New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here

Hi!  We are a family of 3 living in rural central Mexico.  We have lived here 8 years and are in the never ending process of becoming successful homesteaders.  Our future plans include obtaining a solar powered system.  I am an ESL teacher at a local private elementary school.  My husband is a jack-of-all trades and my son has just begun secondaria.  I have a blog called Surviving Mexico, Adventures and Disasters about our journey of becoming.  Looking forward to meeting new people and learning new things here.

I'm Italian but I live in Mexico are the owner of two tattoo shop in Playa del Carmen and Cancun ...…  I LOVE Mexico !!!

I have been enjoying your blog.  It is very well written. I have experienced many similar life experiences.
Thanks very much .  Please keep it going.

Seeing all of you bloggers who say you want to live in Mexico makes me feel  fortunate to be here. Your collective desires to make the move, too, is very affirming.  I wish you all the best of luck in finding a way to make it down here. It's a great life. I've been living fulltime in Mexico for 6 years and have never looked back. My Mexican husband no longer has a visa to cross the border and so we're content and busy here. We  work hard and enjoy a very satisfying lifestyle. We live hand-to-mouth but it's fun and challenging.

We are looking at moving to Puerto Penasco.  Looking for some helpful tips.

Hello,
It's a pleasure to introduce myself to this wonderful blog.
I'm a Florida resident, trying to buy  oceanfront land in Sabancuy, to build a retirement home. (Boqueron III)
I used to live in many countries and for over 12 years I have been a Licensed Realtor, I do speak Spanish, English, French and some German.
Presently I  run a vacation rental by owner in Orlando, Fl www.facebook.com/lodginginorlandoflcasatambo
Will appreciate very much any info regarding building permits for the area.... Seems confusing ...

Warm regards

My wife toured Mexico in College studying the Mayan ruins from Guatemala to Mexico. She has been dying to return so we packed our stuff into storage and are heading to Belize. We are in Cancun now and hoping to find something in October in Belize. We have 3 kids (ages 11,9,4) we work and school our kids online (interent) so it makes this possible. I am a semi-retired firefighter/Building contractor/Military and own a telecom start-up. My wife is a freelance writer and is using this opportunity to teach our children tings that cannot be learned in public school and write about our experiences. Please contact me if you know of living situations in Belize we would like to experience all Belize has to offer

Hi. I am exploring a stay in San Miguel from Dec through April. Any info on lodging, the city, work etc is greatly appreciated!

Hi,
I am a professional photographer in love with Mexico. I have traveled there often for both work and personal projects. Had the chance to live in San Miguel for almost 3 weeks this past spring as I did photography work for a couple of amazing local hotels. I want to return beginning of next year and meet some lovely new people.
I would also love to support a couple of local dog shelters with good pictures, hoping it would help with their adoptions.
Any recommendations would help.

Thank you and look forward to connecting!
Manuela

Hi Everyone, My husband and I and four friends will be in San Miguel for the Day of the Dead festivities in about 3 weeks. We are so excited and are going to check it out to see if we want to retire there. I am a graphic designer and my husband is a semi-retired businessman. We love the Mexican culture and hope to be buying/building a home there. We have lived in Orlando, Florida for 30 years and are excited about our new adventure.

Hi everyone!  I'm a Brazilian girl just got to DF for work I came here from Chicago. it will be for a couple of months. Hope I get to know a lot of great and nice people... So far its nice but whoaaa it surely rains...

Hola and thank you for the lovely welcome!

We are Teri (63) and Michael Conn (65) and are arriving in Mexico from Northern California right after New Years and becoming expats!

My background is in Interior Design and Financial Services, specializing in college funding.  Michael is retiring from management in a paint company here.  Michael is also a musician/singer/songwriter and sometimes I play my guitar and sing with him. 

At first, we will be staying with friends on the coast south of Puerto Vallarta in San Juan de Alima.  Then, we hope to do some traveling about Mexico and Central America to find where we most resonate with to settle down in our new home to live permanently.

