upper garden veranda and very large bedrooms, near the water in a nighborhood 10 minutes out of the city core.  I have 3 other properties with my wife, so I do have a clue.  Be careful.  Lots of expats are trying to unload placescat inflated prices.   Beware!  Many areas flood.  Check them out by asking neighbors and by observing  the markings of high water.  Security is a big issue.  Expats are targets, so choose a residence wisely, then invest in wifi cameras and get to know your neighbors.  Buy the local cops a few cases of beer periodically, or grease their palms.......reality.
These are precautions I have taken in other places around the world, including Manhatten. Renewing a visa is a minor inconvenience.  Your health, comfort and safety are  more significant.   
Be slow to immerse yourself into the expat community, finding reliable friends among thise who volunteer to teach English, or otherwise contribute.  Resist the temptation to just hang out.  It will kill you.  Put up your antenna.
There are ever so many good folk, both local and expat,  to share conversation, coffee and smiles with.  The open and cheerful children are amazing.  Just be careful.

Vietrick wrote:

The visa situation is a pain.....agreed.  I do not, agree that the dangers of driving a motorbike are all that onerous.  Not a good idea to take advice from anyone who not and has not been a motorbike driver, as I have and as all my friends have been for 8 to 10 years. 
The  dangers of bicycle driving seem to be equally dangerous.....both require alertness.  When in Rome, donas the Romans, then apply alertness.  The majority of incidents involving foreigners involve alcohol or stupidity...people inexperieced weave in and out at high speeds on their rented motos ( lots of Chinese and young Russians) and later declare innocence.
My wife and  I put far less trust in distance travel by bus.  Search the web to find the incredible numbers of fatal b us wrecks caueed by the driver's sleep defecit, aggressiveness, or sheer stupidity.    For sure, motos are not safe.  If you intend to moto, bring a good halmet from the states.  Be cautious....drive slowly, as do many, many, of the locals.   Observe logical behavior.
As for rentals, $750 is a huge price in Nha Trang....and why retain an apartment when you can sell it?  I would be hard pressed to value a small unit at tgat amount.  This from a guy currently adding on to my very nice house that would bring less than $400/MO ...Western style place, air, modern kitchen and 2 baths,  upper garden veranda and very large bedrooms, near the water in a nighborhood 10 minutes out of the city core.  I have 3 other properties with my wife, so I do have a clue.  Be careful.  Lots of expats are trying to unload placescat inflated prices.   Beware!  Many areas flood.  Check them out by asking neighbors and by observing  the markings of high water.  Security is a big issue.  Expats are targets, so choose a residence wisely, then invest in wifi cameras and get to know your neighbors.  Buy the local cops a few cases of beer periodically, or grease their palms.......reality.
These are precautions I have taken in other places around the world, including Manhatten. Renewing a visa is a minor inconvenience.  Your health, comfort and safety are  more significant.   
Be slow to immerse yourself into the expat community, finding reliable friends among thise who volunteer to teach English, or otherwise contribute.  Resist the temptation to just hang out.  It will kill you.  Put up your antenna.
There are ever so many good folk, both local and expat,  to share conversation, coffee and smiles with.  The open and cheerful children are amazing.  Just be careful.

I am sorry but suggesting they should not take advice from someone who does not own a motorbike as regards there own safety on a motorbike is a little bit ignorant, I have never been to the North Pole but I can assure you its very cold, as it happens I do own motorbikes, being the owner of Nha Trang Easy Riders the largest motorbike touring company in Nha Trang I own and rent out quite a few motorbikes and have sadly first hand knowledge of the amount of expats who end up in hospital, as for traveling by bus for sure town to town or city to city yes its very dangerous but if you want or need to go out to say the Metro its very safe.

As for $750 a month being a huge price for a rental, compared to what, you do know there are apartments and houses here for rent in Nha Trang  at $1000 to $15000 a month, you have to understand not everyone is on a budget and some people are prepared to pay higher for a greater level of comfort location and security, for sure there are houses here at $250 a month, that for sure may suit you and others but for many it wont, just like anywhere else you get what you pay for and certainly many wont be happy about having to buy the local cops beer to help there security, in fact if I had to that that would be a very good reason for me not to live there.

And asking people why they retain an apartment when they cant sell, not sure what you mean but maybe why rent and not buy well not everyone wants to buy if they are here for a short time, thats the same the world over, and as for your comment that many expats are trying to upload properties at inflated prices, well I am not sure why they would do that and I can assure you I am not.

