Thinking of moving to France

Hi my name is Michael i am 50yo and for some time i have been thinking of moving to France from Ireland, in particular the south of France.  Can anybody tell me what it is like to live and work there by way of jobs(availability), accommodation, cost of living and anything else you think i should know.  Thanks

A) You need a book about France!
B) You may stay there for several weeks to see by yourself!
C) Nobody can help you with a "everything-I-want-to-know" question.
Have you ever been there???
Do you speak french language?
These are the basics.

Hello michaelmon

There are some interesting readings in our guide :  Living in France guide so as to help members who wish to expatriate to have some basic infos.

Also I would advise you to choose the city forum in which you wish to go to gather some infos.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

If i were to come and look for a job in a place like hotel that i would not have to speak to the public until i have more French, what chance would i have?  If i start to learn french i would be talking about next year before i could move.

Thanks Kenjee

I looked at the site you gave me "living in France" and found it really helpful.
Michael

Hi \Michael,

I think you should learn a basic French before you decide to move there.unless you find a job in an international company... and you should investigate the area you want to live in.. see if you like it ... study your possibilities of jobs... with or without French speaking.. I am 22 years French expat. in London... decided next month to go and live down south of france.... I JUST CAN T WAIT!!!  bonne chance (good luck )

Hi Coco.

Thanks for your reply and advice.
Will you let me know how you get on with your move and how you find moving and living there went for you.   I will do what you say as far as i can and look into it.   I do not have a skilled job so i would be looking for anything that i could work at without too much of the language.
Beat of luck with the move.
Michael.

Hi my name is Christian I have been thinking of moving to France to stay a living. Can u advise me on wat next. Thanks Christian

Hi Christian.
in
I have asked the same question and got the reply that i should research it myself.  I think it is a case of just getting on the net and looking, unless you already have someone over there that can help you.  I would love to go myself but am finding it difficult to make the move.
Michael.

book a flight,
book a hotel,
stay there for some time and think about again ...

No french fluently? Forget it!
Not very special job talent that can not be done by locals? Forget it!
In France many people are looking for jobs themselves,- they even do NOT need someone without any skills they can not understand at all.

Hello Michael,
Here is one practical and easy guide that might help you with Employment Law in France:
click here for full details
Take care,
Sylvix

Think twice before moving to France! The job market is as it's worst.
Experience does not replace diplomas in France. The French system is very difficult to integrate, especially if you don't speak French. Even more so if you need a work visa. I myself have an EU nationality (no visa requirements and the same social rights as a French), speak fluent French, have 10 years of international marketing experience, have recently completed a TEFL course hoping to teach English in France.. and regardless of all that; I've been in France since 3 months, and unemployed for the first time in my life.
I'm not saying that there are NO possibilities in France. A lot might depend on which region you're moving to. Just be sure to do your homework and take into careful aspect all the obstacles with which you might be faced.
Good Luck

Michael,
You might find lots of info here:
MONDISSIMO

or here:
http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france

Best regards, S