We are very interested in the area around Lake Chapala and the coast above and below Puerto Vallarta for starters.  We look forward to discovering new places and making new friends, both locals and other expats with kindred spirits.

Thank you for letting us into your group.
Teri and Michal Conn

Hi I'm Darrielle I live in the uk, I have a partner that is in Mexico, we have travelled back and forth this year to see each other, I'm looking to go for a few months and take time out from here, we are looking at getting married next year and was hoping to come back to the uk for a few years then sell and move to Mexico anyone have any advice what I need to get married in Mexico, is it cheap to rent and live for a while and about jobs? All advice will help me kind regards

Hi, I'm Melody.
In March 2015 I will be moving from Seattle WA to SMA.  I first went to SMA in 2010.  I fell in love.  Since then I have returned several times and plan to retire at the end of February.  What are the biggest challenges in getting the 6 month visa to Mexico??

You will get automatically the 180 day visa, on arrival

Hi,

I appreciate your time.

My inquiries are very serious.

It's time I seriously considered moving there.  My brother in law's
parents live in SMA but he is a doctor so he/they can afford to live there.

I grew up in Brownsville/Matamoros and would prefer TNBT, The Next Big Thing.

Several smaller towns have been mentioned on these expat sites and I would prefer
a wonderful village close to the water somewhere....somewhere just getting started.

I am a "Head Cheerleader" type of personality and will love living in Mexico and helping
others live out their dreams!

SK Bruning

Thanks so much! New in Mexico but want to relocate to France.... Anywhere but most especially Toulouse.... Anyone know where I can rent a furnished room? Thanks so much!!!! Kris

:)

Just moved to SMA October first. Lovely endroit but watch the mosquitos.
The culture is rich and the people are fabulous.
I already have made tons of friends and feel so fortunate. It really is a terrific place to relocate.

Susan Cordelli, Casa Cordelli,  ★ Garita 3, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, (415)152-6618 ★ Casas de huespedes

Terrific place!

Hi Everyone

My name is Sonya, I am South African and have been living and working in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for the past two years. Vietnam has been an amazing adventure, but Im starting to look at new possibilities. Mexico has always been on my bucket list of places to visit, so I am keen to find out more information about work opportunities, cost of living etc. I am a certified English Language Teacher. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much and have a wonderful day :)

:up: Hi Sonya,

Welcome to Mexico! You will receive a very warm welcome here with us ex pats. There are many places you can rent, etc... What would you like to do here?
Let me know how I can help..... I'm a wealth of resources and information and VERY honest about what you'll find and not find here. Are you relocating here alone?

Get on the San Miguel de Allende "civil list" to find information for rents, etc. It's a Yahoo civil list. Also Facebook for parties, etc. Every Friday is the local newspaper where there is always a new art gallery opening, restaurant event, etc.
There is so much going on here.....

I have to apply first.  Is this a rigorous venture?  I am living on an island right now and won't have access to an embassy until I return to Seattle in March.  How long goes it take??

Talk to me about Vietnam....it is a possibility for me as well as Mexico.  We can swap some info as I was raised Hispanic.  Tip of Texas, raised by a "wetback" who swam the Rio Grande.  Interesting place, Mexico !

:
There are some wonderful endroits here and like anywhere else, look around...

Hello!  I'm contemplating a move to San Miguel sometime within the next 6 months.  I have a friend that owns property there on the east side of El Centro.  Coming from Dallas/Austin and working in the nonprofit field as a Development Director I'm hoping to find volunteer opportunities that will enlighten me regarding the nonprofit arena in San Miguel.  I'm fairly certain I've reached "that point" where no matter how much money I make its never enough and feel that there's got to be more to this than paying bills or working until I drop dead.  I need simplicity for the sake of my soul (and mind).

Your thoughts?

