Robbed in Dar

I was mugged in Dar. 

Befriended, then got into car with my "friend" and his driver.  Quickly picked up two other men and was caught.  They demanded the pin for my bank card on threat of death and then took $1,000 out of my account.  Held me for 2 hours altogether and was punched a few times.  They didn't take any personal belongings other than money and phone which had the "friend's" number.  Police have shown very little interest. 

I have heard of two other robberies in April in Dar.  One of street mugging involving three men, the other a slashed backpack in a bus. 

Could we build a compendium of modus operandi and get an idea of frequency in Dar?  Can you describe a robbery you were a victim of or someone reliable you now was a victim of?

Omg so sorry to hear of your ordeal i only hope that the culprits are found and caught so they cant do this to someone else!! i have heard of so many robberies an bag snatching going on lately... as it happened to my friend over in masaki way she had her bag snatched!

So sorry to here about it, but glad you are safe and unharmed. :)

My friend I feel sorry to hear that. but Than goo ur fine.
I real recommend any foreigner for you to be safe in TZ if you want enjoy city tour and be free. Find a local friend but don't trust him/her.. sory my english is not good.!

I was robbed off my phone and laptop,I am sorry police in this country are very reluctant even after fronting a suspect,the next day the suspect was smiling around,Sorry for what happened

Hi Alan! I am really sorry for your experience.

Thank God, nothing really dangerous happen to you.

Thanks for sharing the information! This is getting worse and worse in the last months!

Well, I have now been robbed twice since I posted my first time.

The second time while I was walking home at night a car came from behind and the front passenger grabbed my shoulder bag dragging me along the road for several metres before the strap broke.  They just got half a dozen apples, my dictionary and a newspaper.

A couple of days ago my wallet was picked in a dalla dalla despite my pocket having a zipper.  He got about 40,000 shillings.

I saw witnessed another robbery from just half a dozen metres away.  Several women (locals) were at a table having coffee where somebody grabbed a large handbag and leapt into a car which had its door open ready.  The women were furious and tried to throw rocks at the car as it spead away. I could see the thieves laughing as they drove off.

Pole Sana!!

Pole Sana!  You must try to protect yourself, especially at night.  I know it is expensive but it is best to have one driver that you used often and never walk alone.

There is a facebook page where people post such issues, I think it is called "I've been a victim of a crime in Dar", you should post your experiences and read others to know what to watch out for.  Good Luck.

facebook.com/groups/166388156831623/
This is the link to : IŽve been a victim of a crime in Dar

Allan,

What for the hell are you doing in Dalla Dallas and who told you that walking during the night even in Masaki is safe?

During my three years stay in Tanzania I observed some golden safety rules and never been robbed.

The guy who tried to still the mirror of my SUV finished with a broken head - in a city like Dar you must always have weapon in your car - gun, large knife, or at least a baseball bat to be able to protect your property.

Otherwise tanzanian thieves are fast but weak and you can easy handle them. Also the Tanzanians hate thieves and the locals usually will assist you to kick the bastard.
A lot of thieves in Dar are comming from Kenya and Somalia.

The police is useless , don`t deal with them.

Please share your "Golden Safety Rules"! I'm sure we could all use a refresher... but I don't think I will be buying a gun anytime soon.

Thanks Maria, Mzungu and Rikiking,

Thing is I had no idea that there was any danger in Dar.  I was totally innocent/naive.  I am too poor fr anything but a dalladalla.  Woe is me!  Where can I get a cheap gun?  I am sure that would just be stolen as well.

Machemo confirms the point about the police.  It seems as if the police have neither computers nor a proper wage.  Even the Australian consulate and embassy didn't return my emails. At some stage maybe there will be a story to give the media.

The thing is to somehow let people know before they get here.

hi. Your experience sounded dreadful. Being a woman I won't be getting in to cars or have close relationships with Tanzanian men, unless they are friends of friends.I am new to Dar, it's all very daunting.Lynn

I was so naive back then as are most new arrivals and it was so daunting for me as well.  I am a lot more comfortable now.

Mikocheni, The Peninsula, Upanga and some parts of the city at night (not Kisutu) are higher risk areas.  Some thieves/gangsters drive around these areas looking for a target mzungu or local.  I still walk about late at night in areas that I feel are safe.

Friends of friends sounds good.  All the best, have a wonderful stay in Dar!

Hello Allan,

I am glad that I have found your story regarding your experience in Dar. I am a Kenyan student coming in late June to for a short internship. I also had NO idea that Tanzania could be that dangerous, I can honestly say that crime isn't that bad here in Kenya! The robberies are more on the lines of fraud and the such, but not bag snatching or armed violence. The police here are much worse though, we fear them more than we fear robbers!!
Based on this report, I have resorted to wearing the cheapest clothes I could find and coming to Dar with my broken cellphone; perhaps the thieves won't be interested in it.
Like you Allan, I can only afford a dala dala.
I'll be coming by bus from Kenya and am praying that I don't get robbed!

