New in Rabat, looking to meet other Hindi/Urdu, Punjabi, Dari Speakers

Hello all,
I am 25 years old, previously an Urdu and Hindi teacher, and will be teaching English for two years. I am moving to Rabat in a couple of months and am nervous about living somewhere without Indian/Pakistani/Afghan people. Is there a Desi community in Rabat? Any Afghans? Are there any Indian/Pakistani or Afghan restaurants in Rabat?

Thanks,
Tony

Hi. I can't find any Indian restaurants on the web in Rabat. Perhaps others participating on the forum know more.

There are two in Casablanca, an hour by train away:--

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant … egion.html

And this one:--

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant … egion.html

hi Tony

Why are you nervous first of all? U speak english so thats fine enough to make new friends in city like rabat. There are around 200 indians in casablanca who are settled there for more than 50 years. Indian embassy in rabat conducts programme from time to time like indian independence day, so u can contact embassy for meeting indian people. There are few indians in El jadida as i being indian, worked there for 2 years but it will be difficlut to contact them unless u have some contacts there. Indian restaurants exit in casablanca, marrakech and aghadir only. There was one restaurant in aghadir i think but it is closed, u can check further. Address is:

Bombay,
Avenue Al Hatimi, Rabat
10000 Rabat, Morocco
Phone    +212 699-394339

Thanks for reassuring your compatriot.

I've met a few of the Indian people in El Jadida, but now that our local Indian restaurant, "Bollywood", has also closed down I don't see them any more. I think that they live (or lived) in Sidi Bouzid and worked at Jorf Lasfar.

I tried looking up the MegaMall in Rabat for you to see if they have an Indian-type takeaway there. Oddly enough, they don't have one listed, even though there are franchises in both Morocco Mall and Anfa Place in Casablanca. These are somewhat bland offerings, but better than nothing, I guess, if you happen to find yourself there. Again, perhaps someone living in Rabat could advise you better here.

Hi Tony, I am French of Indian origin. I speak fluent Hindi (and a little bit rusty English ^^)
I just came in Rabat and I am staying in the city for the two next months. I think as well that there is no reason to be nervous if you speak English.
I can give you a feed back later on my experience if you want to. And if I meet any Desi here I'll keep you informed ;)
"Aap Rabat kab a rahe ho ?"

Thank you so much guys! I am sure I will have a great time in Morocco (I have wanted to come to Morocco for a long time!), I am just anxious about not finding certain things I am used to and not speak Hindi/Urdu for two years!
I think the embassy will be a good resource, so thank you for bringing that up.
I see that there are lots of Desis  all over Morocco, but none specifically mention in Rabat so far. Someone on the site has responded to my message, and we are talking about what spices to bring :) 

Anshu, main 14 september aa raha hun. aap kab tak rabat mein hongi? agar aap ko koi desi mil jaye, zaroor mujhe bata dijiyega!

I think you can get most spices and so on in the market, but maybe you should bring curry leaves, lemongrass, star anise, mustard seeds, fenugreek leaves, dried sour mango powder.

I make a lot of curries, as does another English friend and these are the ones I miss - I have brought a couple from the UK.

I think you should be able to make your own pickles and chutneys! However, if you can't/don't want to, you can arrange with the India Palace restaurant in Casablanca to procure things for you such as mango chutney, achaar and so on.

laduqesa: thank you so much for the tip about arranging with the restaurant. That is very smart! I don't think I am adventurous enough to make my own achaar, though... not unless I am really desperate!

I am having trouble responding to the people who message me... it says I have to post something in a forum in order to be able to respond, but isn't that what I am doing here? I am confused...

I don't know what the exact rules are, but I have an idea you have to post 10 times in the forum before you can send messages

Thanks! It is working now...

this is my first try to write here,may be i needs more posts to write here without any specific meanings to get engaged in direct messages to my concerning persons
as i am new here ,just registered.

Hi Mntiwana,

Welcome on the Forum :)

- " i needs more posts to write here without any specific meanings " - no sir.. you got it wrong.. then it will be off topic posts so please try to be genuine and participate to discussion by helping other members if you do have any helpful information to share or questions to ask :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hello Tony,

Sorry to interfere in this conversation. My hindi is quite bad, and my Punjabi even worse, but I thought that you might have reached members of the South Asian community here and that some of them might know a kathak teacher in Rabat, or someone who is trained in kathak and could give classes to my daughters. They find it difficult to practise here without a teacher.
Thanks a lot for your help,
LT

Hello!
I got delayed in my arrival, and will be flying in tomorrow. I haven't found anyone that teaches kathak yet, but will keep my eyes open!

Tony KC

Hello Tony,

Thanks a lot, that is very kind of you. Have a safe flight.

In my experience, there are very few Indian restaurants in Morocco.- there was one in Casa, not that far from the UK Embassy but not sure if still going
They have some nice food, like Tajines, so don't get me wrong, but there were times when I felt I could have KILLED for a good, hot, spicy curry!!
Take your own spices- but I did find quite a lot of them in Marrakesh, e.g. Assawk salaam supermarkets
Good luck

The 2 Indian restaurants I mentioned upthread are still open. Unfortunately, a third, the Dawlaat Express, has closed down. However, these are in Casablanca. As far as I am aware, there are still no Indian restaurants in Rabat.

I advised Tony upthread which spices to bring, so I hope he has them and enough to last.