Considering Gozo

Here is my little intro -

Laid-back Scotsman just recently retired and seriously considering a move to Gozo.

Already been to the island in January of this year for a good look around, which just reinforced my intentions! 

Have identified which part of the island I want to live in - Victoria or the South (Sannat, Munxar, Fontana).  Now looking for a long-term let and finding the number of agencies and properties quite daunting.  Only need a one-bedroom apartment (although these seem to be thin on the ground) with access to outdoors and if possible no stairs.  My plan is to come out in September/October and have a few properties lined up to view.  Would probably then take a 3-4 month let over the winter to see how I cope with it all, prior to a permanent move next year.

Already live on an island here (Isle of Bute) so Gozo holds no fears!

More questions to follow for sure, but this will do for now!

David

Welcome. I live in Xaghra and I have PM'd you.
One thing you will face an issue with is that of 'lining up' properties to view.
It will depend upon what is available at the time (obvious I know) but the accommodation market can be very 'fluid'.
However, please read the private message.

In terms of location, here at Xaghra we are just 7 mins from Rabat by bus, which is every hour.
Great for shopping and all other amenities. Govt offices and hospital.
All facilities are in the village which offers a great cultural life in the square which is relatively rare on Gozo (except Rabat) as most squares shut down in the afternoon and at night but Xaghra has restaurants that remain open.
There are 8 that I know of in the square and nearby and they offer a range of food in terms of type and price.
Superb cake shop and they will bake to order too.
There are also many others around the village including a great band club.
It is vibrant without being noisy except at festa and carnival times of course.
There is a visiting health clinic doctor every weekday morning and two pharmacies.
Local taxi and car hire business, garage for fuel and other things etc. etc.

Most shops offer free delivery of goods and there are plenty of them dotted around the village.

We are also very lucky in that we enjoy great views of the valley and out to Marsalforn and close by are the vineyard and the best restaurant on the island, Ta' Frenc and close by is Ramla Bay.

When you come over, feel free to drop me a line and if you wish, I'll show you around.

As a Scot, you might be a non-EU citizen by next year, and have no right to live in Gozo :-)

georgeingozo wrote:

As a Scot, you might be a non-EU citizen by next year, and have no right to live in Gozo :-)

:thanks::thanks:

Terry

And, of course, the same could apply to people from the rest of the UK in 2015 as well :-)

Wow - that had never crossed my mind and has certainly got me thinking!  I doubt it will happen but we shall see in 6 months time.  This would maybe be a good time for Gozo to think of splitting from Malta !!

David

Thank you very much for an extremely helpful message.  I will most certainly be in touch with you again - be warned!
You certainly make a very positive case for Xaghra and I must say it sounds attractive. I had just made a personal preference for the south of the island around Xlendi rather than the north and Marsalforn after my short visit.  I could be persuaded otherwise!
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

David

No worries, glad to help. One issue with around your choice of area may be the lack of well stocked grocery shops within walking distance etc. However, if you have a car - no problem! (We do not, just hire when we have to, otherwise we walk or use buses.)

I am certainly not planning on having a car - in fact it is the last thing I want.  Although I have a licence I haven't had a car for the 8 years I have been living here and can manage perfectly well with public transport and my own two feet.  I hope to do a lot of walking (as long as the legs hold out!) and I like to swim as well.  I thought if I lived in Munxar or Fontana I would be able to walk into Victoria for shopping and in the other direction to Xlendi if I fancied a swim, but maybe this looks easier than it actually is.  All the tips and info you give me is very much appreciated.
Regards

David

Bannatyne8 wrote:

Wow - that had never crossed my mind and has certainly got me thinking!  I doubt it will happen but we shall see in 6 months time.  This would maybe be a good time for Gozo to think of splitting from Malta !!

David

I hope Gozo doesn't split from  Malta, otherwise where will Malta send all its old grumpy retired people!!

:whistle:

and where will Gozo send all its rubbish

Fontana is a good shout if you don't drive, as you get to walk through the beautiful old cobbled streets to Victoria/Rabat where you can get everything. It also has the usual bakery, grocery store, pharmacy and the old wash place to clean your drawers :) We used to walk to Xlendi sometimes as well (this was pre-regular buses) but you'd probably want to get the bus back up.

We're moving back next summer and will be looking at the same areas as you- good luck

Although you only want one bedroom also look at two as might not be any more expensive.  during the winter some places close down so look into that when choosing your place.  you will probably want to be able to walk to a local shop.  As with everywhere location location location.

Thanks a lot - maybe we'll bump into each other at the drawer-washing facility which I'm very excited about.  I may well use it to get rid of all my dirty linen and perhaps wash the dishes as well!!   If I remember correctly there is quite a bit of lush greenery around Fontana which makes it more attractive.

David

Thanks for the advice.  I suppose I could use the second bedroom as a computer room/library/office if I wanted.  I am just trying to avoid attracting too many visitors if they know I can accommodate them!

David

yes my son has decided that my two bedroom flat could sleep about 10 as long as I moved out!

Bannatyne8 wrote:

I am just trying to avoid attracting too many visitors if they know I can accommodate them!
David

:)  I had to smile at this because although, geographically, living further away from family in Wales and London we now see more of them than previously. (Some may 'joke' but I think that Gozo has more to attract them than rural Norfolk  ;)  ) It is also easier for us to visit each other now, as it also is for us to visit my father in Cheshire.

Hi Redmik
You provide a very good insight about  Xaghra i live in Malta where ive been since 1998 i am to planning to move to Gozo in early 2016 have visited Gozo many times and identified Xaghra as a good place to move i spent a week in a farmhouse there last summer and felt it was the area that would suit me best  to id also be looking for a one bedroom flat although i also realize these are thin on the ground and rental market is fluid i  will begin a proper search towards the end of 2015

Hi David, I too live in Xaghra ( having moved  here from Nadur) and you certainly are much better off in this part of the island, ( especially winter time) than the southern part and Xlendi. You have to think that the island is very quiet in the winter. so you will appreciate restaurants and places  that  are open. Also  you want to be  a bit higher up, because the rains can be quite heavy and cause flooding, so I would not necessary suggest a street level place.

That's what I did,made the extra bedroom a library

Hi Mick
This is probably the wrong way of doing this but I hope you might remember our exchange of views back in April after my posting "considering Gozo"?  I think I mentioned then that I had a family health matter stopping me moving to Gozo as quickly as I wanted to - nature took care of the problem last month, so just have a few legal and other odds and ends to sort out and then I plan to come out and seriously look for somewhere to live.  I will probably stay in the Downtown in Victoria to be central and I am aiming for early November.  It would be good to have a chat with you if you will be around.
Greetings from Scotland - you have not heard the last of me!
David

Hi David, glad you are OK. Yes, I'll be here and most welcome you are.
We can exchange details etc by Private Messenger facility on this blog.
I will send you my contact details.
Regards,

PS. You appear to have switched off the PM system for you.
You will need to go to your profile and switch that on so we can communicate.

Hi MIck

I think I have enabled private messaging again so we should be able to stay in touch - I am not very good at these forums!!

Bannatyne8 wrote:

Hi MIck

I think I have enabled private messaging again so we should be able to stay in touch - I am not very good at these forums!!

PM'd you  :)