Hello

Sorry to hear your stories but you are not only victim here. Post your stories on Facebook, someone given  the link .. I follow all reports posted there.
In one year living in Dar we were robbed  twice in our own house despite professional security guard and  house full of alarms around (which saved us in middle of night)  while guard was asleep...we never recovered stolen stuff , security company  said  only " Pole" ... That's what you will hear every time after being robbed/hurt. To posses a gun is not common and illegal , my some friends have gun but those are locals and by company have permission and right of gun possession. Police corrupted here too.
Bad luck can arrive to anyone,  more often when you are white... Its sad but this is how it is ,not everywhere is safe , some areas even day time.
My rule , is less exposure to public or local crowd, avoid unknown ppl trying get friendly with you.
There is lots of cheating everywhere , it depends how lucky one is to avoid it or not be hurt badly.
Personally I find Tanzanians very friendly, just difficult to read mind and know who is who.
With time you will develop way how to get along with life in Dar.
One more comment.. local ladies are so smart and have  good convincing skills, often it's just money they want out of men, even working ladies ( sorry, no offense )..
For me as white woman , few occasions when some Tanzanians try to make friendship  then offering role of boyfriend or lover...again, everyone has  own motive showing interest in you, mainly monetary interest. At the end, everyone makes own choice.
Good luck

sorry for get in touch with a bad history within the city. but what to recommend?
If you will be likely to walk around the city and street get ensure your with a friend whose is familiar to those area and people life style because differ from street to street be update of any crews or new kind of theft used at the place.

walking time be aware that no where is safety for an individual at night like home for security avoid walking alone, use public transport, or to unknown place if you want to move out use a familiar tax driver not a new driver.

Don't depend on polices support in cases of robbery in Tanzania because if you will go to the police office and report robbery they will like to know many things like can your recognize the person robe you the place they can find him, are familiar with him and it will take time and even more hard for them to know they guy as no cameras around town

what to advice you walking with very limited amount of money, don't react guns never work in public areas they will stole it after short stop from the buying store.
have a nice stay to bongo(brain) city in swahili

Sorry for that, unfortunately, Dar es salaam is dangerous for anyone with even a little cash ( the situation is worse for whites), I woukd advice you to never take daladalas, most daladalas have 70-80% of passengers who are thieves, anyone might steal from you no matter how friendly/ well dressed they appear to be.
Buying a car and using tinted windows is a better option, since the tinted windows are used here, that way, you reduce the risk of robbers spotting you from distance especially at night.
Plus, never believe anyone in Tanzania, thieves come in defferent forms here, even someone selling uou a product at a double price is a form of stealibg from you.

Hi!

Very sorry for all these bad experiences. I've just been recruited to work at dar es salam near coco beach and I read many articles on the net and your posts about the lack of safety and increasing violent crime. As a bachelor girl coming, i'm seriously doubting about the my project because of this question of safety...

Please Helila, don't be discouraged.  It is just one of the numerous challenges one faces living in any third world country.

If you know people here they will give you good advice and help you stay safely.  If you don't know anybody here I will be happy to meet you for coffee early in your stay and give you advice.   Coco beach is a "hot" location but many people never experience any such unpleasant events. Having heard about them you will be all the wiser.

There are so many wonderful things about Tanzania and Dar es Salaam you really shouldn't miss - such as the music scene (brilliant really), the friendly and affectionate people, the innumerable beautiful places.

Thank you for your answer. I was so excited to come but yesterday when I began to make some research about the safety in Dar, I'm very tensed and anxious because of what I read...Hope everything goes well...Thanks for your reassuring words

hollo everyone ,
    recently i have got an offer in dar, and i was very much interested to move on,bt wen i try to know abt the place in this form and various other sources im really afraid now, how can we live peacefully since u cant even walk safe even in the mid of the day, to me it looks every one in the city been a victim at least once, its really tough whenever u walk on the streets  there is chance some one may come out with gun ,, means,, opphs,,,now im thinking abt my decision,my friend is working in uganda bt he never complained anything like this,,,now i m thinking even my salary is less im safe here ,,,,

Hi Senthil83

It is not really so bad.  If you listen to what has happened to other people you will be much wiser and  less likely to be a victim in the same way.  As I said previously, there are so many goood things about Tanzania and the people here it would be sad to miss all of this.  We can learn from other people's experiences and so be much safer which is why I started this blog.