You have a vested interest in rentals, while i do not.  The comparison the North pole is a paralogism, at best.  I am not interested in a pissing match, but I will stand by my logic of listening to EXPERIENCED drivers as opposed to inexperienced.  Others may well disagree with me, and thats fine.  I didn't tell my wife that I understood her ordeal of childbirth.  I havent experienced it.  Women might well have different experiences...but it us for them to discuss. 
These folk are looking for experienced advice  and I am most assured that you have many cultural, experiences to share, places to recommend, ideas on how to interface with officials, etc.   Talk about the experiences of bike riding, the sometimes horrific bus rides...stick to what you know.
And I am sorry, as you say.  Your place better be one hot stuff apartment, but I can rent one today in Nha Trang Center for that price.  There are countless Russians that are desperate to dump or rent their places.  The new high rise at the bridge will be very spendy...they will remain unsold or unrented....shades of the current hotel occupancy rate of 20%.  I am an investor and u nderstanding values and opportunities is my expertise.  I have a very nice property in the developing Venezia, right in the city and villas are going up now, with the infrastructure nearly complete.  But I kust bide my time to sell and consider it a real gamble, as the whole town is on a bubble.  Deals remain, but it takes research to find them.  People have get rich quick ideas.  I will be happily shocked if you get your asking price.  The R ussians that overwhelmed Nha Trang are not coming and westerners have grown weary of little Russia are only slowly returning.  I have 2 good friends with hotels. They can tell you that their very survival depends on attracting locals to their bars.  Go to the Sheraton and ask him.  Stand outsude the countless new hitels and observe the traffic trickle.  The bubble is bursting   5 banks failed last year.  They are heing entirely propped up by the government.  A redux of our own property meltdown, only now recovering.  Those are facts, not conjecture. 
Obama will come to Vietnam to discuss trade and defense agreements and I believe trade will improve,  but the economic polarization is even now evident.   All these things and more affect property and rental values.  The current influx of Hanoi folk is the major influence of housing values, and they are not renting.
I am no youngster.  I will take informed risks, as I have done my whole life; but i prefer logic and experience over conjecture.

Vietrick wrote:

You have a vested interest in rentals, while i do not.  The comparison the North pole is a paralogism, at best.  I am not interested in a pissing match, but I will stand by my logic of listening to EXPERIENCED drivers as opposed to inexperienced.  Others may well disagree with me, and thats fine.  I didn't tell my wife that I understood her ordeal of childbirth.  I havent experienced it.  Women might well have different experiences...but it us for them to discuss. 
These folk are looking for experienced advice  and I am most assured that you have many cultural, experiences to share, places to recommend, ideas on how to interface with officials, etc.   Talk about the experiences of bike riding, the sometimes horrific bus rides...stick to what you know.
And I am sorry, as you say.  Your place better be one hot stuff apartment, but I can rent one today in Nha Trang Center for that price.  There are countless Russians that are desperate to dump or rent their places.  The new high rise at the bridge will be very spendy...they will remain unsold or unrented....shades of the current hotel occupancy rate of 20%.  I am an investor and u nderstanding values and opportunities is my expertise.  I have a very nice property in the developing Venezia, right in the city and villas are going up now, with the infrastructure nearly complete.  But I kust bide my time to sell and consider it a real gamble, as the whole town is on a bubble.  Deals remain, but it takes research to find them.  People have get rich quick ideas.  I will be happily shocked if you get your asking price.  The R ussians that overwhelmed Nha Trang are not coming and westerners have grown weary of little Russia are only slowly returning.  I have 2 good friends with hotels. They can tell you that their very survival depends on attracting locals to their bars.  Go to the Sheraton and ask him.  Stand outsude the countless new hitels and observe the traffic trickle.  The bubble is bursting   5 banks failed last year.  They are heing entirely propped up by the government.  A redux of our own property meltdown, only now recovering.  Those are facts, not conjecture. 
Obama will come to Vietnam to discuss trade and defense agreements and I believe trade will improve,  but the economic polarization is even now evident.   All these things and more affect property and rental values.  The current influx of Hanoi folk is the major influence of housing values, and they are not renting.
I am no youngster.  I will take informed risks, as I have done my whole life; but i prefer logic and experience over conjecture.

Mate  cant be bothered with most, but I think you ought to read my initial post, I have nothing to sell or asking price to ask for, in 2 months I will be leaving Vietnam never sadly to return, I offered my opinion to Leo on the apartment actually saying I knew he could not take it as he will be arriving much later in an opening gambit to our conversation, its not my apartment its one I was renting and will be leaving, as it happens not that it really matters it is hot stuff as you say and far better than those box's in Nha Trang Center.