SMA is amazing and my wife and I have been here for a year. When we crossed the border it was with the understanding that we would NOT work and (supposedly take work from Mexican Citizens.)

I have 4 income streams with my pension and businesses based in the US, so I am fine and my wife is a
Chiropractor, so she can practice.

Again this is an amazing city and many are inspired to move here. It is not cheap by Mexican standards, It is much cheaper than our living in Honolulu, and our expenses are about half.

I hope that helps.

"We carry our homes inside ourselves"....you can have peace anywhere, can't you?

But I understand what you are saying....it's the whole lifestyle thing:  if you lived in a
Detroit neighborhood with prostitutes on the street corner and could hear the sound
of gunshots daily vs hearing the waves roll in from every room in your peaceful house
on a Caribbean island....BIG DIFF !

So I do understand. 

I want an even quieter lifestyle and I live in Paradise....CA weather here is perfect.  Right outside the Bay Area/SF.
Pure Heaven....why on earth would I want to move?  Well....I just do.  Expenses mainly.  If I can "live like royalty" elsewhere, why wouldn't I want to?

All choices.

Where does one find this "San Miguel de Allende civil list"?

Bienvenido!

Hi to everyone!!
We are a couple from Surrey BC Canada who are planning to retire in Mexico in early 2016.  We are travelling to the Lake Chapala area this coming January to see what it is like.  The fact that it has spring like weather all year is appealing as we don't like really hot or really humid. Like so many people resources are modest which is one of the reasons for making a move. Where we  are living is spectacularly beautiful but very costly.  We would appreciate any and all encouragement and information as to places in Mexico that you may have discovered.  Not looking for a big bustling city but not too rural either.  Closer to the west  coast for travelling back to BC would be ideal. 
Look forward to connecting with lots of interesting people
Anne and Ross

Hi there
Would love it if you would share your findings with us as we have very similar ideas of relocating.  We are travelling to Lake Chapala in January so please let us know anything you would like us to look into and we can report back
Take care
Anne and Ross

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6800359 … p_activity

San Miguel Civil List on FB I believe

I could not find it as a Yahoo Group, but maybe you would have luck that way.

To kerrytrull:  I think the more residual income/leveraged
income that one develops, the better. Besides, they told
us at the border that we would NOT be coming to Mexico
to work, and potentially take a job away from a Mexican.

Perhaps I can help or maybe you have a plan for that.

Hola a todos;

I'm from Mexico, currently living at India but in the next weeks I'll be getting back to relocate to Guadalajara, Mexico.

If anyone would like to connect feel free to send me a message. Good luck. I feel happy to going back after some months outside, I really miss the Mexican food!!!!!

GET PICS OF   EVERTHING IN THE HOUSE OR APARTMENT AND THE NEIGHBORHOOD!

Anne Stromberg.

hi all
am Mexican and I would like to live in Spain and a fashion designer and I really want to know everything about Spain

Hi!   One morning in December 2005 when living in  Newport Beach, CA I decided on the spur of the moment decided to go to Baja to see what it would be like to live there.  I had been in Mexico 3 times in the 50 years I had lived in Southern California, each had been a day trip, once to Tijuana 1954, Ensenada 1856 and Rosarito in 1977,  I spoke no Spanish, didn't know a soul, was a "little old lady" of  75.  I put the basic essentials in a full size rental car,.... coffee pot, desk top  computer set up, folding cot, folding chair, fiolding table. some personal items and a   tv and headed south,  I didn't want to drive in Mexico (I remembered how chaotic people drive there). Before I left home  I found a  couple on the internet who agreed to meet me and "move me across" when I turned in the car.  I rented an apartment (also on the internet.....big mistake!)   sight unseen in Rosarito.  It was an absolute disaster but I was able to find someone to drive me around and I ended  up on the beach in Playas  just 10 miles south of the border in a very nice rental.. 

