Water temperature

Hi guys,
we just got back from vacationing in Mexico in Cancun.. and while we were having a great time in the water, it made us realize we have never asked about the water temperature in Cabarete/Sosua area. Personally, I like the water to be warm.. like 29-30 degrees. I know it won't be so warm the winter months.   And one more question.. how are the waves.. I know  surfing is a big deal over there.
thanks in advance !

Summer 28 or so winter 26-27

As to waves it will depend on where you are in Cabarete you have waves and just west of there very good surfing. Sosua almost no waves and crystal clear water.  Good snorkeling.

Bob K

Playa Encuentro in Cabarete is the main surf spot. Cabarete, Bozo, and Kite beach are more geared towards WindSurfing, Kiteboarding, and Stand Up Paddle boarding.  The water at these beaches are very calm in the morning hours for the most part, but in the afternoon depending on the forecast, the wind picks up and you get a bit more wave action, but not enough for real surfing, perhaps some boogie boarding, or Body Surfing, but nothing major.   Morning waves after a storm can definitely be seen at those 3 beaches, but other than that those 3 beaches are pretty cool. :cool:

And Sosua Bay is the perfect spot to chill,  walk the beach, relax, have a drink, some food............ and people watch.  I avoid all the beaches on Sundays as they get very congested and a bit rowdy. All other days are awesome.

Another note  - avoid all beaches for Easter week!!! Its absolutely NUTS.

Thank you all for your answers which I wrote in my DR notebook ! You guys are such a great source of info ! I googled water temp in Cabarete/Sosua .. the lowest is in the winter months at 24 degrees and highest at 30 degrees in the summer. Sounds accurate  to you ?
Have a great day !

Sounds right. And you are always welcome. 

Once climatized - the water feels too cold in the "winter".....hahahahahaha.   I rarely go to the beach or swimming when it is chillier......   I remember visiting as a tourist and wondering why locals had jackets on and didn't come to the beach. Now I understand...... it's all relative........

We now NEVER go in our pool from mid November till April or so. First year here in the pool all the time. When we have guests escaping the snow and cold of the north they laugh because we thing the water is cold.

Water on Sosua beach today was the warmest it has been all year.  Probably 86 or so F.

Bob K

great .. Sosua Bay sounds good to me then ! yes, I am aware of our bodies getting acclimatized..  I guess the first year.. I will be in the water in the winter months and probably not the second year !
oh.. last night... we were looking online at hotels and were surprised to  see we did not find one all inclusive hotel in the Sosua/Cabarate.. only in Puerto Plata.. My husband wants to rent a condo for our stay next year instead so that we can pretend to live like the locals as much as possible  by doing our daily groceries, walk to the beach, do our laundry, deal with the electricity problem  etc...  not a bad idea at all but we will need to find a condo... not to worry.. I am sure Bob K will be able to refer us to a good place.   Right Bob ?? LOL

Staying in a condo ot apartment is a great next step!!!!  I am sure Bob can help you with ideas there in the area!!!!

Ok good morning guys.

First off there are two AI hotels in the area. Casa Marina in Sosua and Whyndam Tangerine in Cabarete

As to there are a multitude to be had depending on price and time of year.  Long term vs short term and of course location.

A good place to start is on Trip advisor under vacation rentals.  Here is the link to Cabarete:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRent … ntals.html

Here is the link to Sosua
http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRent … ntals.html

What months are you looking for exactly?

BObK

unless it burnt down, Casa Marina is an all- inclusive large hotel on the beach in sosua. at least it was a year ago. it is large with 2 sections, several pools, many restaurants etc. thier beach is about 200 by 50 yards in size. amazing it wasn't listed. I don't like that type of hotel. they really don't contribute to the local economy except for a lot of low paying jobs. you're right to want to rent an apt. or condo. by the way. Productos   ( small super mkt ) has the best bacon & ground beef around. check out the german bakery also. expensive but great stuff. it's hidden on a side street, just ask any ex-pat, they all know where it is.  have fun.

Yes Casa Marina is still around.  I agree on AIs not supporting the local economy. This is what make Casa Marina such a good choice as it is right in town. So most folks do wander off into town for food, drink, shopping, main beach (5 min walk) and such.

Bob K

I remember staying there years ago,  we went into town daily.

thank you guys for your great answers ! got it all written down in my notebook ! To answer your question Bob, more likely, we will come early Fall.. September probably.. for 2 weeks minimum..
About the German bakery, Gypsy.. thanks for the info  !  we like a few German pastries but of course being French, we prefer our Patisseries !! LOL
have a great evening you all ! OMG.. I have been living in the south too long... can't believe I said You all !! LOL

Actually you have that wrong as you were talking to many of us when telling us to have a great evening.

In the South (Tennessee for us) it is actaually:

Have a great evening all you all (plural form) :D:D:D

Bob K

Hahahaha. Bob how does "all you all" translate to Spanish??????

really ? I lived 19 yrs in TN and I never heard the "all you all"  ! actually, they probably said it and my multilingual brain only heard "ya'll ! """  LOL
Que tenga bien dia  Bob K. !

gracias

Bob K

All you All would be Todos Ustedes  :D

Nahhhh  that isn't even  cute...........LOL  it just doesn't translate well.......