Introduce myself. Canadian petroleum engineer Daniel S

Hi all,

I'd like to shoot of a quick introduction.

My name is Daniel, and I've been in Brazil for a few months now but I just moved from SP to Rio after I came here for carnival and fell in love.

I am enjoying myself immensely here, having learned Portuguese already (my Spanish helped a lot) and getting to know the culture.  I am positive that this is a place where I want to stay.  If only I can land that first job.

I'd love to get to know some others who are in a similar situation as I am, and if anyone could give me any tips or contacts for jobs in the petroleum industry I would be forever appreciative.  I do have 3 years of experience as a Schlumberger Wireline engineer in Mexico and Cuba.

Hope to here from some of you soon.  Feel free to contact me over e-mail or messages.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome to Expat-blog and to Brazil. I am a fellow Canadian, born and raised in Hamilton, ON and later moved to Vancouver, BC where I lived for 28 years before I came to Brazil 10 years ago. I am presently living in São Paulo but am planning to move to Macaé, RJ sometime this year. My wife's family all live there and she and our 4 year old son are quite homesick for everybody.

Macaé is the national petroleum capital and should be a great place for you to start job hunting. Macaé is on the north coast of RJ closer to ES, about a 4 hour drive from Rio. It might be well worth your while to go there for a few days and go to the Human Resources Dept. at Petrobras and the many other petroleum and petroleum related companies located in the city.

Please keep in touch, especially if you do find a position and will be moving to Macaé at some point in the future. Good luck with the job hunting.

Cheers,
William James (Jim) Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Jim,

Thanks for the response and advice.  I have heard from many that Macaé is the center of the petroleum world in Brazil, and who knows maybe I'll end up there.

It is always nice to talk to fellow Canadians, especially ones that share my love of Brazil.

Write anytime.

Dan

Well hello.

I'm introducing myself for commpletely selfish reasons. I know, not a great introduction. However, I find myself looking for someone and am hoping you may be the missing link.

So then, a few questions I would be delighted to have you answer.

Are you from Nelson, Canada? Were you in Cannon Beach, OR just recently with your friends for a stag night? And were you referred to by your friend as a "sidebar?"

If you are able to answer "yes" to any of these questions, well, I would say hooray!

If not, then, I absolutely apologize for bothering you. 

Cheers!

BSmith

If you're asking me the answer is no. I'm originally from Hamilton, ON Canada and lived in Vancouver, BC before coming to Brazil almost 13 years ago.

Been to Cannon Beach, OR many times and the entire Oregon coast, but that hasn't been for 15 years now.

Sorry.