Sailing Lessons?

Hi
My friend and I live in the North in Grand Baie, and are wanting to learn to sail, can anyone suggest anywhere that is good and reasonably priced?

Hi Hannah, you may perhaps post an advert in the classes secion of Mauritius classifieds, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

Hi Hannah,
You might wish to try the Grand Baie Yacht Club (GBYC), just tucked behind the Royal Palm Hotel. I've been a couple of times and whilst they are most welcoming, I'm not entirely sure what arrangements they have for training. GBYC will certainly be a good place to start your enquiries though. Here's the link: www.gbyc.info/site/
If you discover any other sailing clubs specifically for locals and/or ex-pats, do please let me know, as they appear to be very few and far between. Remarkable for an island, but I guess that's Mauritius for you.
Happy sailing!
Warmup.

Thanks for the comments.
Warmup, we have already tried GBYC they said they only teach children and were not too forthcoming, i will let you know if we find anywhere!

Hi, a friend of mine has given sailing lessons in the past.  His name is Julien (his English is good).  He is based in Pointe aux Canonniers.  Let me know if you are still looking?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Please feel note that this topic is from 2012.

Please feel free to post an advert on the Mauritius classifieds section, this might help.

Thank you,

David.

oops

Hi Mark

I was wondering if your friend still gives sailing lessons? My brother lives in Mauritius and is about to have a "significant birthday". We, his family, would like to offer him sailing lessons as a present but the Yacht Club in Grand Baie only teach children apparently.

If your friend is still offering lessons could you send me his contact details or website or information on his prices.

Thank you

AnneCam

Hi,

Many thanks for your message.

My friend does still give sailing lessons.  I suggest you canotact him directly as I am not really that involved.  His name is Jerome Desjardins.  His email is [email protected] and his phone number is [Moderated: Please send numbers in private].  He can take you through hourly rates and the set-up.  He would run the corse from Pointe aux Canonniers, just next to Grand Bay.  He may be prepared to travel to another location if needed, but you better arrange this directly with him.  He speaks Freanch and English perfectly, so no communication issues.

He uses only a small boat called a Topaz UNO, but this is the best way to learn how to sail.  The priciples of sailing are the same, no matter what size of boat you are using.

Many thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

Many thanks for the information. Will contact your friend directly. I know the Topaz Uno and that is perfectly adequate to learn to sail in.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks again

AnneCam

[moderated: no free ads please register your company in the business directory]

Hi,
I know Grand Bay is quite far but there is a Sailing school near Mahebourg,
they give great lessons to kids starting on Optimists and progressing to Laser.
And the Lagoon there is just great!
You can also do a bit of Windsurfing.
Also I think its much cheaper than anywhere else ;)
contact me if your interested.

HannahMesh wrote:

Hi
My friend and I live in the North in Grand Baie, and are wanting to learn to sail, can anyone suggest anywhere that is good and reasonably priced?

Hello
I am Alain GERARD from Mahebourg
We created in 2005 this little club mainly for depraved youth to be able to acces at the sea.
Please, go on the site below (in french at the moment)
This club is an ONG  /  NGO open to every one, and for practice  sailing
[link moderated]