Border crossings

I am thinking about driving to the UAE during Eid , going to Dubai for 2 days then Abu Dhabi for 1 night . I am wondering if i went to Al Ain for a night can i cross the border driving  back into Oman from there ( ex pat crossing ) ?
What documents would i need for the rental car i have for insurance etc , any special things i need to know in advance of my first time crossing the borders?
Thank you in advance of yoru answers
Deborah

You will need the following documents to cross the border, a passport with a Visa on Arrival facility with the UAE (or) a labour card with a profession listed to cross the border i.e. : The profession on your labour card must of a managerial, engineering kind of profession. The vehicle must be registered on your own visa, if it is a company owned (or) leasing company vehicle, it is ideal to have a paper from them expressing that you are taking the vehicle outside the borders (Please check the vehicle leasing company).

In essence you will need the following documents.

1. Passport
2. Omani Labour Card
3. Vehicle Mulkia (it should explicitly state that you have insurance cover for UAE & Oman)
4. Driving License

I think that's about it. Here is a link to a similar discussion I found.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2940 … Dubai.html

Also here is a tip, while going to Dubai, I used the following route, entered via the Khatmat Malalah border (near Sohar) and exited via the Wajajah border (near Sohar again). That way I saved on about 115 Dirhams as the entry at the KM border is 80 Dhms cheaper than Wajajah, but has an exit fee of 35 DHms. WB has a higher entry fee but no exit charge.

However, this only applies for people who dont have a compatible passport that can avail the visa free entry. Nationals of the UK, US, EU etc get a free Visa on Arrival and their entries and exit at any point does not come into consideration.

Thanks,

Rammy

Thank you for the links and all the information Rammy , I am travelling on a UK passport which certianly makes it a lot cheaper in regards to visas

You dont have to pay anything for the visa.

deborah1964 wrote:

Thank you for the links and all the information Rammy , I am travelling on a UK passport which certianly makes it a lot cheaper in regards to visas

On the safer side, please make sure that your profession on the labour card is of the allowable profession, dont want to be turned back due to the profession. I read a further link on that : http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news … -at-border

And yes, just like Liverpool said, there is no charge for EU / British, recently me and my GF made a road trip and her German Passport was a breeze at the borders, no payment, no questions asked; much to my dismay (a long term resident of Oman ;) ).