New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourself here

Hi Laura! I'm jane from Ireland and 25 no creep hahaha just arrived in Barcelona this week so looking for some new buddies ta hang out with 😊

Or I should say hi everyone!! Ha ha..if anyone is interested in meeting up iv just moved to Barcelona alone as an English teacher and id say this place would be tones better if I had some people to hang out with!!

Liz1737 wrote:

Hi Te! Congratulations on your move to Spain! You mentioned you teach over there? Are you teaching English through a TEFL certification..If so was it hard to find a job and secure a visa/permit? I ask because I've been thinking of doing that but wasn't sure how hard or easy it is to establish yourself in Spain by teaching! Thanks for your input and I'm sure you'll meet many great new friends soon :)
Take Care,
Liz

Hi Liz! Yes, I'm an English Language teacher. I do have a TEFL qualification but I also have a postgrad in secondary teaching. From my experience (I have lived in Spain before in a different area) most employers ask for a minimum of a CELTA (or another course with the same amount of observed teaching hours). Online or weekend TEFL, forget it. There are definitely jobs here (mostly in Madrid and down south I believe). I am from Australia and finding work teaching is more difficult there than here. You won't just walk into a job, though. I would suggest doing a CELTA/TEFL IN Spain if possible, that way you can network and get an idea of schools/jobs while you're studying.
As for a visa, I'm afraid I can't advise you because I have an EU passport.
Where are you from? If you're from the US I know there are lots of language assistant programmes in Spain at the moment.
Anyhow, hope that helps, good luck!

Hi!!  :cheers:

I am from England, my background is Pakistani.

I am planning on doing a TEFL course in UK and looking for a job in Spain, even if I don't secure a job then... :sosad:

ill go self employed instead untill I find a job  :unsure

Wouldnt mind getting to know people before I get to Spain :D

You sound very positive. Good luck!

rosbentley wrote:

You sound very positive. Good luck!

Thanks! :)

[Moderated: Off topic]

Hello,

My name is Elizabeth and I'm from Barcelona.
I've been living abroad and now that I'm back I would like to meet new people.

I Am from sevilla if you ever come down:-)

Hi Elizabeth welcome back home! I arrived here a week ago alone to work as an English teacher so maybe we can meet up some time if you want :)

Hi i am fro sevilla. I will be here open to be your friend.I was once abroad. Hope you find a job, better in sevilla:-)

Hi alexsfj, I love Sevilla but for living I prefer my hometown :)

Hi Jane, sure, happy to meet you.

Too bad that i live in Sevilla..i would love to be your bro :)

Hey everyone, I'm Tommy from Ireland and I'm moving to Girona at the end of the month to start an English teaching job. Learning Catalan but would like to meet some English speaking friends to help the transition! :)

Hello all! I studied abroad last July in Granada as an adult student and fell in love with the culture and ambiance of the country! I am back this year for 8months on the island of Ibiza to work as an auxiliary assistant. Im excited about my time here and look forward to hearing others stories.

JaneMulligan wrote:

Hi Elizabeth welcome back home! I arrived here a week ago alone to work as an English teacher so maybe we can meet up some time if you want :)

Hello you!!!

Hola. Necesito la ayuda de cualquier Argentino que se encuentra en Málaga, ya que por cuestión de como es el Argentino, nos ayudamos entre nosotros. El avión sale el 28 de Sept y llego a España el 29 de Septiembre. Mi idea es llegar a Málaga, donde llego por una razón de ayuda. Pero necesito si alguien me puede dar o alquilar por bajo costo un lugar para dormir, como un trabajo. Me recibí de panadero, y aunque me falta la experiencia aceptaría trabajar como ayudante o de lo que sea. Soy muy trabajador, sin vicios, y muy compañero. Si saben de algo, por favor si se pueden poner en contacto conmigo. Saludos y gracias por leer esta carta

Hello Miss Deirdre ,

I am Mick, actually living Valencia and if ever you decide to come around here we can meet and talk over a coffee or a good lunch. There many beautiful areas here ( LA ALBUFERA) to walk, go running and to denia going for a walk on the beach etc.

Welcome back to Madrid and am sure you will stay for another year as Spain is a good place to have fun outdorr.Wish you all the best .

Mick

Hi Joana ,

I am Mick P. from Normandy and been teaching in Valencia for a while and i work on my own ( private tuition) and i cannot complain.It is a beautiful place here though every now and then i do go to Denia ( LAS ROTAS ) , which i love.You have really chosen a good place to live and if ever you are coming to Valencia area , do not hesitate to get in touch and we can share experience .Welcome to spain !

Mick

Hi all,

My wife and I have just bought an apartment on the Avenida del Puerto in Valencia.  We are not giving up our life in London just yet but we're hoping to spend as much time as possible there.

Hi, my name is Ann.  My husband Chuck and I just moved to the Girona region.  We're living in L'Escala at the moment and would love to connect with other Expat's.   I grew up in Co. Donegal, Ireland and Chuck is from the US.

