Need advice moving to chicago (taxes, rents, ...)

Hello

I need advice moving from Paris to work in chicago next year. here is my situation
- 33 years old software engineer with 9 years of experience
- married and having a 1 year old baby
- Gross income in paris 55k€per year

My boss would like me to work in our heardquarters in chicago and offered me a 95k$ salary.

Here are my questions:

Taxes related:
- How does taxes work in Chicago, Illinois ?
- How much total taxes am expected to pay (federal, state, ...) ?
- Do I have to fill any form to pay taxes, or is it paid by my employee ?
- How much is (or how to calculate) my take home salary?
- I have an appartment here in France and I plan to rent it; do I have to declare that rent in the US and pay taxes on that rent?
- I will probably move in June 2015, is there a way that I can avoid paying taxes in france on 2015 income?

- How complicated is to rent an appartment in a safe area of chicago compared to paris?
- Do you pay taxes for renting an appartment (taxe d'habitation) ?

lots of questions, I know, but please help me as much as you can.

Thanks,

RoseDupont wrote:

Hello

I need advice moving from Paris to work in chicago next year. here is my situation
- 33 years old software engineer with 9 years of experience
- married and having a 1 year old baby
- Gross income in paris 55k€per year

My boss would like me to work in our heardquarters in chicago and offered me a 95k$ salary.

Here are my questions:

Taxes related:
- How does taxes work in Chicago, Illinois ?
- How much total taxes am expected to pay (federal, state, ...) ?
- Do I have to fill any form to pay taxes, or is it paid by my employee ?
- How much is (or how to calculate) my take home salary?
- I have an appartment here in France and I plan to rent it; do I have to declare that rent in the US and pay taxes on that rent?
- I will probably move in June 2015, is there a way that I can avoid paying taxes in france on 2015 income?

- How complicated is to rent an appartment in a safe area of chicago compared to paris?
- Do you pay taxes for renting an appartment (taxe d'habitation) ?

lots of questions, I know, but please help me as much as you can.

Thanks,

bienvenue sur le forum!

merci d'utiliser le francais sur le forum francais  ;)

Hello RoseDupont

Kindly note that your thread has been moved to the anglophone version of the forum so as to help you get better interactions.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I am not a tax expert, but I estimate take home as around 80% of the total. It isn't as difficult to find an apartment,  but the better areas are much more expensive.  Many families move to the suburbs and commute. And no apartment tax as far as I know, simply a deposit typically.