It sad to hear that, some place are not to be walk alone, and taxi are not reliable this days so sorry to hear that, please be carefull next time. and friends always close your windows while in vehicle, please take care

Hello Alan! Indeed, it's sad to come across stories such as yours as the situation in TZ especially Dar is terrible. The drive-by bandits have been on a rampage for many years now and there is not just one gang. However, some have been caught recently and not heard of any incident lately, but the bodaboda (bike) and other robbers are still a threat!

Perhaps the below numbers of higher authorities in the Police may be of some help, and there are private security task forces too within Dar who have close contacts with the Police in Dar:

Inspector General of Police (IGP) - ****************
Special zone commander of police- ************************

Private task force team called Suraksha- Mr. ****************** . For numbers of other members of the team, contact the person mentioned.

You may as well join crime groups like 'I've been a victim of a crime in dar' or 'Dar Crime Alert' to get updates on incidents:

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : please communicate these names and phone numbers in private

That is fabulous information Adil. Many thanks.

I've been to Dar many times and stay as long as my tourist visa will let me. I have never had a problem there but I live in the most violent city in Europe (according to a UN poll from a few years back).

A few tips for anyone going to Dar - its not Eden it has its problems like everywhere else always remember this!

Don't make random friends would you do that back home no? then why in Dar?

Don't carry a lot of cash on you. You don't have to have a brick of cash on your person.

Get a driver a taxi is fine. he wont get stopped by the police with a muzungu in the back and he's going to make money without waiting in a queue. they can be trusted but remember they will charge extra.

Never ever ever get on a dalladalla its that simple.

Thieves are cowards if you are confident (or fake it) they wont go for you they will go for the weaker targets.

Thieves are everywhere and you just have to keeps your wits about you.

When I'm in Dar i live in places like unbongo or mebezi the locals know who I am and are always willing to step in and help out if I look like I need it normally when buying something.

TL;DR take the same precautions as you would back home and you should be 90% safe no where is 100% safe but the TZ people are mostly good.

Thanks

Hi,
exactly the same happened to me but luckily i wasn`t punched in the face and the amount that the robbers stole was more than double of yours. Was the name of the offender maybe "Peter" - the guy who was your "friend"?

Please remember that Dar Es Salaam is a large city and like all large cities around the world there is poverty and people looking for opportunities.  This doesn't just happen in developing countries!  This happens in every state in the US and every major city throughout Europe.  If you are out at night alone, you present an opportunity for anyone desperate enough to approach.  Please be knowledgeable about what you are carrying and know that a bajaje is a safe and cheaper way to move around in Dar.  Learn some Swahili so you can yell out when approached by someone wanting to steal from you or harm you.
Please be aware and safe.

He gave his name as Emannuel.  I am sure it was a fake name as he was very smart and it was well planned.

I think Tz is safer than Uganda or Kenya.  I travelled extensively by intercity bus, dala dala, bajaj, taxi and uber.  Uber may be safer than taxi or bajaj.

If you travel by intercity bus alone, it is better to reach your destination in daylight. 

Knowing even a little swahili is an advantage.  Carry less money, no bank card, no camera but a mobile phone is less at risk these days.  Most locals in the city have their own phone.  The country towns are mostly less dangerous except Arusha and Moshi.

Hi,

in my case i was mugged by the taxi driver himself in broad daylight. He and his friends (who got in after ten minutes) brought me in broad daylight to a secluded area and threatened me to kill me if I didn`t give them my money.
So be also careful when taxi drivers approach you and insist to bring you on your last day of the holidays back to the airport. At night it is definitely more dangerous but that doesn`t mean that during the day crimes don`t happen.
And i disagree i spent some time in Seoul, in Kathmandu, in Delhi, in Berlin, in Hamburg and in Bangkok. Though there are poor areas as well (especially in Kathmandu and in Delhi) and crimes happen either but safetywise these cities are much better. I don`t want to say anything bad about Tanzania. I love this country but in terms of safety it is not like all other major cities

Wow SK80, that sounds terrible.  Thank you for describing the robbery.

My experience in India is people are more often robbed by trickery. Drlhi, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar may be the worst but you can meet the wrong person anywhere in india.  Rape is more prevalent in those three states as well.

I think it is very dangerous for a woman (non Indian) to travel alone in India.   I know there are some that do it

To be honest Dar Es Salaam is not safe place, be vigilant, never trust fake smiles, people are not genuine in Dar , only few are trustworthy but still never trust.

Dear Alan,

could you give me your Email account. I have a picture of a perpetrator and i would like to share it with you. From the way you described the mugging it sounds like the same gang that mugged me.

Cheers

Sang ([link moderated])

Yes, my email address is ***

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Please check your emails, Alan
Cheers

I have a photo and a letter to share with you.  Try this email address ***

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post your contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@AlanM

For reasons of personal safety please do not post any contact details here on the open forum. Use the message system to exchange details.