It was a bit interesting in the beginning.  I found a Tijuana blog which introduced me to some expats.....(not an especially  "tight group") who gave some very helpful advice but all in all it was a trial and error kind of thing. Trying to sign up for phone service without any Spanish language skills (English is NOT that available) was especially tough and took about 3 weeks to finally get what I wanted.

In May of  2006  I found a taxi driver who had seat belts *WHOOPEE: (they all have them....buried under the seats) who spoke great English and ACTUALLY stopped for stop signs and redlights.  I hired him to drive for me whenever I needed a taxi for $100 a month.  He was also a great help to me.  There are several hills that run south from the border toward Ensenada, Tijuana is on one side and on the ocean side, totally separate is Playas. Sort of the Beverly Hills of Tijuana.   A town of about 20K with 2 small malls, lots of American fast food franchises,  and a Walmart.  I rented a 3 bedroom bath and 1 a half  house, totally security fenced., @ 500 a month,unfurnished plus utilities. It could have been plopped down in Newport Beach and would have fitted right in.   Bringing furniture down from Orange County was not all that difficult or expensive, I didn't do this right a way and then the driver I hired knew the ins and outs on  how to do it.  I went to the ER at an Anerican run hospital, Oasis of Hope, (English speaking MDs) right in the heart of Playas.  Great medical care.  ER visit was $35 and included medication when I left.  I was there 3x in that first six years, great care every time.  I went across the border several times to Scripps before I got up the nerve to try the ER in Playas......much better in Playas and Scripps was more expensive even with my HMO co pay.

I went across with out a visa and got   a tourist visa once there (you have 72 hours but do GET ONE!)  and I have just renewed it  every six months.  I also registered as an expat with the US consulate office.  They keep you informed on things expats need to know and you go there to vote.
After I had my 80th birthdayin 2011 I decided to divide my time between Playas and  the US simply due to my age and I never have really learned to speak passable Spanish (I do not have a linguistic gene).  I am now making plans to go live there full time again in 2015.  If I can do this, on my own, at my age,   no language skills or knowledge of the culture................anyone can.  It is safe in Playas. I wouldn't recommend going into Tijuana at night but then I wouldn't go to Compton or Watts or parts of Santa Ana at night in Southern Cal.  I go to a great dentist whose offices are in the "upscale" area of Tijuana. (my 3 tooth bridge  cost $4600 in Newport Beach, replacement was $800.  Root canal took 35 minutes NOT ONE SMIDGEN of pain, $170.  Full deep cleaning and xrays $35.  I won't go any where else.  Absolutely and totally painfree and I have a very low threshold for dentist infllicted pain. 
Crossing the border to shop in San Ysidro, Chula Vista or San Diego is easy. I cross about once a week,
If you are not sure where to live in Mexico consider, giving  Playas a visit to get a feel for life in Mexico.  It is close enough to home (San DIego) for short stays,  I still just have a tourist visa. My US HMO isnt good in Playas.  I can get full coverage health insurance and be fully covered with quality care with an M3 visa which I probably will get in 2015,   I know expats who use the Mexican health system and have no complaints.  An equivalent to a 911 call brings an ambulance with an MD.  Ambulance ride is very cheap. $7 for me in Playas.  I had an ambulance ride in the US  (no critical emergency care.,....I fell, banged up leg and couldn't walk).....just 4 miles without sirens or speed....$1485.
I should have called a cab and not 911.