Ann

Hi Jane,

Too bad i am living in Valencia but Barcelona is not too far away. I will just add you if you do not mind if i drive there one of these days .Good luck , Jane
Mick

Hi, i just arrived to Girona 1 month ago, my husband is Catalán i would  like to know your perceptions about Job opportunities in this country, is it still in crisis. Which kind of jobs are easy to get? What about latin people here? I am waiting for my NIE document ... Thanks

Sorry I forgot to say that I am living in Caldas de Malavella Girona ...

We just arrived a month ago as well.  Living in L'Escala at the moment.  If you're up in this area feel free to get in touch and we can get together.

Ann

hola, I have just read your post and i would like to introduce myself, my name is Nacho i'm a spanish teacher with a lot of experience teaching spanish to english speaking people and sometimes helping them with paperwork in spanish. I live in Valencia. I've been teaching spanish to an englishman for two years in an avenue close to avenida del puerto,  so if you are interested in knowing more about Valencia (the city and the province) please feel free to get in touch with me. this is my emai: [email protected]        gracias

Hi, my name is T'ai. Hola, me llama es T'ai. vivo en neuva york pero quiero vivir in espana… estoy viajando a madrid en proxima semana. I live in NY but I want to live in Spain. I am traveling to Madrid next week. soy ensenar de yoga y una masaje therapist. I teach yoga and a massage therapist. I will be offering Thai Massage Oct 6th and 7th for anyone interested in receiving a therapeutic bodywork for deep relaxation, injury rehabilitation, energetic alignment and a full body stretch!

Good morning T'ai . I live in Valencia, Spain and am teaching here in valencia for quite a long time. Wish you all the ebst for your visit to Madrid( both business and pleasure trip)If i find teh time i may drive there and learn about the Therapeutic bodywork, that is if you invite me.I am asking you to add me but i have decided to message you at the same time.

Mick

Lady of leisure wrote:

Hello All.
I am exploring the Alicante area looking to retire to Spain. Prefer to be out in the countryside. Anyone want to convince me this is a good idea and got advice on the nicest areas to explore.
I will be living on my own but up for a challenge, retired but so not passed it yet!!! Keen artist and ceramic sculpture looking to set up a studio. Plan to make several trips to look around before I decide where to settle down. Got extensive family who will no doubt take advantage so need to be within an hour of an airport.
Over to you!!

Hi there Lady of Leisure

My name is Laura, and I am about to take the plunge and live my dream in Espana.

It has taken me 19 years for my dream to come to fruition. Now, I am only 5 weeks away!!!

I can't recomment this litttle part of Spain enough. I will be moving to Oliva, the Northern most tip of Costa Blanca. This is 1 hr aprox inbetween both Alicante and Valencia airports. I used to live in Benidorm as a holiday rep  years ago, and so can give both sides of the story.

There are some exceptionally beautiful areas of Spain and the Costa Blanca.....and there are so not-so beautiful areas too!!!  When you venture 15/20 minutes away from the coast, this is where you tend to find 'real' Spain.

No matter what you do or where you go, if you get the chance, go and visit Altea - 10 mins North of Benidorm. It is actually my favourite place. It was knows as the artist's retreat back in the 1960's. Artists from all over would come to Altea and make it their home. It is such a beautiful village. It was voted within the top 10 most beautiful villages in Spain last year. So please don't miss it.

If I can be of any help to you, then please do not hesitate in contacting me. I have a genuine love of the place. I have lived here and holidayed here for many years.

I am sure that wherever you lay your hat, you'll definitely feel at home  :cheers:

Hello everyone, just arrived from Ireland a month ago and LOVING Alicante. My name is Brenda and I was born in Venezuela so I speak both Spanish and English perfectly. Looking for work at the moment, teaching English, babysitting or taking care of elderly people in their homes   :gloria

Nooo Tommy, jump right in and make new friends, force yourself to speak the language, once you find Irish buddies you will be out drinking beer every night..ha ha ha

Hey guys, I'm a 23 year old English guy who's just moved to Barcelona. I've got a job as a teacher assistant in a school in the Gracia area but would love to meet up with some English speakers as I only know a handful of people in the city at the moment!

Hope to meet some of you soon!

Alo,  vosotros sois muy amables!

Hey everyone!
I just moved to madrid
And I'm staying here for the next 3 months!!
Would love to make some friends

Hi :9

Welcome to Spain ( Madrid) am actually living and working in Valencia and been here for many years and am sure you are going to like it.Keep in touch

Hello everyone,my name is Louis.  I would like to relocate to Madrid or Barcelona (coming from Saudi Arabia) after the Christmas Holidays. I am looking for recommendations as far as where is the most permissive place within Barcelona and Madrid for an ex-pat from the US to live. I need close proximity to public transportation since I do not have a car. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone, male or female on this site wanting/needing a roommate hit me up.

hi how are you doing well if you come here hope you get a job really difficult that good luck

Job is not necessary although anything would help improve quality of life.

More interested in finding a specific area that will offer me a mix of the cultural experience and and is permissive to ex-pats. Any suggestions........por favo

hey, how are you?

how difficult is it to get a job?  :o

Hi all, Been here a month and currently looking for work. Some help please!!!

Closed