And if you think because I have a vested interested in the motorbike touring business that would somehow sway my advise to even the most experienced motorbike drivers you are sadly very wrong, its my view that those experienced and careful drivers are in just as much danger in fact sometimes because of the careful way they drive even more, but thing is by the whole tone of your reply you seem to think its about profit money wanting something etc same with the apartment, once again lad sadly wrong and not what this Forum is about.

Take a look at the Garden thread, you will see I am offering to give away thousands of dollars worth of plants and hundreds of dollars worth of food to go with them to any keen expat as I am leaving, money is not everyone's goal, maybe you have become to cynical after living here a few years but please dont paint everyone with the same brush.

This thread is moving off topic.
Can we all get back the initial subject which is "considering a move to Nhga Trang".
Thank you.

Hi,

My name is Louis, I am from the Netherlands and living in Vietnam already for 10 years. I retired from the Dutch Royal Airforce in 2005 and moved over at once. In 2006 I visited Holland again but that wasn't realy a success for me. Since then I never went back to Holland again. I think Vietnam is much better then any other country in the world. It is a safe place what doesn't mean there isn't any crime. Of course there is cime in Vietnam too like in every country. What we don't have is terrorism, shootings in public places, massive demonstrations, etc.

We have very good hospitals in Saigon and Hanoi and we have good health insurance so healthcare is no problem. The best weather of Vietnam you find in Nha Trang. You talked about renting a hotel room first but there also are furnished appartments for short time rental for the same price as a decent hotel room.

I can write a whole lot more of course but maybe I write about subjects you are not interrested in. Just let me know what exactly you want to know and I will answer you.

greetings,
Louis

Nha Trang also has a very good hospital.

Yes, HSBC sucks.  But you were lucky to open an account.  I was a Premier account holder, and opening an account in Sai Gon was very simple, but when I got to Da Nang, it was very complicated and frustrating.  I wound up giving up.

I had an account in Hong Kong and the US which were linked, but the only way they'd let me transfer money was to come to Hong Kong and do it in person.  So I went to Hong Kong and closed the account.  No, I didn't get all my money back.  They kept a chunk.  Fees the called it.  Pure robbery.  Never again.

There is a way to get away without a bank account here and pay no ATM or currency exchange fees.  Open an account with Charles Schwab Bank, and get an ATM card.  The process is simple online, and they'll ship the card to you outside the US.  American citizens can pop into Cambodia and withdraw American currency at no cost, too.  The exchange rate at one of the jewelry shops in Ben Thanh market is really good.  Go to the place with the line, and don't worry.  They're very efficient.

I've heard good things about Nah Trang and have considered it myself.  I've tried Sai Gon and Da Nang.  Da Nang got a bit boring, but it was cheap.  It does have a big airport though.  I gave up on Thailand long, long ago.

i  visit  nha  trang  in may  ,  free  show  me around  ?  or  you  have  friends  in nha trang  to  show me around  ?

We spent 3 months in NH 11/16-1/17. We were treated well mostly. There were two occasions of disturbing behavior by a hotel mgr and a beach bar overcharging but most people were very gracious and honest.
That aside we loved NT. Clothes shopping, food, Cable TV were highlights. We explored waterfalls, bought leather jackets for the kids, scuba'd and found meds no problem. We may be going back for a longer stay bc its a lot cleaner than Thailand and 1/3 less cost.
NH does have its share of drunken Russians! But they posed no problem. The Chinese we stayed well clear of and you might too.
Happy Hunting!

How is Nha Trang?

Hi TIORKLGM

I know this post's 5 years l thought that, maybe you're still on the forum and can give me some advice?

I'd like to retire in Nha Trang and would be pleased to know if you know of any reputable real estate agents; as I'd hate to be tricked into moving in somewhere  that's a total dump, for which I'm being forced to pay top dollar.

I totally agree with you, we have the HSBC in  Melbourne and they'r an absolute joke. Like you, I opened an account one day and closed it the next.

Regards
Electra

Wife and I are retired.Finding VN a very interesting and economically sound place for retirees.We would be looking for a small house or villa to rent for 2 months that would be close to stores and shopping.If we find ourselves comfortable and adapt easily to VN we would consider a permanent move. Any and all information please send to  ***.   ThankYou.  Jay&Rose Hersch

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My wife and I are considering the same thing, how did it turn out for you?