I successfully  run a business (wholesale sportswear) out of my home in Mexico or USA using a postal center in San Ysidro, Vonage phone  and a southern California phone number,  paying    resale taxes, etc in California.     Great break on US income tax also.  I would definitely recommend using Vonage or Magic Jack  in Mexico.  The government owned phone company is the pits and expensive.  Electricity for rentals remains in the hands of the owner of the property and your first 12 months bill is based on the previous years usage.  After 12 months my bill was considerably less.  I never went over the 2 moth  600  kwh limit although I cooked with electricity, had a double door 22 cu ft fridge, washer (gas dryer) when living in that house.  and my electric bill for the two month period was  about $50.  I pay $55 for basic cable (much better than basic cable here......about a dozen english speaking   channels) and high speed internet.   Propane is $7 a month.  And bottled spring water $4 for 5 gallon.   All these numbers in this writeup are US$,

I wouldn't go to the drug centered states of ....Michoacon  is one of the WORST for drugs and corruption) Juan's brother lives there. It is Juan's
home state, The drug cartel ontrols his home town and local police activity  is so corruptk  the local residents  have their own vigilante police force (made up of its citizens)   There is a golden triangle of three states  south of Brownsville you do not want to enter. 

It is important to become a part of the community in appearance, dress and actions.  You don't want to be mistaken for a rich gringo who could be kidnapped for ransom. This can happen in any part of Mexico.  Juan suggested that I NOT wear my red OHIO STATE sweatshirt when I went walking on the beach alone in the very early mornings, I have never been in a situation where I felt discomfort or fear. I am out and about a lot.  I talk to people I don't know  in shops, coffee bars, etc when I  pass by as I walk down to the mall area because people are friendly and they speak to me. Playas' residents are largely middle class and drive recent model
cars, follow US fashion trends and hair styles. So it is not hard to be "one of them" .

Juan said  wearing that sweatshirt SCREAMED gringo. I was literally an AD for rich gringo.....I have never  heard of any 'incidents" in Playas but then why create one? A friend vacationing in Cancun had her dangling diamond "hook" earrings ripped from her ears walking about 20 feet from a restaurant, her destination.

San Diego is just a $50 train ride from LA.  And the trolley to the border, which leaves from the train station is $2. The place to get a temporary visa is  on the left as you walk into the Mexico transition area (costs about $25 US), When you walk through  the transition area go to your left at the "cow" and exit at that gate.  You will see a gazillion yellow cabs.  Taxi Libres can't be in that area.  Just walk across the street and  then left,  down the street past MacDonalds.  Just beyond MacDonalds there is a side street to the left,,,,, you will see the Taxi Libre stand. (ask the driver for seat belts!)

Taking an orange and white (red and white) taxi libre from the border to Playas is about  $10.  DO NOT TAKE A YELLOW CAB.....price will be double.
Motel Del Coronado is across from the mall in Playas.  About $30 a night (early Motel 6 clone) but clean and there is TV. I have stayed there.  There is also Hacienda Del Mar coming into Playas also with in walking distance to the mall. Be prepared for little English.  Sanborns is a Dennys like restaurant close to the Hacienda....in the mall.
                                                                                                    Anyone wanting to give Mexico a look see by visitin Playas, can get a hold of the driver  that helps me,  Juan Garcia, 16642281111 (cell phone, must dial the one).  He would be very helpful and is incredibly honest....or you can email me for more information.  anne.b.stromberg @gmail.com.

By the way,  the police need not be a problem.  If stopped by a policeman you think is hassling you for cash,  simply call 311  and a legitimate police car will respond immediately.  I don't know about other places in Mexico but Playas is determined to have zero tolerance for hassling of tourists.

Again, find that bit of adventure hiding in your psyche  and just GO to Mexico, YOU WILL BE FINE!  If I can do it, ANYONE can do it!

You are a Godsend !

But..............are you for real?

You really did all this "at your age"?!

You sound just like my mother.

And me.

It's MY TURN for an adventure and since my last boyfriend goes to see his family all the time in San Diego, he'll come down to visit me, I'm sure.  I want to move to BAJA !

You even mentioned my hometown where I grew up!  Brownsville, TX.

I am fluent in Spanish.

So I would very much like to visit Playas, perhaps even go to coffee with YOU,
find a RE agent or look for rentals and not make any of the mistakes you made !

I do so hope you will write me back and you can help someone else discover their
dream adventure.

SKB

Closed