Posting personal information on forums - a very bad practice

many thanks for the reminder!

wjwoodward wrote:

Yes, the moment you post any personal information on the internet (anywhere, not just here) it's out there forever. You post an e-mail address or phone number you can be guaranteed that before long you'll be getting flooded with SPAM or receiving nuisance telephone calls. You'd be surprised just how many people complain to Expat-blog that they're getting strange phone calls or spam and then they find out that they've actually posted that information themselves. Sort of shoots their complaints right out of the water!

corded interviews; online interviews; skype interviews

Hi

This is quite a serious matter.  I have come to learn that a company has been recording their interviews with people and then publishing those illegal recordings online for the public to view.  These recordings are of interviews for teaching jobs.

I urge anyone who has had online interviews to google their name and check on you tube also for their name to see if anything has been published.

I have come across a lot of videos and I am sure all these people are unaware that they are being recorded.

If you have come across your video then report this to the site where it has been published. Contact the person who has published it if possible informing them to remove it.

i am new to forums, so thanks for the advise..

hi im also new here! totally agree with you!

woohoo

I have goooood news. It seems my video recording that was put on the internet has been removed.

How? 

I wrote to all parties involved ie the interviewing company, the internet company that was used to publish it and the person who actually put it on.

Its been a very very stressfull time to get it removed.

The company stated that they apologise but the interviewer should have informed me that it is a recorded interview as the university want to see the interview and he stated that they will contact the relavent person to remove it.

Danny-Kunini wrote:

i am new to forums, so thanks for the advise..

I was new up until a few weeks ago and wish I had come accross such advice before I ended up in a distressing situation.

SO I AM  :D if I have helped even ONE person  :top:

anthony89 wrote:

hi im also new here! totally agree with you!

:top:

I am happy if I have made sense and been helpful.

I was  :sosad:  when my interview was on the internet even though it looked good lol (I got the job lol)

I just don't like to see my personal data disclosed (you just do not know who is taking note and ewww scary).

God only knows if my other interviews were recorded.  I found one recording when I googled my name. Why did I google my name? Well, it is advised to know what is on the internet about you in case potential employers come accross it.

Although my recording was positive; people may not want existing colleagues or employers knowing you are applying elsewhere before you tell them yourself.

Agreed. Especially Name and DOB.

j_khobar wrote:

Agreed. Especially Name and DOB.

indeed.

Thank God my recording has been removed after it was viewed several times but there are lots more still there where people are disclosing age the full  name is shown as the title of the recording thanks to the publisher!

Thanks fyi

I posted looking for help from expats from Ireland and my account has been suspended. Not sure why but maybe I put personal information not allowed

Perhaps you were sending out copy & paste private messages? That will get your account locked out every time. It's a definite no-no here.

yes. .its realy a bad practise to reveal personal datas in open forum. But everyone do have great knowledge how to rescue themselves from scams.

Agree with your statement...

Thanks for the advice!

Fully agree

I agree on this. Only post information about you once you met or validated the person.

Thanks for your advice really is risky to  put your email or number

Its very difficult to see who is and who is not a scam, and because of this caution is advised both ways you can quickly conclude that this is  a scam when its not! and the opposite can be very true as well. Let's discuss pointers which can help us notice scam and not.

I'm single.mother from Philippines. ,

I don't know what happen to my profile almost 3 months I join here but something wrong I could not send or reply to my private messge.

Hello

You can't send private messages because you have not PARTICIPATED in the forums enough yet.

New members must activate their message privileges by PARTICIPATING in the forums, you must post substantial contributions, reply to postings, maybe even introduce yourself. That's how it works here.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

meriam45 wrote:

I don't know what happen to my profile almost 3 months I join here but something wrong I could not send or reply to my private messge.

4 posts, two on this thread, one saying absolutely nothing.

iran2014 wrote:

I have exactly the same problem :(

see my post above

Funny to read that so many new members in EB only complain that they have problems sending pm. No intro, not reading about the rules here before registering hence not sharing informations with other users.

The admin/mods should not change anything at all with the system they had implemented in fact they should even make the rules more tight (my point of view).

Helo awareness is so good, am glad thanx for that. Be blessed. Am nw.

Yeah its true.... Thanks for the info

Thank you for this reminder. It's a great help to everybody specially who are new here, like me.

Posting details is normally a bad idea.
You'd be amazed at some of the people that try to post stuff on the forums, and what gets deleted before most even see it.
Many are very dodgy men, asking for services that are extremely dodgy, and trying to contact females with unpleasant offers.
If you post your number, these oddballs can contact you directly.
Remember, anyone can read these forums without joining up, so you're giving your details to the whole world.

Thanks for your valuable information.

AlaaHR

Thanks for the useful information.

Posting details

There are a few reasons people do this.

1 - Innocent, and no idea what sort of people collect details from the internet. Contact details, even a mobile telephone number, can often provide full name, address, and a load of other stuff you really don't want scammers, thieves and perverts to get hold of.

2 - Sex freaks - Loads of these about. They post details in order to entrap people into contacting them, usually for sex, perhaps rape, or just to be dirty perverts.
A woman poster some while ago poster her contact details in every post - except 'she' was a man trying to get sex. A female avatar does not make a female.

3 Scams - Loads of these about. They post details in order to entrap people into contacting them, usually to empty their bank accounts.

Remember - Forum posts can be seen by anyone, not just forum members.

Fred some good points

Bob K

Meet other expats and join the events

OR